Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
the unmoving tit

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zufusOffline
Grey
Joined: 25 May 2014
Total posts: 6
Location: Berlin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 14-11-2014 09:58    Post subject: the unmoving tit Reply with quote

Hi!

On the 28th of March 2005 ( I know from the date stamp on the digital fotos ), I was on an excursion some place around Berlin, Germany.

After walking outdoors, my wife and I were sitting resting in our Lancia car, when a tit came flying and sat down on the windshield wiper in front of the passenger seat. We both took instant notice of it, as you never get to see these little birds this close up. It seemed to be entirely comfortable, and did not budge, even though it must have by now become aware of our presence. They are usually very shy.

After a while, we decided to try and check just how fearless this birdie was. My wife opened the passenger door, or it was already open. She moved forward in her seat and reached around the A- beam or got out, can´t remember, then reached for the bird. It sat still, noticing the hand reaching for it, but never moved away from it.

All of this was recorded by me on still photos, which you can see here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5F2-qCal3CHWFJETEREV0Y0Y28&usp=sharing

My wife actually touched it and stroked it, again without any sign of discomfort from the bird. After some stroking, she withdrew her hand, and we just let it linger on there. We closed the car door, as it was quite cold.

We sat in the car for another while, until it finally flew off. We watched it fly off and found nothing unhealthy about the way it moved or behaved, when it started moving again. Also, when it sat on the windshield wiper, it did not seem hurt or in shock ( e.G. from crashing into a window pane ). It sat mostly still, only moving its head in the way it would. Admittedly, the tits you see around are always moving very quickly, glancing around etc., while this one seemed unnaturally "calm" for a little bird.

I know it was not Nessie, but I still found it a most unusual encounter. I know tits can become accustomed to people, as I once hand- fed one in a forest in the Swiss Alps, after watching other people feed the wild birds. But the one in my report did not seem to be after food, as it did not peck at the hand reaching for it. And certainly, no wild tit, that has learnt to feed from the hand, would tolerate being stroked.

So, any suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 9788
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 14-11-2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the bird had been flying for an extended period, and it needed a rest for a while, until it had regained its energy.
It may have been unresponsive because its metabolism briefly became slower (perhaps it had low blood sugar).
Back to top
View user's profile 
jimv1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Total posts: 2990
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 15-11-2014 00:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
It's possible that the bird had been flying for an extended period, and it needed a rest for a while, until it had regained its energy.
It may have been unresponsive because its metabolism briefly became slower (perhaps it had low blood sugar).


Congratulations on your remote diagnosis.
You are now the Tit Whisperer.
Back to top
View user's profile 
poozlerOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Total posts: 188
Location: melbourne australia
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 15-11-2014 06:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please can we have a 'like' button? I want to 'like' jimv1's response. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 9788
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 15-11-2014 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:
It's possible that the bird had been flying for an extended period, and it needed a rest for a while, until it had regained its energy.
It may have been unresponsive because its metabolism briefly became slower (perhaps it had low blood sugar).


Congratulations on your remote diagnosis.
You are now the Tit Whisperer.


Laughing

I love tits.
Back to top
View user's profile 
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 21794
Location: Dublin
Age: 0
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 15-11-2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
jimv1 wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:
It's possible that the bird had been flying for an extended period, and it needed a rest for a while, until it had regained its energy.
It may have been unresponsive because its metabolism briefly became slower (perhaps it had low blood sugar).


Congratulations on your remote diagnosis.
You are now the Tit Whisperer.


Laughing

I love tits.


Glad you got that off your chest.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Old_ShoeOffline
Yeti
Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Total posts: 77
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 16-11-2014 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sitting on my front porch one afternoon, sipping a wee dram. I had my legs crossed and a titmouse flew down from the live oak tree in our front yard and landed on my knee. I sat still and looked at it and it just stood there on my knee looking at me. After a minute or so it flew away.
Back to top
View user's profile 
zufusOffline
Grey
Joined: 25 May 2014
Total posts: 6
Location: Berlin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 20-11-2014 16:14    Post subject: "gave up the ghost" Reply with quote

Hello tit lovers!

Thank you for your feedback.

May I use the opportunity of my own thread ( my second already!) to ask something unrelated to tits... In one edition of the magbook series of "It happened to me", the author uses the expression " my cellphone gave up the ghost". This struck me as funny, as this is a German expression, which I would have thought translates not very well into English. The fella has an English name, though. My question to you native English speaking ghost specialists out there is, do you ever say "it gave up the ghost" about something that has ceased functioning?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top
View user's profile 
RosebudsOffline
On the road to nowhere, just south of Sanity.
Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Total posts: 88
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 20-11-2014 16:26    Post subject: Re: "gave up the ghost" Reply with quote

zufus wrote:
Hello tit lovers!

Thank you for your feedback.

May I use the opportunity of my own thread ( my second already!) to ask something unrelated to tits... In one edition of the magbook series of "It happened to me", the author uses the expression " my cellphone gave up the ghost". This struck me as funny, as this is a German expression, which I would have thought translates not very well into English. The fella has an English name, though. My question to you native English speaking ghost specialists out there is, do you ever say "it gave up the ghost" about something that has ceased functioning?

Thanks for your help.


I have used that phrase all my life, learned it from my parents. Had no idea it was German in origin. Very Happy

Is there a thread for where common phrases come from?
Back to top
View user's profile 
zufusOffline
Grey
Joined: 25 May 2014
Total posts: 6
Location: Berlin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 21-11-2014 08:30    Post subject: ghost in the head Reply with quote

Thank you, rosebuds!

The reason I´m asking is that the word "ghost" in English does not normally refer to somebody´s mind, spirit or soul/ lifeforce/ anima or does it?

You would not say: "before his ghost´s eye", but rather: " before his mind´s eye" or "they were with him in ghost" - it would be : "they were with him in spirit". In both expressions, the German word used in place of mind or spirit would be "Geist", same as the old Poltergeist or common Geist, a spook. Geist means spirit, mind, soul, and also ghostly apparition.

That´s why: "giving up the ghost (lifeforce)" makes sense in German, although it is half-joking, referring to unanimated objects ceasing to function.

All this reminds me of the old quip:
What do the ghosts drink on Halloween?
-Spirits!
Back to top
View user's profile 
MonstrosaOnline
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Total posts: 637
PostPosted: 22-11-2014 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

To "give up the ghost".
Quote:
Meaning

To die, or in the case of inanimate objects, to cease working.

Origin

There are many uses of this phrase in the Bible, including this, from Miles Coverdale's Version, 1535, Acts 12:23:

Immediatly the angell of the LORDE smote him, because he gaue not God the honoure: And he was eaten vp of wormes, and gaue vp the goost.

The metaphorical use of the phrase, that is, in relation to something not living and not able to become a ghost, is 19th century; for example, James Kirke Paulding's, Westward Ho!, 1832, includes:

"At length it gave up the ghost, and, like an over-cultivated intellect, became incurably barren."
From The Phrase Finder
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group