Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Spooky Sheep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si_HullOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 15:29    Post subject: Spooky Sheep Reply with quote

Hi all.

I witnessed a strange 'event' very recently and would like to share it with you.

As this is my first post I want to give you a little bit of background about me. I bought the Fortean Times mag on and off for the past 20 years or so. Recently I found the 'It Happened to Me' magbook series online and bought a few volumes and enjoyed them a lot. Last year I took out a subscription to the FT mag and have been enjoying reading since.

I am a firm believer in UFOs and ghosts, or at least that there's some sort of phenomena out there that is the reason for them, even though i've never experienced anything in those areas. This is the first thing that's ever happened to me that I can honestly say is strange.

My partner was with me at the time of the event I witnessed, and she said she'd never seen anything like it. I said nor had I but had read about this type of thing in FT. I said I'd have to write in about it and she agreed, so I checked a mag for an email and realised I could post it on the forum. So here I am. Hello to you. You guys will probably have an explanation for this and I look forward to that.

Anyway, this is what happened:

We were driving from Seahouses to Alnwick in Northumberland (I checked an online map and think it was the B1340, although I didn't note this at the time, or the second time we drove on it) on 5 Apr 2014 at 15:30 hours. My partner was driving and I was busy fiddling with my 'phone and she suddenly said "Are those sheep real?"

I looked in front of me and to the left and there was a field of sheep, maybe 150-200 of them. Every single one seemed to be in a trance and staring at something. When I say staring, I don't just mean their heads were facing the same way. Every one of their bodies were straight, all facing forward and all in line with each other. From what I could see, all their eyes were open, mouths closed, heads at the same height. Just staring, not moving. Motionless.

Their gaze was aimed over the road we were driving on and onto, or over, the fields opposite. I looked at the sheep and across the road a couple of times and all I could see, apart from fields and trees, was a wind turbine farm, around a mile away.

The whole event only lasted around 8-10 seconds as we were driving about 45mph. There were cars behind us whose occupants may, nay should, have seen it too.

The thing is, I'm 35 and i've seen lots of sheep. If they've not been laid on all fours, they've been stood grazing or looking around. I can't recall seeing any stood completely still (although I may have seen one or two of course, but don't remember), but to see a whole field of them like that? And all stood facing the exact same way with the same posture? Was very strange.

As we drove on, we wondered what had happened. What were they seeing? Something we couldn't? Were they hypnotised by the wind farm maybe? I cursed myself too. I wished i'd had my camera phone ready, but it was too quick. I wish we'd turned round straight away, but we didn't.

We did drive past the same field again the next day, Sunday 6 Apr 2014. And there we saw a normal field of sheep. Grazing, wandering around etc. Just as a field of sheep should look.

So reading about Cat Courts and things (i'm sure there are tales of sheep/animals in trances too) in FT magbooks especially, I wanted to let you all know about it.

I should also say that my partner has zero interest in the paranormal. She thinks having an interest in it is just a weird hobby people (like me) have. So for her to comment on something in the way she did (thinking the sheep were fake) suggests we must have witnessed something real and strange. She was quite scared by it in all honesty.

Cheers,
Si
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 449
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 17:49    Post subject: Re: Spooky Sheep Reply with quote

Hello Si,
you said
Si_Hull wrote:
all facing forward and all in line with each other.

Si

did you mean they were actually shoulder to shoulder?
Si_HullOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no. Apologies for the way I described it.

They were dotted randomly around the field. What I meant was, they were all stood facing the same direction. So imagine the field full of straight, equal lines, from one end to the other. All the sheep were stood on those lines, nose to tail, if that makes sense.

At least that's how it appeared in the few seconds we saw them.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26574
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Are those sheep real?"

Just staring, not moving. Motionless.

Perhaps they weren't real live sheep.

Some kind of art installation, perhaps. Or part of an advertising video?

If you're local to the area, check your local papers for anything relevent. The papers probably have an online edition, regularly updated. (Still, Saturday afternoon is pretty recent, and it may take time to filter through!)

Or you could drive back to the area and see if you can locate the sheep farmer. He might be able to tell you all about it.

Or, if you can identify the location accurately from the OS map, the higher scale versions often give farm names - armed with that info, you might be able to track the farmer down by phone or email.

Happy hunting!

And welcome to FTMB! Smile

PS: OS maps online via Bing Maps:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thoughts:

Perhaps the sheep had been hearing odd noises from the wind farm, and felt threatened?

Or:

Perhaps the sheep detected the presence of a predator or a sheepdog?

Or:

The leader of the flock behaved like this, and the others followed suit?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 07-04-2014 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
The leader of the flock behaved like this, and the others followed suit?

Those sheep were acting just like sheep! Wake up, sheeple! Oh.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5752
PostPosted: 08-04-2014 07:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bleakness of that coast and the proximity of the sheep to a wind-farm suggests they may well have been responding to the wind by aligning themselves for least resistance. Question
krakentenOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 511
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 00:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, I almost got banned from another forum for using sheeple!

Sheep will do many strange things-they are not the brightest of animals. They also imitate each others behavior.

A friend of mine was driving through North Carolina, and passed a sheep meadow, where the woolly ones had gathered into a tight mass, for reasons best known to themselves.

In the middle of the flock was a single Whitetail deer. Perhaps an orphan adopted by a ewe?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21794
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 00:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakenten wrote:
Be careful, I almost got banned from another forum for using sheeple!

Sheep will do many strange things-they are not the brightest of animals. They also imitate each others behavior.

A friend of mine was driving through North Carolina, and passed a sheep meadow, where the woolly ones had gathered into a tight mass, for reasons best known to themselves.

In the middle of the flock was a single Whitetail deer. Perhaps an orphan adopted by a ewe?

They took him to hart.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4002
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
They took him to hart.

They may doe that.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:
They took him to hart.

They may doe that.

Next they will hold stag parties.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps those sheep were playing 'pass the buck'.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Perhaps those sheep were playing 'pass the buck'.

With hindsight you might be correct.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 13-04-2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep, and other livestock too (cows certainly), display that odd hypnotised and completely static look during, and in the lead up to, thunderstorms. They also do that odd, and slightly unnerving thing, of all facing the same way. Sometimes the thunderstorm doesn't even have to break - you just need the promise of one.

I've seen such behaviour quite a few times (I was born on a sheep farm) and although in my mind's eye I always associate it with skies suddenly turning slate grey, and very heavy summer weather - it isn't limited to the summer months.

(I'm sure we had a discussion on this subject many moons ago - but I can't find it now.)
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 95
PostPosted: 12-05-2014 09:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience once, only I was on a train, and it was field after field of cows, sheep and horses (all in their own respective fields) all standing stock still, looking up, facing the same way. When we had whizzed passed them all I looked up at my husband and he had a funny look on his face. I asked him what the matter was and he said something like 'all the animals were facing the same way' !

I was quite pleased to learn it hadn't been just my fancy, because he's not one for noticing/believing in weird things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: