Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Strange Journey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NumberNineOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 18:11    Post subject: Strange Journey Reply with quote

(split from the TV Broadcasts from the Future thread at the request of the OP - Stu)

Hi. This isn't about a broadcast from the future but I don't want to start a new thread with my first post so I hope it's ok putting it here.

1989 I bought a VCR. I hadn't had one since the early 80's and you know how it is when you get a new toy, you want to play with it. I'd played the 2 pre-recorded vids I had, there was nothing on tv worth taping (only 4 channels), I was very bored and it occurred to me that I'd forgotten what a blank tape looked like if you pressed play (yes, that bored).

I had a brand new 5 pack of tapes from Woolworths, took the cellophane off, put one in the VCR and pressed play. A picture came on, scrambled but clear enough to see what was happening. It was a head and shoulders shot of a policeman in a flat cap, cars going by behind him. He was talking to the camera but there was no sound. The picture cut to a head and shoulders shot of a girl who'd obviously been victim of a car crash - she was still laying on the road, facing the camera and only had half a head/face, the underside being flat against the road.

It was disturbing and I was glad it was scrambled, although clear enough to make out details like she was wearing make up, and I surmised it was a traffic police training video. The picture cut back to the policeman who talked to camera again. After a few seconds he leaned closer to the camera and for some reason that terrified me so much I turned it off and took the tape out of the machine. I'm reminded of how much it scared me every time I see that scene from The Ring where she climbs through the screen.

I was still upset the next day and told a colleague about it. She wanted to see it. This isn't something I'd do now, but I was so determined that nobody should see it that the first thing I did when I got home from work was tape over it.

So I've wondered ever since was it was usual for video tape manufacturers to record something onto blank tapes, maybe one in every thousand or so, as a batch test? If yes, what a strange choice of test subject and a hell of a coincidence that it was the one tape I chose to try out. I did try other blank tapes from time to time over the years to see if it was the norm but they were all just blank.

The reason it disturbed me so much was that back in the early 80's me and my boyfriend had a very strange car journey where time didn't add up. At one point I was certain we were going to crash...and then there was a blip and we were suddenly approaching our destination without actually having made the journey or any time passing. Of course I could be making connections where there are none, but the girl in the video looked very like me as I'd looked back then.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent story! Something about technology mysteries is really fascinating, I think, whether it's pirate TV or numbers stations or something else. I can't explain your experience other than it was a video that somehow got mixed up with the blank batches, I doubt it was from an "official" company, maybe an employee taped something on it before it was sold?

Did you play any of the other blank tapes or were you too scared?
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2920
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I read that last paragraph, Number Nine, your story seemed quite mundane. Once I had finished, though, the hairs on my arm stood up!

Trying to look at your story logically, could it be that the blank tape was blank, but you were picking up a very faint transmission from a nearby TV region? Watching a pre-recorded film, your movie would blot out any interference from another signal, but when you were watching nothing, the noise was visible?
matt_teeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 22:37    Post subject: VHS Reply with quote

Hi Numbernine, great post, and I don't mind that you jumped onto my originally started thread. This reminds me if the film VHS,about some people who find a stack of VHS tapes and play them, leading to nasty things...

I witnessed the message from the future on a hotel tv. the strange thing is, is that I recieved an email a few years ago, saying that they saw the same thing, but they have never got back to me, and the original email has mysteriously disappeared....
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5752
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 01:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible the police video was not on the tape at all, just interference from a channel the police used to record RTAs? Question
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1908
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason it disturbed me so much was that back in the early 80's me and my boyfriend had a very strange car journey where time didn't add up. At one point I was certain we were going to crash...and then there was a blip and we were suddenly approaching our destination without actually having made the journey or any time passing. Of course I could be making connections where there are none, but the girl in the video looked very like me as I'd looked back then.

Wow. Pity you erased it. Did you recognise the policeman at all?

I've always been a bit suspicious of VCR's - there was some weird stuff at the end of a tape we had recorded the TV version of HG2G on - but I don't know the previous history of our tape, so it could have been some film or TV program I was unfamiliar with and had been imperfectly erased.
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses guys.

Gncxx - No I didn't play any of the other tapes before I recorded on them. I was disturbed by the girl but my gut reaction to the policeman was extreme (particularly as I used to be into horror stories back then and have had more than my fair share of paranormal experiences so probably scare less easily than most). I didn't want to see any more after that.

Peripart - Picking up a faint transmission from elsewhere isn't something I'd considered before and yes, that could be a possibility couldn't it? Not a film that would be transmitted during the afternoon though, a graphic depiction of a girl who'd evidently hit the road head first and at speed given that half her face was missing, so I suppose it's a possibility JamesWhitehead that it might have been something to do with interferrence from a channel the police used for RTAs. Could that happen?

Cochise - My stomach is in absolute knots here that you mention HG2G. The video tape is one part of a bigger picture, some of which I have no intention of discussing on a forum, and the link with HG2G is one of the things I'd intended steering clear of, mainly because it sounds just ludicrous! But it's a strange synchronicity that you've mentioned it, and I've wanted to ask someone who'd know about when it was written/recorded for years.

So at the risk of sacrificing my credibility by post 3 - I don't want to hijack your thread Matt_tee, shall I post some more here or would you rather I started a new thread?

Re your disappearing email, it's sometimes little things like that that make you think "There's more to this" isn't it.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem hard to believe there would be a TV broadcast of a serious accident, complete with graphic real life gore, even if it had been in the evening, which is why I suspect the images were on the tape. But that's just a hunch. Could have been a police tape? But then, the cop leaning into the camera doesn't sound normal for such a thing.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2013
PostPosted: 02-03-2014 09:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like real video footage from a real event, either to be used for training or the crash investigation.

I'm leaning towards training or briefing footage, but the police don't usually have any need to broadcast video so they wouldn't have the equipment to do that.

Very weird for it to end up on a shop-bought 'blank' tape though! Even if someone had taken a copy home or left one on a train or something, how on earth did it get in to shop stock?

Great story!
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 07-03-2014 08:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gncxx and CarlosTheDJ, those are the lines I've been thinking along.

Cochise wrote:
Quote:

Wow. Pity you erased it. Did you recognise the policeman at all?

I've always been a bit suspicious of VCR's - there was some weird stuff at the end of a tape we had recorded the TV version of HG2G on - but I don't know the previous history of our tape, so it could have been some film or TV program I was unfamiliar with and had been imperfectly erased.

Even though I hadn't consciously remembered the end of this phone call or thought it through and put the pieces together at the time I saw that video I think my subconscious did remember and, in part, it goes some way to explaining why I had such a violent gut reaction to that policeman.

c1975. I was having a disagreement with my Nan. Part way through she referred to something that she had absolutely no way of knowing would matter to me. It was a secret that I hadn't mentioned to anyone at all, hadn't even hinted to anyone about it, I'd only thought about it and it shocked me to the core that she said it. I didn't say a word, just let it pass.

Soon after I was babysitting and the phone rang. I was wide awake, this wasn't a dream. I answered and it was a recording of a middleaged man with quite a posh voice talking about his bath and how he loved his rubber ducky. It sounded like it had been recorded in a bathroom, echoey, drips, gurgles and splashes. It was funny and I stood there laughing away thinking it was the couple I was babysitting for having a joke as none of my friends had the phone number and my family didn't have a phone back then.

But this tape went on and on, not on a loop, the drips and splashes were in different places and the inflections and pauses in what he was saying were different, but he wasn't saying anything new so after a while it stopped being funny and started to get boring. I asked "Who is this?" expecting to hear the couple laughing, but still he droned on. I started to feel a bit irritated, because it wasn't funny any more and the couple would have realized that by now, and demanded "Who is this?" He made another comment about how he loved his rubber ducky and then without missing a beat said "...and isn't it funny (or odd or strange) what your Nan said about..." and he said the secret!

It hit me like a punch to the stomach that this wasn't a recording, this was a real person! It was a distinctive voice and it wasn't anyone I knew. In retrospect it was how I'd imagine hypnosis to be, a repetitive droning on and then when the time was right suddenly reaching into you and grabbing your whole attention.

I think I must have slipped into a trance-like state almost immediately after he said that and, although I hadn't noticed what time it was when it rang, suspect I was on that phone for a long time. The next thing I knew I started to come up out of this state because his voice was changing. I was unfocussed but knew he'd been telling me things that were going to happen in my future (I have no memory of what he said). What snapped me out of it into completely alert, terrified consciousness was that his voice became full-on demonic as he snarled "You and your boyfriend are going to be killed in a car crash." I slammed the phone down.

By the time the couple came home I was in a terrible state. I heard their taxi pull up and wanted to run to the window to see if it was them, but the phone was on that windowsill and I was too frightened to pull the curtain back for fear of what I might see. The woman came in first and I remember leaping out of the chair, landing in the middle of the room and shouting in her face. I told them about the "funny" phone call (by this stage I think I'd already blocked out the last thing he'd said because I couldn't cope with it. I just focussed on the first part and refused to think about why I was so petrified) hoping that they'd laugh and say "Gotcha!" and it would all just be a joke, but they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, they were just bemused that I was hysterical, shouting and waving my arms around, which was totally out of character for me. Probably by the next day I'd put it out of my mind completely.

Early 1981 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was shown on tv for the first time. I have little interest in sci fi, wasn't aware it had been on the radio, didn't know anything about it other than someone had mentioned it was a book and there was a character called Zaphod Beeblebrox who had 2 heads. I only watched at all because there was so much talk about the animatronic head.

During the first ep this phone call, that I hadn't thought about since it had happened (and that I only remembered the funny part of at that moment), popped into my head and I told my then boyfriend who I was watching with about it, about the guy in the bath saying he loved his rubber ducky. I said I felt sure it was from this programme. He asked me if I'd seen it before. I told him no, it was a new series. He asked why I thought it would be from this programme. I didn't know, it was just a feeling. He pointed out that it was sci fi, it was about space, and he didn't think there'd be a man in a bath talking about his rubber ducky in a programme like that. He looked at me like I was mad and I remember feeling embarrassed that I'd said such a stupid thing and couldn't justify why I'd thought that. I didn't own a tv at the time and only caught the first couple of episodes so didn't see how it ended.

Cb radio was popular in '81 and we were invited on a convoy. I was suddenly gripped with an irrational fear that there'd be a crash and me and that boyfriend would be killed. People asked me why but I couldn't explain, it was just a feeling. They were confused at how adamant I was and said I was being paranoid, the person who'd be driving us was an excellent driver. I let them persuade me to go. There was a crash and me and another person were hurt, but not badly. I still have a scar as a reminder but we both escaped with minor injuries. My boyfriend wasn't hurt at all. I just felt relief that my (at that stage inexplicable) premonition hadn't been as serious as I'd thought it was going to be and dropped my "paranoia" that me and my boyfriend were going to be killed in a car crash.

1982 I was with a different boyfriend and we watched the repeat of HG2G and I finally got to see the last ep with the Captain of the B Ark, in his bath and talking about his rubber ducky in the same voice I'd heard all those years ago. I told my boyfriend about the (funny part of the) phone call and was quite excited that I'd been right all along that that scene (or a brief snippet of it) was in the programme, since the previous boyfriend had made me feel stupid for thinking it was. I didn't think about the being killed with my boyfriend in a car crash thing at all because at that stage I hadn't made the link to my premonition being connected to that phone call and anyway, I'd had the crash and hadn't been killed, it was over and done with I thought. It was shortly after this that we had the strange car journey I mention in my first post.

I didn't remember the end of the phone call and why I'd been so terrified that night until years later. I've since listened to the tape of the radio show and it wasn't that, the bath & rubber ducky part is as brief as the tv programme and it isn't echoey with drips, gurgles and splashes. Looking it up online I read that HG2G wasn't written until 1978. Anyone know if the Captain of the B Ark section had been recorded previously?

A traffic policeman's cap is very similar to the Captain of the B Ark's cap.

What was on the end of your video Conchise?
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1908
PostPosted: 07-03-2014 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snatches of disjointed and fuzzy stuff that looked like a detective film of some kind - there was a bit of a car chase, and someone (male) in an ambulance, but it was all kind of compressed as if the recorder had been turned on and off during a program. It was definitely a British recording from the cars. We didn't recognise the program or the characters at all.

Sorry, can't remember more clearly than that - we just found it a bit odd as we thought it was a blank tape, but it wasn't fresh out of the cellophane so it could have been used before. I very much doubt I still have the tape. I do have some old tapes but tended to keep only the pre-recorded ones as home recordings don't last too well.
special_farcesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 204
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NumberNine. Very interesting story involving phone and TV weirdness, premonition, dread and others knowing your inner thoughts and secrets.

I'm intrigued by the H2G2 element. Getting a phone call in 1975 from Aubrey Morris playing a fictional TV character first broadcast in early 1981 (but based on a character developed for radio and broadcast in April 1978) is pretty Fortean! No part of H2G2 had been recorded / broadcast prior to 1978, and I don't think Douglas Adams had even thought up the plot-line involving the Golgafrinchans until he began to extend his original script for H2G2 in late 1977 / early 1978.

Of course [plot spoiler here if you have are planning on accessing H2G2 though its dozens of print, broadcast, digital and film iterations] the B Ark is what completely messes up the mice's quest for the ultimate question.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 2008
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Number Nine. yeay

I think I would pee myself if some of that happened to me!
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conchise - Does the person you were watching with remember any more details? I'm intrigued.

Special_farces - Yes the situation involves several seemingly different Fortean topics, but some of them perhaps aren't as far removed from each other as they appear to be.

OneWingedBird - Yes, these certainly aren't pleasant memories.

There were 2 blips on the strange car journey. Something happened that initially seemed absolutely ordinary, but a few minutes later it took a very sudden turn into something else completely. I have only a partial memory of what happened and I'm glad about that, all these years later it still gives me goosebumps thinking about it, I'm not ready to remember more and I'm not going to detail the bit I do remember here. There was a...continuity blip. My boyfriend hadn't noticed so I pointed it out to him.

He went to pieces. We were on the motorway, sometime after 1am, there was no traffic in front of us and we were travelling at speed. He kept his foot on the accelerator but took his hands off the steering wheel. He wasn't looking where we were going, he was looking at me, screaming hysterically and hitting the steering wheel with his forearm. I remember backing up against the door and pressing my back into it as hard as I could, shocked and terrified at his reaction, and then felt a twist of utter terror in the pit of my stomach as I felt the wheels leave the road. My last thought was that we were going to crash, that he was going to kill us.

And then there was another blip. I was suddenly sitting facing forwards again and a "label" for what had happened leading up to the first blip popped into my mind. I was inappropriately calm, because that label, odd as it was, made sense and gave me something I could relate to to focus on. He'd stopped screaming and I told him the label and turned my head to look at him. He looked shocked and was confused by what I'd said but he had one hand on top of the steering wheel and was driving again, alternating between glancing at the road and looking at me. He asked what I meant and I explained it to him in an inappropriately dismissive manner. He was baffled into silence by the explanation but it and my matter of fact attitude seemed to calm him somewhat.

I remember reaching for the cigarettes on the dash, lighting 2 and handing him one and then him saying "***...We're here." "Where?" I asked. "We're here, this is (our destination)" he said, and pointed out a landmark. Then he asked if I knew what time it was. Neither of us wore watches, the clock on the dash had to be wrong so he turned the radio on. The clock wasn't wrong. All the way through the town centre he was looking at clocks and saying it wasn't physically possible.

We'd travelled approximately 350 miles, witnesses at both ends of the journey and 45 minutes apart.

Interesting thread here; http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread702647/pg1&mem=
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked by a couple of people to post here because of a post I made on Digital Spy, where there's a narrower limit on how much I'm willing to say. I'm Doll Feet on there (not to be confused with Dolls). The boyfriend I was looking for in this post is the one I watched the repeat of HG2G and had the strange car journey with.

What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you? (Part 1)
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376448

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=52814867&postcount=1447

I'm reluctant to post this one and am going to leave the odder details out, but maybe your friend is just the person to ask.

Summer '81 I was in Piccadilly Circus and was quite distressed. A couple approached me, were sympathetic to what had happened and offered to take me for a coffee. We were right by a coffee shop but the woman said she knew a cafe in Piccadilly tube station so down we went, the entrance opposite The Regent Palace Hotel, and there was this little cafe tucked away right next to the stairs.

We were the only customers, there was a waitress in a pink gingham 50's costume and an old woman at one end behind a counter on which there was a strange Heath Robinson contraption made of copper. I couldn't work out what the hell it was, it stretched the length of the counter, and I felt very unnerved by the old woman who stared intently at me the whole time we were there. Everything about her seemed to be gray.

Something strange happened (sorry to be so vague but this is very personal) and I ran out of the cafe, up the stairs and straight into the arms of my boyfriend who I'd been looking for. The couple came out after me and the woman spoke to my boyfriend, said she was relieved I'd found him and commented on how odd the strange thing that had happened was.

A couple of years later I was in Piccadilly tube station with a friend and remembered the cafe, reflected on how I'd been up and down the stairs opposite The Regent Palace Hotel countless times and never so much as glanced at it, which was odd considering what had happened there. I asked the friend if he fancied a coffee and we headed for the cafe.

It wasn't there. He said there'd never been a cafe there and I argued that there had been, it must have been bricked over...until he pointed out that the wall tiles were original and had been there since the station was built.

We checked every entrance to the station even though I knew for a fact which entrance it had been next to. The only thing resembling a cafe was the snack bar in the ticket hall. I was so distressed that my friend stopped a guard and asked if there used to be a cafe down there. The guard said no.

I've since read several accounts of people visiting cafes/restaurants and later finding that they didn't exist. Maybe your friend could shed some light on this Andie. I'd be very happy to hear that that cafe did exist in '81 - but given the things I'm not comfortable discussing I wouldn't bet on it."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57620641&postcount=2237

It's a shame I can't elaborate further Voddy but all it would achieve would be opening myself up to ridicule and (understandable) disbelief.

As you've brought it up again though Pinkteddy I would like to elaborate on one detail, that I'd omitted to be concise, just to discount the "obvious" explaination - that I'm mistaken on the location;

The only reason I was there was because I'd received a letter from my boyfriend (which I still have) asking me to write and say if I still wanted anything to do with him. The address he gave to write back to was The Regent Palace Hotel, which is directly across the road from the tube station. I didn't know until I got there that this was just a postal address, he was actually living in his car.

The woman approached me in the lobby of the hotel and, despite there being a coffee shop there with windows onto the lobby, suggested I leave a note with the receptionist saying I was in the cafe in Piccadilly tube station, in case my boyfriend turned up while we were there - so this is how I can be absolutely certain of the location, I actually wrote it down and vividly remember going down the tube station stairs, the cafe, and running back up on to Glasshouse St. My boyfriend was there despite not having seen the note.

Why I still hold on to a sliver of hope that the cafe did actually exist I don't know, because it makes no difference whatsoever to the other inexplicable aspects.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=52937482&postcount=1519

Thanks for the links PL. Quoting from the last one;

"Looking back, the really strange thing was the silence. The way the church bells stopped ringing as the little group of naval cadets neared the village. The way even the ducks stood quiet and motionless by the shallow stream that ran across the road where the main street began.

And, when the boys thought about it afterward, they recalled that even the autumn birdsong faded as they neared the first houses. The wind had dropped to nothing, too."

and...

"Some key elements of the incident—the silence, the lack of life—are highly suggestive of derealization, a psychological condition in which the real world seems unreal"

The odd shared aspect that I mentioned in post #1484;

I ran up the stairs and stopped dead because there was my boyfriend exactly where I knew he'd be several metres down Glasshouse St. He saw me and froze in shock as I was the last person he was expecting to see. We stood frozen like that for a good 10 or more seconds, for me because at the time I was experiencing 2 other very strange things simultaneously, one being that everything was completely silent. It wasn't just quiet, it was absolutely silent and yet just metres behind me was one of the busiest places in London, packed with traffic and crowds of people.

My natural impulse was to turn around and look at what had happened because it had to be something big for the whole of Piccadilly Circus to be silent, but I distinctly remember deciding against doing this. My boyfriend opened his arms and I ran to him. As he put his arms around me sound started up again.

Something happened later that day and culminated the next day leaving us very shaken. This prompted my boyfriend to say that actually something odd had happened to him the previous day. He said that when he glanced up and saw me standing there all sound had stopped, total, absolute silence, and hadn't started again until he put his arms around me. He said he hadn't mentioned it before because he thought I'd think he was mad. I told him me too.

He had asked me about what the woman told him about the odd thing that happened in the cafe but I hadn't mentioned the silence thing at all.

For this reason I'd disagree that there's a psychological explaination for it. It's a phenomena that's been reported in a variety of paranormal situations.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57659193&postcount=2277

I can appreciate that it might come across that way but I'm not teasing, I made it clear in my initial post on this that there were areas I wasn't comfortable discussing on here.

This isn't "entertaining" to me and it certainly wasn't to the people who experienced related incidents with me, including that boyfriend who, after an incident a couple of years later that was witnessed and impossible to explain away, ended up having a screaming, thrashing nervous breakdown that effectively ended the relationship. That was not pleasant to watch. There are aspects of this that are profoundly upsetting and it's a subject that you can't expect sensitivity over.

-0-

The incident I referred to in that post (which would have been '82, not a couple of years later) was the strange car journey, with witnesses at either end of it who could confirm our departure and arrival time. He had a breakdown the next day and had to go and stay with his parents.

The cafe was there in '81 (and there was something odd about that whole situation in itself), but not when I looked for it c'83/'84.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: