Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Strange Journey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9663
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted that before? It somehow seems familiar.
NumberNineOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone quoted it from DS in the These Roads Lead Where? thread.
amarok2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 220
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 04:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tales of "phone strangeness" have always fascinated me. Maybe it's because something speaks right out of the ether into your ear!

The account of the "man with the rubber ducky" reminded me of an article by journalist Rick Moran, “Point Pleasant Revisited,” in Fortean Times No. 156 (April 2002). Moran was visiting the home turf of West Virginia's infamous Mothman. Nothing particularly interesting happened while he was there, but when he returned home, Moran’s children complained that they heard clicks and whirs on the home phones, as well as unknown persons discussing the family. A friend of Moran’s claimed that she had called the house and conversed for ten minutes with someone who sounded like the journalist and who knew things only a member of the immediate family would know. Suddenly the voice on the phone laughed “demonically” and continued, “Oh, you wanted to talk to Rick. Sorry, I’m all alone with the children.” Shocked The next day someone called Moran’s wife and warned that Moran should forget about UFOs and Point Pleasant if he cared about his family. The Morans by this time had installed a device that could trace calls. When a representative of the phone company read the trace, however, he reported, as in any good urban legend, that the call had originated within the Morans’ house!

Nothing really bad ever happened to Moran's family, however.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1845
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 08:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Number Nine, it was my wife that made the recording and that I watched the tape with, but she's no longer with us. Nothing Fortean, all-too-common cancer.
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarok2005 - Interesting. I have that issue of FT somewhere but don't remember the article. I'll look for it and reread it. It's a long time since I read Mothman Prophecies. The two things that stuck in my mind were him mentioning that people have visited cafes/restaurants that later turned out not to exist and "You noticed them, and they noticed that you noticed them."

Cochise - Thank you for replying. I am sorry to hear about your wife.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1242
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 04:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read the original post and skimmed the first page of comments, but my question is: Was the film clear enough to get a good picture of the physical location, and if so did you compare that with the area you had the possible time lapse?
NumberNineOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was just a hedge in the background Human_84. It could have been anywhere.
GingerTabbyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 98
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the above-mentioned article about Rick Moran's phone strangeness following his visit to Mothman territory. For some reason it's one of those FT gems that sticks in my mind. If I recall correctly, the article stated that Mr Moran had previously spent a number of years writing about organised crime and during that time he had experienced no strangeness of any sort nor had he received any threats. Very odd that the strangeness should start after he investigated the Mothman incident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: