Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cardboard Boxes Following Me - Help Needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioDJOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:10    Post subject: Cardboard Boxes Following Me - Help Needed Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Now this may sound even more leftfield than I've seen on this forum before, and I am sure there will be scepticism abound, but please hear me out. I have searched for similar phenomena via google and this very website but nothing comes close.

I have always been a "believer" in all things supernatural. I think it is incredibly naive to think we are the only sentient beings in the universe but I need to stress that I can be cynical with some stories of the unexplained. I feel that I have a good head for assessing a situation and reacting to it in a coherent and sensible way. I want to also say that I have not experienced anything supernatural before this incident, but ever since there has been a presence. I will start at the start...

Last year, summer 2013, I was on my way home (I live in Essex in the UK, but originally from London) on a bright, cloudless day, when I spotted something blocking the pavement in front of me. It was a plain cardboard box, about knee height and perfectly square. It was naturally brown and looked brand new. It was upside down so I could not see the contents. Nothing weird here so far.
So I turned up the music on my phone and merrily walked near the box, stepping around it, and then on my regular path. I instinctively looked back at the box and I had not disturbed it and it remained in place. I turned back around and walked away, when over my music I heard scraping. I looked behind me and saw that the box had moved approx 1 metre from its original place. I thought to myself "That's odd, I didnt feel any wind..." and carried on walking towards home.

Minutes later I was nearly home. I had walked across a park and around quite a few corners and then I saw something that made me stop in my tracks. There was that same box again. Right in the middle of my path, a few streets away from my home. I walked up to it to check if it was the same box, but it wsa hard to tell, as most cardboard boxes look the same. I pushed my foot against it, just to say if there was any weight to it. It didn't move, so it felt like either there was something inside, holding it down, or it was stuck somehow. Again, I thought it was a bit odd, but not too strange. I continued.

I was nearly home now and could hear scraping again, like nails down a blackboard, and this was over my loud music. I turned the music down to make sure it wasn't part of the song that I hadn't noticed before... but the scraping continued. I turned around and the scraping stopped. There it was. A box, a cardboard box sitting there, only a few feet away. This was a bit too much for me and I belted it home. I couldnt tell anyone about this, because it sounds bonkers.

I hadn't seen anything like this since, until 2 days ago when I opened my front door to pop to the shops. There was an unmarked box sitting there. I have to admit, it freaked me out a little, but I found the courage to pick it up. It had nothing inside, and obviously someone left it for me? It's in my spare room now and I am going to lock it in there until I know what to do with it.

Any help much much welcome! Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks,

dJ
LimelightOffline
Shiny
Total posts: 36
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone cosplaying Solid Snake? I'm only half joking. Was it a big enough box for someone to be in it?
RadioDJOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limelight wrote:
Someone cosplaying Solid Snake? I'm only half joking. Was it a big enough box for someone to be in it?

its very small. I guess a small child could crouch down inside it but I don't even want to think of that.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2352
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're quite, quite certain you don't live in a Monty Python sketch? Because it'd make a brilliant one...

I'd suggest you break the box you retrieved down for recycling, but without knowing the parameters that might be dangerous.
RadioDJOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeniG wrote:
And you're quite, quite certain you don't live in a Monty Python sketch? Because it'd make a brilliant one...

I'd suggest you break the box you retrieved down for recycling, but without knowing the parameters that might be dangerous.

I AM seeing them on tour soon, but no, this is unfortunately real. I don't really want to touch the box too much!
StillillOffline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is remote controlled car under there and a friend is playing a joke on you?
RadioDJOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillill wrote:
Maybe there is remote controlled car under there and a friend is playing a joke on you?

That's a very elaborate joke and very specific seeing as nobody knew where I'd be at those times. I do like your Smiths themed username though. Thumbs up!
StillillOffline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion although an unlikely one. Well spotted on The Smiths connection though????
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 451
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill it up with back-issues of Fortean Times. Make it work for its board and lodgings.
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1790
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did once post a FOAF tale on another thread who claimed she had witnessed a box floating across a lane one morning on her way home from clubbing.

The only Fortean box story I know....
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1542
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillill wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of an animal rather than a remotely controlled toy. This is based on a precedent ...

Years ago some friends made an entertainment of placing a box (or similar enclosing object) over one or another of their cats. Once the cat gave up on trying to claw its way out from under the box, it would randomly (and most often silently) push its enclosure around the floor (or yard ...).

(Yes, it sounds stupid, but I assure you it was always good for laughs ...)

I'm reminded of this exercise because a long-enclosed cat would often start following the footsteps of anyone walking nearby.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 353
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 22:01    Post subject: Re: Cardboard Boxes Following Me - Help Needed Reply with quote

When you say you heard a scraping, like fingernails on a blackboard, loud enough for you to hear above your music, do you mean the kind of noise a heavy cardboard box would make if it were to be dragged across a pavement? Or are we talking about some kind of noise that doesn't remotely resemble anything cardboard should make?
Spudrick68Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1227
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that one person was moving the box ahead of you while another used a phone to record your reactions? I'm just throwing an idea out here.
SwiftyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 519
PostPosted: 02-06-2014 00:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box.
trevp66Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 259
PostPosted: 02-06-2014 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a 'Parabox'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth_Parabox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: