Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Translocating book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XEPER_Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 35
PostPosted: 29-06-2014 22:03    Post subject: Translocating book Reply with quote

I was going to take my 6 year old daughter to the library the other week so we went up to her bedroom to find the books she had borrowed.
We spent ages hunting for "The Secret Garden" and eventually found it under her bed IIRC. So we left it on top of the bed and continued to look for the rest of the books for a few minutes.
When we were ready to go, we went to pick up "The Secret Garden" and...it wasn't there. Neither of us had left the room, or moved it, so we just looked at each other like this is freaky.
We hunted for it again but couldn't find it, so we gave up and went downstairs to the living room where my wife was sitting. There, on the couch beside her was "The Secret Garden".
She hadn't come upstairs and didn't know how the book had got there.
We took it back and had it checked in and forgot about it, but a few weeks later on another visit we were told we still had "The Secret Garden" checked out and had to return it!
I told the librarian we most certainly HAD returned it weeks earlier and she said she'd remove it from the system.
A few weeks after that, on another visit, we found the book on one of the shelves.
It was all really weird.

EDIT to add: When I lose things I try - as many of us here do - asking the goblins/fairies if they'll return said item (making sure to thank them when they do). I'm not 100% certain but I'm sure I'd have tried that in this case.

Last edited by XEPER_ on 29-06-2014 22:36; edited 1 time in total
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12983
PostPosted: 29-06-2014 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any supernatural element in The Secret Garden? I can never remember. It'd be appropriate if there was.
XEPER_Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 35
PostPosted: 29-06-2014 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I remember. Actually, I might be wrong, but I think they find a mysterious key that opens the secret garden and has been lost. I'm not sure, she's able to read books by herself now so I don't think I read all of that one to her.
escargot1Online
Total posts: 13579
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 06:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of my favourite books as a child. There's a lot in it that's unsaid. Highly symbolic. Cool

I'd be thinking, that book wants to stay here, and clicking on Amazon. Wink

A book doesn't need to be magical to have power. Books and the ability to read them are mighty in themselves. Very Happy
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 695
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thought, Escargot.

Sometimes it's important for a book to be where it is.

I checked out "Invisible Horizons" by Vincent Gaddis and a couple of others ("Driftless Spirits" and "Northern Frights"), while I was in a certain city (name withheld to prevent them coming after me....).

I read them thoroughly, then went to return them only...I couldn't find the library.

I had never been there before checking out those books, but I lived in that city and it's not difficult to figure out the layout. This is the age of the internet. I knew the street layout and exactly where the entrance was supposed to be.

I can't count the number of times I circled the block --and the surrounding blocks-- only to find that the library wasn't there.

I took it as a cue that maybe I should hold on to the books. I still want to make it back there and give them a substantial donation (for completely altruistic reasons and also to clear my conscience because I truly love the idea of libraries).

EDIT: Clarification.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2339
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books get returned to the wrong library within the same city all the time. They stack them up and routinely ship them around the system.

Mind you, I don't expect they like it much. But it is routine. So not being able to find the specific library isn't a good excuse to keep the books! And you'll find that your card will get suspended from the whole system if you don't return books or pay fines from any one library, just as you can use the same card in all the system's libraries.

Although, since you've obviously skipped universes, you might get lucky.

There is no overt supernaturalism in The Secret Garden.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9566
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercurycrest, the library books may have a phone number on the library insert.
Try ringing them and telling them you couldn't find them.
They may well give an explanation (e.g. 'Oh, we moved across town').
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 695
PostPosted: 13-07-2014 07:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, this was more than a decade ago. I really do want to do the right thing, but I haven't been back to that city (and that particular area) more than a couple of times in the last 15 years (without the books, as I had no idea I was going to wind up there).

Yes, ultimately, they'll get the books back, but I'd be very surprised if that hadn't already ordered more copies, hence the "donation" idea.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to address a couple of things....They didn't move anywhere. I simply couldn't find the building. at all.

And damnation, they used to let you see other posts as you were typing up your response...I might have to edit this again in a bit....

EDIT II: PeniG, I'm well aware of how that works (It's great in Milwaukee County), but given the layout of that city, this was the only library anywhere close to me. I had honestly gone looking for it, but couldn't seem to find it again. Not an excuse, but a reason. Bear in mind that I had limited access to the internet at the time, it being a "novelty", sure to wear off.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: