Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
When things turned upside down
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2862
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 00:14    Post subject: When things turned upside down Reply with quote

I remember John Cleese saying that the reason he could be so free with his comedy was down to a belief that, inherently, the world was an organised place with pockets of chaos strewn around it. Then, one day he realised the opposite is the case. The world is inherently mad with only pockets of sanity.

I guess this was his world turned upside down moment,

Personally, mine was when I realised Jesus never existed. 'Shit. All THAT for that'.

(And the FT article on Kenneth Arnold's sighting...that was pretty good too).

Anyone had an epiphany that changed your mindset for good?
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 270
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about 7 when I realised that hating my parents wasn't a passing phase.

And then 30 seconds later I realised that once I was old enough I could leave and have nothing to do with them ever again.

Have had no contact since 1983. I don't know if they are alive or dead.

And yes, it was the right decision.
SwiftyOnline
Great Old One
Total posts: 381
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 08:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad telling me I was unplanned and he'd never wanted a son was a shocker .... bizarrely, that confession brought us closer together .. I think it was something he knew he shouldn't say and was revealed after a big argument but after everything had calmed down. He's been a lot more decent with me ever since and we get on more like old friends now Smile

He had a dark sense of humour that I've inherited. One year, me and my big sister were told not to come down stairs too early on Christmas morning because if we saw Father Christmas, all our presents would turn to coal dust. We were as good as gold and waited until 6am, ran downstairs and Santa's legs were still visible in the chimney. Dad had used wellington boots, chicken wire, red crepe paper and cotton wool along the top of the wellys. I burst out crying and my parents came down stairs laughing and calmed me down. Maybe this story belongs in the They F you up your Mum and Dad thread. Before everyone reading starts hating my Dad, one year we all went to the seaside with my sister's kids. The kids wanted to collect shells on the beach but my Dad had already scoped the area and didn't want them to be disappointed so he instructed we go to a local shop and buy loads of shells and scatter them about before the kids turned up. We had an ace time watching them turn themselves inside out with excitement at finding shells from all around the world Laughing

I think my Dad became a more polished Grandad than a Dad because Santa isn't real but shells always are Wink Wink
SwiftyOnline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 08:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Frideswide Crying or Very sad .... my Dad during his apology admitted that he'd never had kids before and didn't know what to do on the parenting front ... without knowing the details of your pain, I hope one day you can all see eye to eye but also apologise if that isn't possible for you .. good luck either way. XX
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 09:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swifty, loved your story, that was a classy thing to do! yeay

And your good wishes are gratefully accepted.
SwiftyOnline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 09:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frideswide wrote:
Swifty, loved your story, that was a classy thing to do! yeay

And your good wishes are gratefully accepted.

Cool and have a bit of this in yer face X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1738
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was scary ill with a chest infection over Christmas and New Year 2011/12, like I still wasn't quite right the following April, but anyhow, while I was laying in bed wondering if I'd make it I had a Blackadder's Christmas Carol type epithany about how I needed to stop being so damn nice to people, which moved me on to realise that I had a lot of people leeching off of me.

This led me to dispose of an elderly neighbour who I had been caring for, which aside from him probably not really needing my help, he has since reconciled himself with his daughters, who I'm certain now I was unintentionally enabling him to treat like filth.

Also disposed of my repressed memory therapist who I later did a FOI request to discover that she wasn't even qualified as a therapist at all. Shocked And sacked my doctors surgery leading to my finally getting some effective treatment for constant chronic pain I'd been having for nearly a decade.

If I hadn't done those things, I don't think I'd have been able to finish the last year of my accountancy course then get back to work.

That sounds great now, but most of it was pant wettingly scary at the time. Laughing

Quote:

1986 for me, one is dead now, the other may be, I'll check sometime when I can be bothered. Twisted Evil
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:

Quote:

1986 for me, one is dead now, the other may be, I'll check sometime when I can be bothered. Twisted Evil

You go for it OneWingedBird! blissed
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25754
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Edwards, triple-jump Olympic gold medallist, was on TV today at the Glasgow games.
Quote:
Formerly a devout Christian, he also presented episodes of the BBC Christian worship programme Songs of Praise, until he renounced his faith in 2007.

"Seven years on I don’t feel a gap in my life and I suppose that’s the proof of the pudding isn’t it? Had I suddenly thought that life doesn’t quite feel right, maybe I’d re-examine that – re-examine my faith. In fact, more than ever, I feel comfortable with where I am in life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Edwards_(athlete)

I was a Christian as a teenager, but like JE I suddenly realised I couldn't reconcile that belief with everything else I knew about the world.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9528
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

An eye-opener, that ^^^
He really was such a bible-basher, I'd never have thought he'd snap out of it.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13555
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teenager, no older than 17, I suddenly realised that nobody knew that I was shy and insecure unless I let them know.

So from then on I spoke up in class, stuck my oar in to conversations, expressed opinions freely and generally acted like an over-confident git. Laughing

It worked and I eventually toned it down, only because I'd found that I could still get my own way and not be ignored without being quite so pushy. Wink

Wouldn't call myself shy now. You are what you pretend to be. Cool
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 689
PostPosted: 24-07-2014 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my epiphany came about a year after I moved in with my aunt and uncle.

My stepmom had been terribly abusive, physically and emotionally. I never believed the things she'd say (you're worthless, you should kill yourself, etc.), but they have a way of getting inside your head whether you want them to or not.

I had gotten home from high school and was standing in the living room holding a poem I had just written when this feeling washed over me. The words, "It's OKAY to be GOOD at things," resounded in my head. It's like I had never learned to take pride in my work. I was rather proud of the poem and it's that which sort of broke this retaining wall of emotion and feelings that I had repressed.

Looking back, the poem's rubbish, but that instant realization let me focus on my creative side.

I wouldn't be where I am today, had I not had that epiphany.

Periodically, when I need a pick me up, I remember that sentence, wherever it came from: It's okay to be good at things
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 25-07-2014 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My moment was when I was about 12 and deeply unhappy at school/home. I was bullied and had no friends, my home life was awful & I felt sick at the thought of ever waking up again as it felt like all these bad things would never end. Then I realised that one day I'd be a grown up & could make my own decisions & go and do what ever I wanted. It was something that changed so much for me, although things got much, much worse before they got better I knew that one day I'd be in charge of me & I clung to that to get through the dark days.

Of course being an adult isn't all fun and games Wink it sure beats being an unhappy child!
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 25-07-2014 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercurycrest and cherrybomb: Yes! YES!

Testify! index2.htm
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 25-07-2014 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

blissed index2.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: