Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
When things turned upside down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1845
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 06:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me ...things that happen are events that are neutral and it's the interpretation of them that forges your spirit.

Shakespeare picked up on this when he said 'There's nothing either good nor bad but thinking makes it so'.

This ^^^ yeay
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 384
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice quote, and I've used it myself.

It only works for 99% (fake statistic alert!) of events though. Some things are just so bad that they distort things if you include them.

But I'm a great believer in making lemonsade Very Happy
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 436
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frideswide wrote:

Is that what the Marquis de Sade drinks in hot weather? Very Happy
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl

I should register it as a trademark: LemonSade - the drink for Consenting Adults only.....
gellatly68Offline
dashing,handsome & modest
Total posts: 87
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my earliest epiphanies was when I was five, and involved peas. Here it is, from my blog:
Quote:
Advertising is a wonderful thing; In adland, everyone's smiling with perfect teeth, the weather's always just so, no one has grey hair, and there are large, luxurious houses with perfect kitchens and bathrooms, and broad, empty roads along which one can swish, wearing perfect sunglasses on perfect noses, going to perfect places where one will have completely fulfilling, perfect sex with one's perfect partner. A vertitable Tir-nan-Og. And it's all perfect bollocks, but it still makes us drool and wander off to the shops to stock up on this or that frippery in the hope that it will make our lives just a little less imperfect, a little more controlled.
I have hated and distrusted advertising since the age of five. I despise its promises, its lure and the ways in which it makes us complicit as consumers. I can date my loathing almost precisely. Picture then, a day in April. It is one of those days where the sky above the chalklands of my home is a silvered blue, and a lively breeze sends tattered sails of clouds rushing across from southwest to northeast; And in my house, the gas fire in the living room is on full, because it is cold, despite the promise of warmer days to come written in the burgeoning hawthorn and the first flowers of spring. Lying on the beige and white fabric sofa (This was the 1970's) is me, under a blanket, recovering from another bout of the bronchitis that plagued me when young. In the corner next to the large front window, the TV, a new Sony Trinitron colour television with a large black and silver dial with which one tuned into the channel you wanted to watch, is tuned to ITV, and it's adverts time. There is one for a powdered orange drink, featuring a couple playing tennis; another for some washing-up detergent, where a girl complains of greasy dishes; Then the next one. It is this that engages my attention. A boy, of around my own age, is sat at a dinner table, similar to ours. He looks like the sort of boy who does not like his greens. His mother is preparing his meal in the kitchen. She turns to a cupboard, and pulls out a tin.
A tin of peas.
'He'll never eat them', I think, as she opens it with a gleaming wall mounted tin opener, and tips the contents into a pan to heat up. By the magic of the ad, the peas are instantly ready, placed on the boy's plate, complete with a livid yellow knob of butter, and brought through. The boy looks at the peas dubiously at first, then tries one, then a forkful, and suddenly, the whole plate of peas is gone. Next, the boy is in the kitchen, tugging mum's apron.
'Mum!' he says, 'Have we got any more?'
And cut to the name of the tinned pea product.
I was staggered. I hated peas; This boy, my own age, and in a room similar to mine, hated them; His mother had bought these special tinned peas, had put said peas on his plate, topped by mustard-coloured butter; He'd eaten them and now wanted more!
Those must be damn fine peas, I think, or words to that effect.
Half an hour later, I ask my mum.
'Can we have those peas, mummy? I think they're tasty.'
And so, after the next weekly shop, there is the tin of peas. My mother makes dinner - fish fingers and mash, and opens the tin, warms the peas, puts them on my plate, and brings it through to the dining table. And I tuck in, making sure I get a forkful of these juicy, juicy peas. I take a mouthful, and begin to chew.
They taste like fucking shit. I spit them out, which of course makes mum angry, and she stands over me to make sure I eat up every last one of the fucking peas I'd specifically badgered her for.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9663
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidplankton wrote:
Frideswide wrote:

Is that what the Marquis de Sade drinks in hot weather? Very Happy

It's what results when Sade makes a duff record. Very Happy
XBergMannOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was when I realised that being lazy and thinking outside the box very much go hand in hand.

Aged approx 13 we were given 50 questions in French for our French homework and had to answer them in French with a correct sentence. Each mistake would cause us to be marked down.

I remember thinking *** this for a game of soldiers and hurriedly wrote Je ne sais pas as my answer to each question. Consequently I was the only person to be awarded 50 out of 50 not only that my homework took 10 minutes instead of an hour or two as I had done what asked of me without error.

Years later I heard Bill gates say if you want something done quickly give it to a lazy person as they will always find the quickest way to achieve the desired end result.

I am now 49 still very lazy but I have an enduring belief in my ability to think of pathways to solutions that others do not even consider.

Thanks French lessons!
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to this! and it does change how you think once you've had that lightbulb moment.

Second year, secondary school, history exam part 3: Can you describe the effect of the Black Death on the population of England?

Answer: Yes.

Got full marks on that part, kudos to you Miss Johnson Smile
Augusta333Offline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Autumn, a woman was insufferably rude to me, without cause.

For 62 years I have been unable to stand up for myself, when someone is being insulting/patronising/demeaning. But something snapped, and on this occasion, I found I was saying out loud, what I was thinking........

I heard myself telling her she was VERY rude, and I waited for the inevitable backlash. She hung her head, said 'oh, sorry', and walked away.

It was as easy as that?........... who knew?
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augusta333 well done!

index2.htm
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5724
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

XBergMann wrote:
Consequently I was the only person to be awarded 50 out of 50 not only that my homework took 10 minutes instead of an hour or two as I had done what asked of me without error . . . Thanks French lessons!

"Je ne sais pas!"

Did you rely on the urbandictionary.com for all your qualifications?

To make even that short answer a plagiarism was quite an achievement.

Congratulations! You must have been polishing your helmet ever since! Very Happy
RyoHazukiOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 78
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if everyone else has been politely ignoring it, but:

OneWingedBird wrote:
....This led me to dispose of an elderly neighbour who I had been caring for....Also disposed of my repressed memory therapist...

For starters, you really shouldn't be admitting it on a public forum Shocked Razz
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9663
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyoHazuki wrote:
I'm not sure if everyone else has been politely ignoring it, but:

OneWingedBird wrote:
....This led me to dispose of an elderly neighbour who I had been caring for....Also disposed of my repressed memory therapist...

For starters, you really shouldn't be admitting it on a public forum Shocked Razz

Yes, I wondered about the wording, too...
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1206
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be hard to be appropriately assertive, personally I find confrontation difficult. I have in the past been bullied at work by bosses and vowed when I took up my new job it would never happen again.

Not being allowed to go early one Hallowe'en after being assured that I could I left my boss a note (only because he wasn't there for me to speak to him). I told him that I had bent over backwards to be accomodating since I had started and that he has shown a lack of respect. In future I stated that I would only work my contracted hours as a result.

He called me for a word in private and told me my letter was childish. I told him that it was exactly what was written. "If you want to be awkward I can make things awkward for you" he said. I told him that he had signed up for Diversity and invited him to repeat the threat to his boss.

I finished by telling him that once i left this room I would treat him no differently that anyone else and as far as I was concerned it was done. Half an hour later he came over and apologised to me. He then added "you're not going to tell my boss are you?"

It may sound small to some people but it was a big moment for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: