Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Youth Hostel intruder early 90s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ0304061013Offline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 17:33    Post subject: Youth Hostel intruder early 90s Reply with quote

Came here to relate an incident which occurred circa '93 when myself and three friends were around 16 or 17 years old. I've long since lost touch with those involved, so have never really had a chance to discuss it in subsequent years.

We had a weekend away taking advantage of one member's newly acquired driving licence, visiting a festival in Brighton, UK and hanging out doing other stuff around Sussex.

After the festival we stayed in a Youth Hostel quite near the city. All four of us shared a single room that night with two bunks in parallel, about five feet apart, roughly in the centre of the room. I was up top on one bunk with a guy called James below me. Opposite was Andrew on the lower bed and Richard above. 

We were talking idly about the lastest Sonic Youth album or something mundane and Andy turned off his bedside light whilst we were all still chatting. It was sort of dark-ish but due to hall lights and possibly moonshine there was enough light to see and make out objects. Quite shortly after the light went out, James below me was talking but very suddenly went quiet. I was almost instantly aware why; the silhouette of a person was in the room, standing near the head of Andrew's bed. There was a few moments of silence before they hurried past us between the two bunks. I distinctly remember Andrew shouting out at this point. The intruder was about head height with my top bunk but it was too dim to ID them as anything other than a person of average height and build, probably male. No remarkable features to speak of. Next thing I know the light comes back on, there's no one there and we all look around exchanging various expletives.

We searched the room but there was no sign of an entry/ exit point for the intruder. No windows were open and the only exit was the thick set fire safety door in the corner near to the heads of the bunks which would have made a lot of noise and involved the perpetrator somehow getting back past us undetected. We just couldn't understand how someone got in and out undetected and we became really freaked out, to the point of arguing with one another. It felt like we were losing our minds. Looking back, I think we just individually felt paranoid that the other three were excluding them from a carefully planned prank, but the more we cast accusations about the more we realised it didn't make any sense and the atmosphere turned oddly hostile in the group. We left the light on all night and never really spoke about it the next day, which in hindsight seems a little odd in itself.

One other probably unrelated detail is that the next day there was a very depressed, paranoid feeling between us traveling home. This was accompanied by my feeling a strange form of guilt or shame which I've never experienced since - it wasn't the exact emotion of shame but that's the closest comparison. It was this sort of retched, empty regret about the whole trip, almost remorse, despite having nothing to feel responsible for. I'd also compare it to a sad, loss-of-innocence sort of feeling, accompanied by a sort of physical thirst and a sense of something unforgivable (?!?) Sounds odd when I try to describe it but it was overwhelming. I'll always remember that awful feeling hanging over me as we were waiting for a train and killing time in a shopping mall the next day.

I don't think I believe in ghosts per se but an explanation for this freaky event has eluded me for over twenty years now. 

Thanks for reading and allowing me to indulge a very old and strange memory!
theyithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 298
Location: Going uphill, in the pouring rain, at the junction of two maps.
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the troubling tale. Immediate thoughts:

The obvious solution to the sealed room conundrum is that the intruder was already concealed inside. To make a unsettling story worse, the most obvious location might have been under one of the bunk beds. Did you check there after the lights went on?

Second, and this is only pop psychology, your feelings of guilt sound to an utter layman as if memories have been suppressed. Assuming you were not yourself responsible for something traumatic (you seem like such a decent poster), my natural supposition would be that you felt guilty as you were powerless to prevent something unpleasant (I'll let imaginations run wild here) happening to one of your friends.

All speculation of the loosest kind, of course.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9528
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 17:51    Post subject: Re: Youth Hostel intruder early 90s Reply with quote

FJ0304061013 wrote:
We left the light on all night and never really spoke about it the next day, which in hindsight seems a little odd in itself.

This kind of thing - an unwillingness to discuss after the event - is quite a common aspect of a Fortean experience. Other people have noted this before on other threads.
Members of my own family have also displayed this unwillingness, when I've asked them to repeat something they'd told me before about some Fortean event. In their case, it might be the fact that they are religious and have their own fixed ideas about how the universe works - anything that doesn't fit that frame gets rejected.
In the case of other people, a certain amount of mental shock may be in play, causing them to reject what they have experienced.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you can remember more detail about the hostel?

I'm local, I might be able to find out more about the history of the place.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 3988
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Any chance you can remember more detail about the hostel?

I'm local, I might be able to find out more about the history of the place.

There's two in Brighton, one down by the Old Steine and one up on Truleigh Hill.
FJ0304061013Offline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't remember specifically checking under the bunks, but if there was sufficient space for someone to hide I imagine we must have done as we were very thorough if I recall correctly. Certainly an unsettling possibility though!

The hostel was close to Brighton but outside the city inland a bit I think. This was a fair time ago so not sure it would even still be a Youth Hostel. All I remember was a big building with a large fireplace in a community lounge/ reception area. Sorry to be vague.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1236
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 08:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you considered alien abduction? i realize that the humanoid form you saw didn't much resemble a grey, but neither do a great deal of the abduction reports. the phenomena is only cut and dry in pop culture, the rest of the time experiencers often relate seeing shadows, balls of plasma, dimensional shifts, and more. you might consider hypnotic regression to help dust off the lost memories, and maybe even connect the dots and get some answers about what you were feeling the next day.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2559
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that sprung to mind for me after hearing 'south coast', 'early 90s', 'festival' and 'intruder' was Peter Tobin. Specifically the Dinah McNicol case.

As you explained there was no way of the individual exiting your room then I guess that would rule out an actual physical being in the room. However, as someone suggested, a person already hidden in the room somewhere lying in wait only to discover four teenage males in the room rather than a vulnerable young woman would logically have decided to cut losses and try to sneak out of the room...?

Tobin was certainly active in the area around that period and had attacked two teenaged girls in Havant in August of 1993
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lived in Brighton & Hove for a period as well......his gardens of his ex-addresses have been searched.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: