Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Illuminati
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 25-09-2001 23:20    Post subject: Illuminati Reply with quote

hey, can anyone fill me in on the history of the illuminati? and what exactly their objectives are?
i have read about them here and there but i am not quite sure what they are out to do. but i do know that they have benn around for a long long time, right?
zero
hachihyakuOffline
That'd be the butt, Bob.
Total posts: 183
PostPosted: 26-09-2001 00:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were a secret society founded by Adam Weishaupt some two hundred years ago (roughly...) They disbanded shortly after their founding. They may have stuck around for a few years in secret, but not many.

How this little Shriners-type group got in the business of supposedly taking over the world I have no idea.
TheOriginalCujoOffline
Mean Mother
Total posts: 852
PostPosted: 26-09-2001 02:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

hachihyaku wrote:

They were a secret society founded by Adam Weishaupt some two hundred years ago (roughly...) They disbanded shortly after their founding. They may have stuck around for a few years in secret, but not many.

How this little Shriners-type group got in the business of supposedly taking over the world I have no idea.

Really good PR.

Cujo
(you can do anything with good PR)
NilesCalderOffline
Reptilian Overlord
Total posts: 1833
PostPosted: 26-09-2001 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Illuminati were officially disbanded. That doesn't that they were actually disbanded...
Quote:
"There is no Barvarian Illuminati"
The Barvarian Illuminati

Before you bury your head too deeply in your search for the Ancient Illuminated Seers of Barvaria I suggest you first read Robert Anton Wilson's (and the late Robert Shea's) Illuminatus Trillogy. I also recommend you to read Principa Discordia which is available online and in a book form (the latter from Steve Jackson Games). I warn you both are somewhat Cavaet Lector and reading Illuminatus has been likened to swallowing an LSD coated handgrenade (it either expands your mind or blows it). Of course I'm not expousing messing around with hallucinogens or explosives - I've never done either myself...

Anyway TTFN
Niles

Last edited by NilesCalder on 26-09-2001 19:43; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 26-09-2001 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hachihyaku wrote:

Maybe by pretending not to exist while keeping the rumours going, then engineering certain world events to point conclusively to their existence and influence, thus attracting speculation crediting them with having had a hand in many more events which were in fact none of their doing but thereby appearing to be omnipresent and omnipotent so people just accept that the Illuminati run the show and there's nothing to be done about the situation.
Not long now. The conspiracy theories have gone mainstream - soon everyone will know who's really in charge and just come to accept that that's the way it is and long has been.
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 925
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
reading Illuminatus has been likened to swallowing an LSD coated handgrenade (it either expands your mind or blows it).

The people I know who have read it mostly likened it to doing something incredibly boring that might be interesting if you had taken enough drugs.

I think the whole Illuminati thing is nonsense. Its got to be a cover for a proper conspiracy that is genuinely secret.
RitasignOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 05:00    Post subject: Illuminati Reply with quote

Do you think the Illuminati really exists as an organized group or could it be a general reference to anyone enlightened in the mysteries of alchemy? Since alchemy metaphor can either be interpreted with negative, base meaning or positive spiritual meaning, if they exist in an organized way, do you think they are following the low road or the high road whereby they have 'slain the dragon'? Could there be two Illuminati -- the truly enlightened and the imposters?
techybloke666Offline
Mad for Golf
Total posts: 2629
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 07:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it really exists and it is not at all good for us too.

try this site for some info has other good bits too !

ignore the alien stuff mind.

http://www.illuminati-news.com/shadow-gov.htm
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 5358
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 08:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fnord
techybloke666Offline
Mad for Golf
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 08:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fnord
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A fnord is disinformation or irrelevant information intending to misdirect, with the implication of a conspiracy.

The word was coined as a nonsense word in the Principia Discordia by Kerry Thornley and Greg Hill, but was popularized by The Illuminatus! Trilogy of books by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. In these novels, it is claimed that the interjection "fnord" possesses hypnotic power over readers. A conspiracy of the world's controlling powers conditions everyone from a young age to be unable to consciously see the word "fnord"; instead, every appearance of the word will unconsciously generate a general feeling of uneasiness and confusion.

In the Shea/Wilson construct, fnords are scattered liberally in the text of newspapers and magazines, causing fear and anxiety in those following current events. However, there are no fnords in the advertisements, encouraging a consumerist society. It is implied in the books that fnord is not the actual word used for this task, but merely a substitute, since most readers would be unable to see the actual word. In the movie They Live, the main character discovers a similar conspiracy, when commercials are revealed to have hidden conformity messages visible only with specially prepared glasses.

To see the fnords means to be unaffected by the supposed hypnotic power of the word or, more loosely, of other fighting words. The phrase "I have seen the fnords" was famously graffitoed on a railway bridge (known locally as Anarchy Bridge) between Earlsdon and Coventry city centre throughout the 1980s and 1990s, until the bridge was upgraded. The bridge and the phrase were mentioned in the novel A Touch of Love by Jonathan Coe (ISBN 0140294910).

"Fnord" has become a popular word with followers of Discordianism. It is often used in Usenet and other computer circles to indicate a random or surreal sentence; anything out of context (intentionally or not) may be labelled "fnord".

In the metalhead subculture, "fnord" is used as a nonsense word, mainly to annoy other metalheads.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5605
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 08:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. Utter nonsense but enormous fun.

An Illuminati plot to destroy the Vatican using an antimatter bomb.

As synopses go, it doesn't get much better...
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 09:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

techybloke666 wrote:
In the metalhead subculture, "fnord" is used as a nonsense word, mainly to annoy other metalheads.

Fnord is one of those annoying words, just like Ni! used by the knights who say Ni! in Monthy Pyton and the Holy Grail.
Laughing
wembley8Offline
Home of Legends
Total posts: 1996
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the point, the problem is that anyone can call themselves Illuminati, and if you surf the net a bit you will find plenty of groups who do. Some may be genuinely illuminated, but then again they may not.

Whether anyone who was would actually be interested in controlling the world would be another matter.

The Dan Brown actually crossed the line from being funny to being painfully bad to me, but still funny in parts. Why can't he just do some research?? (Maybe because he doesn't need to)
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8072
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

techybloke666 wrote:

try this site for some info has other good bits too !

ignore the alien stuff mind.

http://www.illuminati-news.com/shadow-gov.htm

Why ignore those bits? They're no less fantastical than anything else on that site.
techybloke666Offline
Mad for Golf
PostPosted: 15-08-2005 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why ignore those bits? They're no less fantastical than anything else on that site.

love the word Fantastical super really super.

Aliens are best discussed on the Aliens thread when all said and done.

Now demons thats a different matter !!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: