Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
weird psychological thing re: big/small
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 15:30    Post subject: weird psychological thing re: big/small Reply with quote

Can anyone help?
Me and my band member Steve have the same strange psychological phenomena but haven't met anyone else who has it.

it's a bit like that thing you get when you are tired or poorly where things go far away and big, only this is different.

It's hard to describe, but is basically an unbearable (stomach going) feeling triggered by thinking about (or dreaming of) a contrast between large and small. A prime example is thinking of an enormous block of heavy dense grey clay, suspended from a long hair. aaarrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Can anyone offer any explanations? Are we mental? Is it like synaesthesia or not??? (see the Man who can Taste Shapes!!!)

Any info much appreciated,

You can mail me on my work address: charlotte.hubbard@nelincs.gov.uk

Smile
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting - I used to get something like this a lot as a child, as well as the big/small illusion. Still happens when I'm very tired sometimes (and falling asleep)
Whenever I've tried to explain it I've found it nearly impossible.
For me it's more like.... imagine holding a small object between your first finger and thumb and 'rolling' it slightly so you can feel the texture. The weird thing is that this little stone or whatever is simultaneously tiny, huge (planet-sized), light, heavy, sharp and angled, soft and fuzzy. It's almost like been in two places at once and experiencing two different things at the same time somehow.
There's also a kind of 'pins and needles' sensation for some reason.
Anyway, it's a very very wierd feeling and somehow very unsettling. As you say it's the contrast of scale that does it - 'universe in a grain of sand stuff'!
I'm not sure how well I've described this, but I think it's the best I can do.

PS I haven't been smoking Salvia or anything!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:05    Post subject: reply to AndyX Reply with quote

YES!!!! That is it - it's all in the feeling of feeling it in your finger tips!!! yessssss!!!
It's weird. I've had 2 responses though, so i feel much better! Would love to know what goes on in a brain that makes that kind of thing happen.....

Lotsford
_schnorOffline
Stand back boy!
Total posts: 1000
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey, I get the very same thing if I cant sleep

Lemme explain, if I cant get to sleep I meditate, whereby I relax, slow my heard down and this phenomena is EXACTLY how Andy described, I can almost achieve an OOBE and feel the texture of far away objects - like andy says, it's a mushy electrical feeling in my finger tips and the object is also tiny as I can visualise it being small but expend myself and feel it massive at the same time.

It's not unpleasant, but it's not ver nice either, the hazey head feeling is exactly (for me) being on a trip, a high but also a feeling that it isn't real but it is.

The feeling is more intense in the part of my body I imagine I'm using (normally my finger tips) but if I concentrate I can feel it in my entire body and is *ahem* somewhat similar to an orgasm Surprised, the feeling usually lasts between 10 and 15 minutes.

Thank god it's not just me chuffed
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
Total posts: 1604
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes me too.
Weird - I had forgotten about this - I haven't thought about it in a long time so it mustn't happen to me much any more ....
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:11    Post subject: yesss! Reply with quote

THAT IS IT. I have never done acid, for these reasons! I don't need it!!

Thank god!!!!!!!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any neurologists / psychologists out there?
hexkittenOffline
The Almighty One
Total posts: 56
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyX wrote:

For me it's more like.... imagine holding a small object between your first finger and thumb and 'rolling' it slightly so you can feel the texture.

I've had that too, it really freaked me out - had to wake myself up properly to see that things weren't really that way!

Kitten
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnor wrote:

...a mushy electrical feeling ....I concentrate I can feel it in my entire body and is *ahem* somewhat similar to an orgasm Surprised, the feeling usually lasts between 10 and 15 minutes.

That's weird, I nearly used the word 'electrical' myself, but I forgot in the process of composing the rest of my reply - if you see what I mean, and yes, there is a whole-body sensation as well (sometimes).
Fats_TuesdayOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 518
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I´m thinking of the same thing but when I was younger and even now if I try, I always got really strange sensations whenever I looked at aerial photographs where there were no features which gave away the scale.

I would suddenly feel that I was looking at something really up close, even though I knew I was really looking at a photo of a massive river delta or similar.

One particular photo which gave this impression was one of a large lake (Eyre or Victoria) with several islands which gave the startling impression of being a puddle with some clumps of moss sticking out of it.

I always assumed it was because the part of the brain which calculates scale is doing the equivalent of getting dizzy as it loses its usual frames of reference.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:22    Post subject: yesssssssss Reply with quote

For me it's like the feeling of the stomach going thing that you get on a rollercoaster or when you are drunk....
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 16:23    Post subject: Re: what Jobbo said Reply with quote

I reckon that is the same feeling, especially at the point where you realise it's not what you think it is and feel funny, maybe??
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bizzare... I think I vaguely remember that feeling from childhood... had it once in a while... haven't had it in years... but I do think string/large lumps, big/small was part of it... and actually, something about rubbing my thumbs together. I didn't actually rub my thumbs though... wow this is strange. Its really really vague, but I defenitely remember it.

And jobbo- I used to do that too, when I was young. I don't know what I'd do, I'd think about the universe (or something... I think I imagined planets and crap), and I'd get... not an out of body experience, but kind of an out of mind experience... I don't remember what happened, but I'd suddenly return to normal conciousness and have to ground myself in reality by repeating my name and random concrete facts about my life. I'd be disoriented and feel really... apart. Weird as hell and I haven't been able to do it since I was like 10 or something.

Straaaaange.
Diabolik8
Disenchanted Bast
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 20:02    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

I can relate to what Schnor said. Very strange. Not felt it for many years tho'.. Maybe it's related to OOBE's..

Ooh it's nice to relate. I feel better already!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2002 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate suffers for wakeing halucinations sometimes and says he has since childhood... his halucinations are terrifying and are about imposibly huge or large numbers of things ocupying a small or too small space. Two he told me about was a million stacking chairs sitting in the corner or the room and a planet sized ball of wall paper on the landing!.......... He has very mathematicl brain and deals in numbers all the time .. very analytical etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: