Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
weird psychological thing re: big/small
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlikepencilsOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 29-06-2013 03:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never experienced the big/small thing. Now I feel in the minority after reading this thread!

Closest I have come to it is having a split second zooming image come towards my face when I'm on the cusp of sleep. Usually something unpleasant like a spider or a grotesque face.

Other times I've had the feeling of not knowing one leg from the other while sitting and of seeing purple and green flashing blotches whilst trying to fall asleep but I know the latter is a blood pressure thing.

I'd quite like to experience the big/small!
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

big/small is freaky/deaky ... i had a friend at university whose variation of it was that he dreamt he was playing a pinball machine while being simulataneously inside the game being shot around the board ... but the feeling he described was remarkably and definitely the same
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous post from earlier in the thread ... just reading about the juggling thing has convinced me this will probably give you the desired effect ...

Quote:
By chance the other day I found out my housemate gets this feeling too. And at the same time we seem to have discovered a way to induce it. We were messing about juggling and started using various objects of different sizes and weights. My housemate tried two juggling balls and a Smint, and after a few seconds stopped abruptly and said 'I can't do this any more; it's giving me the big-small feeling." He was quite freaked out and worried he wouldn't be able to sleep that night.

I was very surprised to find out that he'd had this before, and asked him about it - like me he associates it with terrible childhood nightmares and fever dreams that are thankfully getting rarer nowadays. I tried the trick and found out that after a few seconds it does indeed create a mild form of the sensation we've been talking about, in me at least. So if any of you can juggle, try doing so with two heavy-ish juggling balls and a small, light breathmint or something, and see if it works for you.
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had something similar. I wouldn't say it just happened as a child as I can remember it happening in my twenties.

The best way I can explain it, is just a weird feeling, if I had pictured say, a small stick man lifting a very large boulder.

I used to be able to bring this feeling on, but it just seems like a long time ago now, although I still think about that feeling.

It's nice to see that others have this, it's a bit mad.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still get flashes ... 9-year-old fortean apprentice has been there too ... the pinball comment i made above was echoed by a friends partner recently ... the commonality is surprising given the almost intangible nature of the feeling
SimonOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 47
PostPosted: 24-10-2013 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had something like this around when I was about 11 (1981-ish). I might have had a bit of a fever, and I could see/dream a large boulder rolling slowly, and a footballer running fast in front of it, but the boulder was always keeping up with him.
I've also got a feeling that this was arond the time that Laurie Anderson had her hit song "O Superman" and remember waking up in the early hours and constantly hearing the "ha, ha, ha" part of the song on a loop in my head!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 25-10-2013 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I've also got a feeling that this was arond the time that Laurie Anderson had her hit song "O Superman" and remember waking up in the early hours and constantly hearing the "ha, ha, ha" part of the song on a loop in my head!

That is a really strange song to hear in the early hours of the morning, it's true. Why Can't We Live Together by Timmy Thomas has the same unnerving effect on me at that time of night.
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 09:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the same phenomenon, but:
When I was between 6 and 8 y.o. I often had the feeling when looking at my hands that they looked smaller than normal.
It was almost like watching them from the opposite side of a telescope or binoculars. It was not a permanent thing, it happened once in a while.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

think elsewhere on the thread there is the pink floyd line from comfortably numb off the wall as referring to this feeling "when i was a child i had a fever my hands felt like two balloons"
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilikepencils wrote:
I've never experienced the big/small thing. Now I feel in the minority after reading this thread!...

Me too.

It's odd, because when people describe a feeling, emotion or reaction that I don't actually experience myself, that lack of experience is almost always accompanied by at least a sense of recognition. And I suspect that's normal for most of us.

With this though, there's nothing like that - and that, as I say, seems quite odd, but also quite interesting.
birdyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 131
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've already described here my big/small sensations; like a portion of something unfathomably enormous and spherical (a bit like a planet I suppose) being viewed through a tiny toy stage set, usually experienced when I've been ill with a fever. I've tried to discuss it with my boyfriend, in the hope that he understands it but he's never had a similar sensation. Disappointing really!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of getting the sensation during a fever, when I was little I got the big-small sensation when I was ill, except I saw a vision of a Royal Family (not the British one, it was the impression I got) and they were furious or panicking or both when just as this feeling reached a crescendo they calmed down immediately as if it didn't matter in the slightest after all. Whatever "it" was.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Spookdaddy, I have been intrigued and mystified by the thread since it started.

It does call to mind a tv show I saw a decade or more ago. The properties of various noxious plants were being discussed in connection with their use by witches to alter consciousness. It may have been Henbane which was said to disturb a part of the brain which dealt with scale. Visions of fairy-like creatures and tiny animals were reported by those who had experimented with these plants in modern times. Question
BeltaniaOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 59
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing to know that other people have had the big/small feeling!

I would get it quite a lot as a child. The best way I could have explained it would be to imagine picking up something you could see was tiny, like a dried pea, but having the unexpected sensation of picking up a large medicine ball. The original poster's description of a lump of clay suspended by a hair struck a chord with me.

Nowadays, the feeling manifests itself in the sensation that my hands are the 'wrong' size. As if they contain the sensation of a pair of hands that are ten times bigger than my eyes would have me believe.

I've always explained it to myself by reasoning that the area of the brain responsible for predicting the weight and scale of objects must have to handle very complex sets of data at all times, and any kind of confusion would be keenly felt.

I can often 'cure' the feeling by picking up a familiar object and handling it for a while. Either this 'recalibrates' my perception of objects, or is simply distracting enough to take my mind off it.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 228
PostPosted: 06-11-2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd posted here but couldn't find it.

When I was around 2-3 I remember looking down at the carpet in the living room and seeing a toy American Western Steam train followed by Native Americans on horse back. The next thing I'm down on the carpet about to be run down by the train and the following Indians all very much now life size and very real!

I just can't recall if I was dreaming but I feel I wasn't. I didn't have a steam train or Indians toys though.

I'm amazed the amount of fourteens who have had this experience as until AIWA syndrome came along I had never heard or read anyone one else experiencing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: