Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
weird psychological thing re: big/small
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 63
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this too, and I think perhaps I posted to this thread about it years ago, but I've seen become "Anonymous" and can't find it.

Haven't had it for years though, probably since about age 9-10. It was worst when I had a fever and the feeling would be accompanied by ordinary sounds becoming very loud. I once had a terrifying ordeal in the bathroom while sick because the toilet seemed too large and far away and then when I flushed it it sounded as if the whole house was being consumed in a tidal wave. Horrible, I'll always remember that.

Usually I would have these crazy nightmares where nothing happened except alternating between big/heavy and small/light. I would be made of something fragile and light like styrofoam and then being crushed under a huge truck, then I would be outside the truck and feeling light again. Over and over. I'd wake up in a sweat. Never thought other people had nightmares like that until I read about it here.

I also found the feeling could be brought on by holding a ball in the palm of my hand and curling my hand around it. Not like the juggling some people have mentioned. Just holding the ball.

But like I said, it's been a great many years since I had this feeling and I can almost not remember what it feels like. Nothing seems to bring it on now.

Wait, that's not entirely true, I've just remembered a time when I was 18 and experimented with opium. I was going down some stairs, and looked down, and my feet were very far away and quite small, but I was huge and tall and balanced on the tiny feet. It wasn't at all unpleasant and strange like the nightmares, just funny, and reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. So I'm not sure if it's entirely the same phenomenon.
AmoradalaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had many strange experiences as a child when I was ill. In fact my interest in all things Fortean probably came from these inexplicable ' paranormal ' events.
The big/small thing. Demonic visits/ threats. Time lapses etc etc

I have only just discovered that Benylin ( common medicine given to children ) causes hallucinogenic effects. Apparently according to this link . . .

http://www.drugrehabwiki.com/wiki/Benylin

Benylin has similar effects to LSD Shocked

That may explain alot !
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21790
PostPosted: 16-01-2014 01:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amoradala wrote:
I had many strange experiences as a child when I was ill. In fact my interest in all things Fortean probably came from these inexplicable ' paranormal ' events.

I have only just discovered that Benylin ( common medicine given to children ) causes hallucinogenic effects. Apparently according to this link . . .

That may explain alot !

It would explain a lot.
Tunn11Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: 16-01-2014 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ball of clay/fine thread is the closest for me. Following scarlet fever I used to get the image in my head of a huge rock (think minor asteroid) perching on a fine needle. It would make me feel nauseous and uncomfortable, probably akin to the feeling some people get with fingernails on a blackboard. This lasted until maybe my twenties and I can't re create that feeling anymore. Weird.

Reminds me a bit of the Peanuts cartoon where Linus suddenly announces that: It's happened again, I’m aware of my tongue ... It’s an awful feeling! Every now and then I become aware that I have a tongue inside my mouth, and then it starts to feel lumped up ... I can’t help it ... I can’t put it out of my mind. ... I keep thinking about where my tongue would be if I weren’t thinking about it, and then I can feel it sort of pressing against my teeth ... The last bit sounding as if his tongue is too big for his mouth, I wonder whether Schulz based that on personal experience?
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 08:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amoradala wrote:

That may explain alot !

It's just dextromethorphan, common ingredient in many OTC cough medicines. Honestly you have to take a rather enormous amount to "trip" from it - when I was in high school the recommended dosage to bring on a decent trip was the entire bottle of cough syrup, which would also often cause nausea and vomiting. Yes, I will admit that I tried it, but even after a whole bottle I didn't trip, just got very tired and dopey. Adults who enjoy dexing (DXM tripping) usually skip the cough syrup and go straight for the pure version of the drug, available as a powder, for this reason. To bring on effects of the LSD-level you need to take a very, very high dose, which cannot be safely done with cough syrup.

Surely in children the dosage would need to be much lower, but you'd still have to be taking quite a bit more than the prescribed dose to bring on a trippy feeling. I do think it's likely that some people's parents would be overly generous with the syrup! However, I also think most parents tend to carefully measure children's medicine with the provided cup/spoon. It just doesn't seem likely to me that most parents would be accidentally giving their children half a bottle of cough syrup.

However, fever is known to bring on sensations like this, without any drugs or medicine, and that seems to me to be a very likely explanation when children have these experiences while ill.

A lot of common OTC medications are psychoactive and can cause dramatic effects when taken in large doses, though. Also, people with sensitivities and drug allergies can have severe effects even when the drugs are taken in small doses. I had a friend whose schizophrenic symptoms were exacerbated by certain drugs, which she had to avoid at all costs.
blackeyedbess1Offline
Carbon and Light
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former boss once told me that when he was a child he would have weird episodes where time seemed to slow down - people would speak and move in slow motion etc. after a few minutes things would go back to normal. As he grew up he worked out that he could induce the state by moving one of his hands over the back of the other in a particular way. As he was telling me this, he started turning pale and said that just talking about it was starting to "tip" him into the state! I told him not to carry on in case he made time slow down for all of us... Smile
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13726
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother sometimes reminds me that as a small child, possibly aged about 4, I once drank a whole bottle of cough mixture and slept for a full day.
She asked a neighbour who'd been a district nurse for advice, and was told to let me sleep it off.

I wonder why Mother didn't get an ambulance right away? That's what I'd have done if one of mine'd done that. Perhaps she was afraid of getting into trouble for letting me find the stuff.

Anyway... that's what drinking a full bottle of Veno's will do. Wink
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 02:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
My mother sometimes reminds me that as a small child, possibly aged about 4, I once drank a whole bottle of cough mixture and slept for a full day.
She asked a neighbour who'd been a district nurse for advice, and was told to let me sleep it off.

I wonder why Mother didn't get an ambulance right away? That's what I'd have done if one of mine'd done that. Perhaps she was afraid of getting into trouble for letting me find the stuff.

Anyway... that's what drinking a full bottle of Veno's will do. Wink

Hehe, when I was a teenager I had mono and was given codeine liquid to help with the pain (I couldn't swallow my own saliva because of the swelling in my throat). I was miserably ill but often in inexplicably high spirits - at one point I even remember sitting on the sofa and breaking into a fit of giggles. Turns out my mother didn't bother to read the label on the codeine bottle and was just filling the little plastic cup to the brim and giving it to me - which was 4x the prescribed dose. Can't say that I had hallucinations but it did take the edge off the sickness!

If you're anywhere close to my age or older, Escargot, I'm not surprised at your mother's response. I'm rather shocked at the things my own parents let me do as a child. They were very relaxed about things that these days we are more worried or even paranoid about. To hear my mother tell it, my grandmother's generation was even more laissez-faire about children. It's amazing any of us survived!
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 514
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 03:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my oldest was just a toddler I had been awake most of the night with her coughing so had gone to the chemist to get some cough medicine.
I gave her a dose after we came home. I was so tired that when I sat down for a moment I promptly fell asleep.
I was awaked by a glugging sound and found she had pushed over a chair and climbed onto the bench to get the mixture . Utterly horrified I put her in the pusher and raced back to the chemist.
They measured how much she had drunk and said that she would just sleep it off . She didn't but when we went to get groceries later we didn't get them as she had a stomach upset and we had to come home to clean her up.
StillillOffline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 03-03-2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years ago I was talking to my mum about odd things that have happened to us. I began telling her about my big/small experiences. I got as far as telling her about a tiny metallic sphere I used to see or sense or imagine ,I don't know what and she finished my sentence off by telling me that it was massive and was everything that existed. Which is what I was going to tell her! I was amazed that she had had the same experience over the years.
I used to experience it in my early to mid twenties. Sometimes it would happen when I was in that half asleep/half awake state . Sometimes the feeling would just come to me anytime. I would see a tiny metallic ball that I knew was absolutely everything that existed apart from me looking at it . It's quite difficult to describe . I haven't experienced it for 20years or so.Funny thing is that I actually miss it because it gave me a nice cosy feeling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: