Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Animal Journeys
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 01-12-2002 09:04    Post subject: Animal Journeys Reply with quote

This thread is just an excuse to post this link on Geese Migration - lots of loverly pics from the air as well as from the ground.

Not particularly Fortean or crypto though - no doubt quite a few people would like to leave Canada during the winter!

But some animal journeys are pretty strange: pets who cross a continent to find their owners again, turtles and albatrosses who cross wide oceans but still return to their birthplace to lay eggs or breed.

And then there is the strange case of European eels, which apparently migrate to the Sargasso Sea to breed. Has this ever been proved/disproved, or explained?

Anyhow, here's a thread for Animal Travels.
JudgeNutmegOffline
fart oo nice
Total posts: 109
PostPosted: 02-12-2002 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago i was walking through our hallway at home when i heard a quiet knock on the door.I opened the front door but no one was there.As i went to close the door i looked down and a racing pigeon hopped off the outside step and walked through the door into the hallway and proceeded to walk towards the kitchen.I left the front door open and tired to shoo it back out but it wouldn't go.
As it was a ringed racing pigeon i just presumed it may have been tired out and wanted to rest.i opened the door that leads to the garage and the pigeon hopped in.I left it some water and crumbs and left it there for the night.
In the morning,i managed to get the pigeon outside,it hung around the garden for another day and the day after that it had gone.The other slightly strange part was that my grandad,who kept a lot of pigeons,had passed away fairly recently.It just seemed a strange occurence.
rynner
PostPosted: 02-12-2002 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooo! Good story, JN. Perhaps I should shift this thread to Ghosts or Reincarnation...

(That's the trouble with Fortean stuff - it refuses to be categorised.)
naitakaOffline
Realistic action figure
Total posts: 432
PostPosted: 03-12-2002 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monarch butterflies make an amazing migration, up to 3000 miles from Canada and the northern US to Mexico. They have never seen their destination, since they are three generations removed from the ones that started north in the spring. Yet they not only know which direction to go, but they follow specific routes to get by obstacles like the Great Lakes.

We live on a monarch flyway, and it is fascinating to see them fluttering southward, seemingly too small and fragile to fly any farther than the next garden, but capable of covering 50 miles a day.

http://www.MonarchWatch.org/tagmig/index.htm
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13648
PostPosted: 03-12-2002 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal journeys, pah.

I only realised about 2 years ago that one of my favourite childhood books, 'The Incredible Journey', was about things animals did when no humans were there, and so was ALL MADE UP.
rynner
PostPosted: 28-03-2003 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dog Comes Home After Seven-Month Absence
Dog Comes Home to Widow After After Disappearing for Seven Months

LE MARS, Iowa March 25 —
A retired school teacher couldn't believe her eyes last week when her dog, Taffy, returned home after disappearing seven months ago.

"When I went out to do the chores, he was standing on the deck waiting for me just like he always did," said Betty Jordt, who lives just north of Sioux City. "I thought, 'It can't be Taffy, it can't be.' But as I got closer, he looked up at me as if, 'I waited for you.'"

The dog, a taffy-colored Labrador mix, returned March 19 just in time for Jordt's birthday.

Jordt, a widow, found Taffy at the Siouxland Humane Society about five years ago. The dog always came when called, until he vanished seven months ago, she said.

In an attempt to find her pet, Jordt placed advertisements in local publications and enlisted the help of the sheriff's office.

Jordt didn't get a new +dog+, because she didn't want to risk losing another companion.

Taffy showed up last week wearing the same collar, but no tags.

"I must say he's in excellent condition," Jordt said. "Whoever took him or took care of him did take very good care of him."
From ABCnews

Aaaah!
Imperial_CallOffline
Total posts: 1195
PostPosted: 28-03-2003 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot wrote:

Animal journeys, pah.

I only realised about 2 years ago that one of my favourite childhood books, 'The Incredible Journey', was about things animals did when no humans were there, and so was ALL MADE UP.

Wuh? Nooooooooo! It was real! it was! Waaa haa haa haa haa
Anonymous
PostPosted: 31-03-2003 08:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Nutmeg wrote:

racing pigeon [B]

My brother sold a friend of his the same group of homing pigeons three times...

I was recently told (third hand) about a homing slug which someone removed from their kitchen several times. Apparently, the last time it was placed on the centre of a roundabout about a mile from the house, and took two weeks to come back. I suspect it was more than one slug, personally...
rynner
PostPosted: 24-04-2003 06:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a brief reference about the American parapsychologist Rhine having conducted research into animal journies. To find more info, I Googled on "Rhine, research, ...etc"

...and found a very interesting site site about dredging the waterways of Rotterdam!

(More on the animals later.)
rynner
PostPosted: 24-04-2003 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Animals will follow their human companions to the grave and perhaps even beyond. There is another kind of following called psi-trailing, and from the cases that have been thoroughly researched, there can be absolutely no doubt that this phenomenon exists. One of the most celebrated cases was Lassie, a mongrel dog who was left behind at a small farm in Kentucky when his owners moved out west to California. The dog left the people who had adopted him, and months later, he located his family in Pacoima, California. A cat named Clementine did a no less incredible 1,500-mile journey from Dunkirk, New York, to Denver, Colorado, to find her owners. Another cat named Tom holds the distance record of 2,500 miles or more, traveling from the home place in St. Petersburg, Florida, to San Gabriel, California, to find his owners in their new home.

Several years ago, when a psychiatrist friend of mine was a teenager, he was given a dog by neighbors who moved from Brooklyn to live in Queens, New York. Alan had the dog only a couple of days when it ran off. The owners called a few days later saying that they had found their dog walking up and down their new street in Queens and were so amazed, since the dog had never been there before, that they felt they had to keep him after all.

A similar case of psi-trailing was reported on national news in the spring of 1983. A little mongrel dog, left with neighbors in Colorado, made an incredible journey over the Rockies in the dead of winter and found its owners at their new home in California, where the dog had never been.

A young cow called Blackie was recently sold, along with her calf, at an auction in England (Agscene, February 1984). The two animals went off to separate farms. That night Blackie escaped and was found the next morning suckling her calf on the farm where her calf had been taken. Her owner was traced via the auction tag that was still on her back. Out of compassion and amazement, her owner allowed her to stay with her calf. The farms were seven miles apart, and Blackie had never been there before. The bellowing of a calf could surely not travel that distance, nor its scent, unless cows have remarkable senses. Whether Blackie was psychic or telepathic, or had supersensory abilities, is an open question; but no less remarkable is the strength of her maternal instinct and desire to be with her calf.

One of the best publicized cases of ESP in a dog occurred during World War I. An English dog named Prince somehow crossed the English Channel and roamed France until he found his beloved master in the battlefront trenches.
The late Dr. J. B. Rhine from Duke University investigated a number of alleged cases of psychic abilities in pets. The following cases leave no doubt that animals certainly do possess such abilities. One of the most amazing cases of psi-trailing involved a female dog who was adopted by a family at their summer vacation home. By the end of the summer she had presented them with a litter of pups. They were unable to take the dog and litter back to their New York City apartment, so they found a good home for them near their summer home. About a month later the dog turned up at their apartment in the city, an incredible feat since the dog had never been there before. It was some thirty miles from the vacation cottage. The dog was carrying one of her pups. She deposited it at the feet of her amazed owners and then asked to go out. Several days later she returned with another pup and was off again until she eventually had brought her entire family to the apartment. Naturally the people decided to keep her. This story is hard to accept but is one that Dr. Rhine thoroughly investigated and authenticated.

Another of his cases involved a little terrier named Penny. One and a half years after the death of her mother, a daughter in the family came home to make a visit to the graveyard to pay her respects at her mother's grave. She took Penny with her--the dog had never been there before. While the daughter was freshening up some flowers at the cemetery before going to her mother's grave, Penny got out of the car. To the woman's surprise, when she went to her mother's grave, there was the dog lying on it, whining pathetically. No other family member had been there for months, so it is unlikely that there would have been any familiar scents for the dog to detect.
For nearly thirty hours in the spring of 1983, villagers on the island of Minorca searched for a lost three-year-old child, to no avail, Mayor Jose` Tadeo, leader of the search party, returned to his home two miles away, and his two-year-old Irish Setter greeted him but kept whining and scratching at the door to be let out. The man complied and the dog got him to follow right to the area where people had been searching for the boy. The dog found the semiconscious boy in a small crevice concealed by undergrowth. How could the dog have known, since it had been at home, two miles away, all day?
The most thoroughly researched and publicized case of homing in a pet was of a Collie named Bobbie. He was lost in Indiana, and his owners had to return to their home in Silverton, Oregon, without him. Somehow he was able to find his way to his owners' new home, some three thousand miles away, in midwinter. This dog's feat was sufficiently well publicized such that people who had given him food and shelter on his long journey home made themselves known. This way, the route taken by the dog was approximately reconstructed.
Animal Spirits... (There are also plenty of stories of psychic animals on this page.)
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 1513
PostPosted: 26-04-2003 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those giant spiders you have to liberate from the bath are supposed to home too,put them carefully outside and they will only try to get back in.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 27-04-2003 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? it wont be long until the spider revolution happens.. take my word for it
TheOrigDesperadoOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 594
PostPosted: 27-04-2003 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The European eel is rumoured not to breed at all, and is only the result of the American eel migrating to European waters. Once it gets there, it can climb thousands of feet up rivers and even over land to get to pools high up in the Alps, where it remains for 10 or 20 years. Then it returns to the sea and attempt to get back to the breeding grounds in the Sargasso sea, but never makes it.
TheOrigDesperadoOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 594
PostPosted: 27-04-2003 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to add, I've no experience of animal journeys, but we did have a cat that wandered off. We'd long given up hope of seeing it again when we got a phone call 3 years later from someone in London (150 miles away at that time) saying they'd found the cat with collar intact. We picked up the cat and it lived happily ever after... ahhhh.... :p
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 4896
PostPosted: 27-04-2003 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion wrote:

Those giant spiders you have to liberate from the bath are supposed to home too,put them carefully outside and they will only try to get back in.

Thus you can see the act of squashing them, and jumping up and down on the remains before flushing them down the loo as an act of liberation - freeing them from their destiny to be compelled to return time and time again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: