Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Alien Big Cats ( ABCs )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?
Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside
43%
 43%  [ 30 ]
A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
A big hoax
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Summat else
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
All of the above
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 69

Anonymous
PostPosted: 10-08-2001 20:21    Post subject: ABC's & FMD Reply with quote

Just a thought - if there really are big cats out there in the UK preying on sheep, they'd presumably be forced to move territory if they were in an area where the sheep had been culled out.

Anyone know of an area thats been culled where there's supposed to be an ABC?

Long shot, but any evidence suggesting that the culls are causing migrations?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 10-08-2001 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset has not had many cases of fmd. Yesterday's Western Gazette for the Yeovil area carried a full page report on sightings and livestock depredations in the Yetminster area. There's pics of dead sheep and calves, and a statement from a farmer saying he saw a puma/ black panther. This could be evidence an abc has moved into this area from an area affected by fmd. I'll check for any past reports...

The report says there have been sheep killings since last July.
It's latest victim was a five month old calf. It ate the whole thing apart from the head and feet. I'm a bit scared now...

Last edited by Guest on 10-08-2001 22:55; edited 1 time in total
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2322
PostPosted: 10-08-2001 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very interesting thought.

Maybe they'll become urbanised like foxes and start preying on innocent burghers staggering home from the pub late at night . . . Surprised

Carole
Anonymous
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carole - your idea is not too far-fetched. In parts of Africa leopards are a real problem in urban fringe areas. They seem to be reacting to habitat destruction by moving to the edges of towns and preying on humans. (Poetic Justice?)

Of all the suspects for ABC's, leopards would be the most worrying as they have little fear of humans, regarding them as tasty snacks. They are very powerful animals, and an unarmed human would have no chance against one.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe the FMD epidemic was a cover... the culling of sheep was an extreme way by the government to kill off the ABCs...
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 16:02    Post subject: Historical ABCs? Reply with quote

Anyone know any examples of historical ABCs?

The only one I know of is the legend of Percival Cresacre, who fought with a giant wildcat (or 'wood cat') in Barnburgh near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, in 1475. Cresacre was ambushed by the cat in an area now known as Cat Hill, and struggled and fought with the cat until they reached the porch of St Peter's church in Barnburgh, and both died of their injuries. A red stain on the church doorway is said to be the blood of the evil cat.

Of course, the Black Dog (and similiar entities like Padfoot, Skryker and Barguest) may also be historical examples of what we now know as ABCs.

Any more examples?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That French werewolf thing, the beast of wotsit could have been something dull like a tiger. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean... got an article about it somewhere I keep meaning to read.

I'll read it and then comment!
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5731
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer Westwood - her slightly evil face suggests she might be
a relation of the mad designer woman - gives a few historic
legends of cats in a book called Albion, a Guide to Legendary
Britain.

Sir Henry Wyatt, father of the poet Thomas Wyatt, was kept in
a tower and fed by a cat, who fed him a dead pigeon every day.
[ambiguous that but I'll leave it, as I don't think cats are known
for altruism]

A bas relief in Gloucester is supposed to show Dick Whittington
with a cat but it looks more like a monkey to me. Some say it is
a lamb. Westwood relates the legend to continental tales of Puss
in Boots, who brings good fortune.

A farmer in Staindrop, Durham was crossing a bridge when a
talking cat told him "Mally Dixon's dead". Relating this to his
wife at home, their own cat overheard, got up, cried "Is she?"
and vanished. Variants of the tale also come from other towns
in County Durham. In some cases the cat declares "Well now I
am King of the Cats!". Well it might have happened!

None of which involves big cats unless we count soap stars with
huge thighs who frighten the kiddies every Christmas in Panto.

No, for a rash of Big Cat sightings you have to go to Charlie Fort.
The man himself has a rash of sightings which to his mind were
associated with the Welsh religious revivals around the First World
War. It's all in Lo! which is a set book, you know. And available
free online which is nice. Very Happy
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Lo! 's actually on a big pile of "to read" books in my room. Cheers!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 18:30    Post subject: Watch out for low-flying broomsticks.... Reply with quote

The classic association of black cats with witchery-pokery. Anyone know the roots of this?
lucydruOffline
Been, left, might be back again.
Total posts: 453
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 18:36    Post subject: Black cats and witchcraft Reply with quote

At one time witches would have familiars (animals to help with their magic). Usually cats were used as a witches familiar (black cats may of been comman at that time, but I'm not sure). Myth I suppose has made it so all witches had a black cat, this isn't true.

lucydru
Anonymous
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 19:16    Post subject: Re: Black cats and witchcraft Reply with quote

lucydru wrote:

At one time witches would have familiars (animals to help with their magic). Usually cats were used as a witches familiar (black cats may of been comman at that time, but I'm not sure). Myth I suppose has made it so all witches had a black cat, this isn't true.

lucydru

So a "witch" could use a range of animals? Are any other animals, such as owls, associated? I also heard an interesting theory about the origins of the broomstick thing. It's a tad crude so I won't go into details... I'm interested in the plants associated with witchcraft, and the idea that they were just the european equivalent of the tribal shaman or healer.
lucydruOffline
Been, left, might be back again.
Total posts: 453
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes witches can, and have been known to use other animals other than cats. It's just that cats seem to be used more than any other animal. As for witches being the european various of a sheman, I'm not sure about as I only have knowledge on witches (wicca).

And yes the broomstick thing that you heard is true (if I understand your comment about it being crude).

lucydru

Last edited by lucydru on 11-08-2001 19:27; edited 1 time in total
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 11-08-2001 21:13    Post subject: Interesting (?) ABC stuff Reply with quote

Followed James Whitehead's suggestion in my previous thread about ABCs, and checked out the relevent chapter in Lo!. Intrigued, I decided to check the ABC round up for the last five years in my FT back issues, to see if there was much ABC activity in the area of Hexham in Northumberland, where Fort's "wolf" (ABC?) was encountered.

And lo and behold! In the county of Northumberland, over the last five years, there were eight cases I could positivily place within 30km of Hexham (including 2 in and around the town), and a further five on the same map page (yes, I didn't do this very scientifically!) around the east coast. There were a few more I couldn't place because the places in question are obviously too small for the scale of the map I've got.

Also discovered a couple of other things... for example about 5km south of Hexham is a place called Catton, and just to the west of this a place called Bear's Bridge... suggestions of beasts in the area? Also the name "Hexham" suggests some kind of devilish influence.

Also, there was an ABC case in the town of Bamburgh in Northumberland in June 1996. This is a curious lexilink with the the legend of the wood cat of Barnburgh in South Yorkshire! (see my previous ABC thread).

I'll research this further, on a larger map, and do a similar test with the Barnburgh area of Yorkshire.

In the meantime, has anyone got any thoughts?

Last edited by evilsprout on 11-08-2001 23:38; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 2 of 60

Jump to: