Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Alien Big Cats ( ABCs )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?
Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside
43%
 43%  [ 30 ]
A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
A big hoax
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Summat else
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
All of the above
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 69

evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 01:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I've been looking for "evidence" to "prove" my last post...

I could point out that one of the biggest hit areas of England is the North East... and that's the biggest centre of Big Cat sightings of late...

...I could also point out that 10 areas to face farm closures and culls in Northumberland, at least 4 have been the location of ABC encounters in the last five years (Alnwick, Hexham, Haltwhistle, Bamburgh)...

...hmmmm, guess you can almost prove anything if you've got enough random statistics, though!

If ABCs are migrating, BTW, they should be coming to my neck of the woods soon... there's been absolutely no FMD in South Yorkshire.

Last edited by evilsprout on 12-08-2001 01:11; edited 1 time in total
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5754
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 01:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off thread, more FMD than ABC but the big holocaust
of animals all year may be a splendid offering to the Gods
of fertility.

Somewhere out there on the web is a guy in the American
South, I think, who believes that his own garden grows the
better in periods of maximum road-kill on the road beside it.

Of course it could be the traffic is killing the predators. Or that
a fat season means slower critters. I prefer the fertility God
view because it's more heritage. Cool
Anonymous
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 03:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Montague Summers in his History of Witchcraft & Demonology (1926 I think but mine is a reprint without the original date) animal familiars were very much an English thing. Familiars could be human or demons in human form and existed to aid the witch in her evil doings. He claims that the animal familiar was something quite distinct and was used as an aid to divination. He mentions the black cat as the stereotypical modern idea of the familiar but lists dogs, cats, ferrets, weasels, toads, rats, mice, birds, hedgehogs, hares and even various insects. The few examples I've found of colour tends away from the everyday, white animals and black toads for example.

Also a search of the online version of The Malleus Maleficarum http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/ only finds two references to cats which both relate to an attack of a woodcutter by a number of cats (to get back on topic for a second Very Happy ). A search for 'familiar' yields a few toads and the odd ferret.
TheOriginalCujoOffline
Mean Mother
Total posts: 852
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 03:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe the ABCs are spreading the FMD and that's why they've had so much difficulty containing it. Well it could happen.

I'll get me coat.

Cujo
TheOriginalCujoOffline
Mean Mother
Total posts: 852
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 03:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

<snip>It's all in Lo! which is a set book, you know. And available
free online which is nice. Very Happy

Oooh, where?

Cujo
Anonymous
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 15:07    Post subject: Big black cat seen on M6 Reply with quote

Big black cat seen on M6

Another sighting of a big black panther-like creature has been reported in South Lakeland by a couple returning home from a shopping trip to Penrith.

Graham and Heather Neesham of Holme were travelling south along the M6 mororway on Saturday afternoon when they spotted a large cat in the field near to junction 39 at Shap.

“ I screamed to my husband :’look. There’s a black panther,’ when I saw it,” said Mrs Neesham.” There’s no doubt it was a big black cat. It was about 400 yards away just strolling through the grass.
“It had a big head and a very long tail. It was just walking and then it set off into a bit of a trot,” said Mrs Neesham. “ It was not in any hurry. It was parallel to us. Other people must have seen it.”

The couple reported their sighting, which happened around 4pm, to Kendal police.

Mrs Neesham, 34, had read stories in the Westmorland Gazette about black cat sightings and was a believer but her husband was sceptical. “ It just confirmed it for him,” said Mrs Neesham, who said that she was very excited by what she saw.

Bristol based naturalist Terry Hooped, who is co-ordinator of the Exotic Animal Register, said that the number of sightings of black cats had dropped off in recent months because people were unable to get out and about into the countryside because of the foot and mouth restrictions.

But he added that the M6 motorway corridor was becoming a “hot spot” for sightings particularly in Cumbria and North Lancashire. The Gazette reported last year that a Kendal fireman making his way from his home at Morecambe saw a panther like creature in fields off the M6 and this followed sightings of a big black cat by two men travelling on a bus on the motorway.

“There is usually plenty of food for them ( black cats ) at the side of the motorways, particularly rabbits,” said Mr Hooper. “ We do need to hear from a lot more people about what they are seeing up there.”

Over the past few years the Gazette has reported several sightings of large, black cats stalking the countryside. There have been reports from Shap, Sedbergh, Winster, Troutbeck, Farelton, Levens, Grizedale and Burton in Lonsdale.

From the Westmorland Gazetter August 10th 2001

Moggadon
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

Slightly off thread, more FMD than ABC but the big holocaust
of animals all year may be a splendid offering to the Gods
of fertility.

It'd be interesting to see harvest statistics for this year... if your theory's right then, with the amount of animals slaughtered, the country should be bloody fertile!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place called Black Dog near Crediton in Devon. There is a local tale, not sure how old, possibly couple of hundred years, of a teenage girl, lost on her way home, being guided back safely by - you guessed it - a large black dog that mysteriously vanishes...
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5754
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. free Fort texts online.

A Canadian? enthusiast calling himself Mr. X has been
doing an annotated edition of Fort for some time and
has put the results online.

http://www.resologist.net/index.htm

The four main books are as follows, in order of interest:
The Book of the Damned, Lo!, Wild Talents and New Lands.

Well that's the order I'd put them in. The Book of the Damned
is a truly amazing performance, from start to finish. The others
have their ups and downs.

There are also some fiction and autobiographical fragments.

Cool
Anonymous
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucydru wrote:

Yes witches can, and have been known to use other animals other than cats. It's just that cats seem to be used more than any other animal. As for witches being the european various of a sheman, I'm not sure about as I only have knowledge on witches (wicca).

And yes the broomstick thing that you heard is true (if I understand your comment about it being crude).

lucydru

I shouldn't really continue this topic of witches here, but what the hell...
How are animals used in divination in european examples, as there are many examples of this in "primitive" cultures around the world, eg some African tribes use the intestines of goats to make predictions and diagnose illness?
It is quite logical that witches applied psychoactive preparations to their genital areas, given the association with plants such as Henbane and Mandrake. I doubt that they necessarily used a broomstick to do this though. These plants are highly toxic in larger doses, but in the smaller controlled dose that is applied transdermally, hallucinations and the sensation of flight are among the effects. In genital areas blood cells are closer to the skin surface, providing a rapid transmission that bypasses most major organs, stomach included.
Any one see the recent Channel 4 " Journeys to the ends of the Earth" about the shaman plants?
lucydruOffline
Been, left, might be back again.
Total posts: 453
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a while and I can answer your question about witches.

lucydru
DerekH16Offline
Puzzled by life
Total posts: 871
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 21:23    Post subject: Re: Big black cat seen on M6 Reply with quote

Moggadon wrote:

...... “There is usually plenty of food for them ( black cats ) at the side of the motorways, particularly rabbits,” said Mr Hooper. “ We do need to hear from a lot more people about what they are seeing up there.”......

Wouldn't have thought ABC spotting was a good way to have a safe journey along the M6...Sad
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "The Bewitching of Anne Gunter", James Sharpe relates the description of three familiars one being “like a black rat with a swine’s face and boar’s tusk”, another “a mouse with a man’s face and a long beard” and the last “a whitish toad”. I think
familiars could take any animal form (not necessarily as outlandish as the ones above) and often appeared as human. Possibly the most famous fictional witches in western culture are the three witches in Macbeth who name two familiars - Paddock and Greymalkin. Paddock is an old scottish word for a toad or frog and a malkin could mean either a cat or a hare. Although cats were certainly taken to be familiars I suspect the preoccupation with them is, like so many things, a Victorian one.

Going back to the original ABC question it doesn’t strike me as unreasonable that there was the odd big cat roaming the countryside in the distant past. Big cats are portrayed in medieval paintings and were in the private collections of kings and princes -apparently the first lions to be housed in the menagerie at the Tower of London were put there as early as the thirteenth century. Its not unreasonable to assume that as security measures then were probably far less effective than they are
now that maybe the odd one escaped. Of course if a cat did escape it was far more likely to remain undetected in a relatively sparsely populated countryside with a far greater potential larder. Does anyone know if the Romans brought big cats to Britain for gladiatorial stuff?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-08-2001 05:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal Cain wrote:

How are animals used in divination in european examples

Nothing exciting, observations of gait and behaviour. I'd want something a but more impressive for having to feed them from an extra nipple.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-08-2001 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I doubt if FMD has had any significant effect on big cats. The rabbit population in this counrty is enormous and more than sufficient for any big cat.

If anything FMD and the restrictions on people going into the countryside has probably given them some peace and quiet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 3 of 60

Jump to: