Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Alien Big Cats ( ABCs )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?
Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside
44%
 44%  [ 30 ]
A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
A big hoax
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Summat else
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
All of the above
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 68

PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 79
PostPosted: 26-02-2013 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
oldrover wrote:
Quote:
Or, of course, sheep could just be thick!

An intriguing thought there.

It's just woolly-headed thinking.

Yeah, I thought of it on the hoof. It's shear stupidity!
titch4Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dons bad pun proof hat...but are sheep really that easily spooked? when i was about 8 or 9 the family had rented a farm house on mull and one day i was walking along the cliffs looking for the path to the beach, and i got stalked by a sheep, it walked alongside me and i was terrified the sheep would charge me and knock me over the cliff. Maybe the sheep on the west coast of scotland are of different character, maybe fighting the midgies for survival every day makes them much tougher and harder then normal sheep.

Eve seen the cat stalking the sheep in an area they knew well for a long period of time, and would have the sheep to judge size against, as i said before i am sceptical on the whole, but some eye witness accounts make me wonder.
PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 79
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

titch4 wrote:
/dons bad pun proof hat...but are sheep really that easily spooked? when i was about 8 or 9 the family had rented a farm house on mull and one day i was walking along the cliffs looking for the path to the beach, and i got stalked by a sheep, it walked alongside me and i was terrified the sheep would charge me and knock me over the cliff. Maybe the sheep on the west coast of scotland are of different character, maybe fighting the midgies for survival every day makes them much tougher and harder then normal sheep.

Well, they always run away from me when I'm creeping up on them. Perhaps it's just the pretty sheep that are easily spooked. Wink

The behaviour of the sheep on Mull is easily accounted for. The midgies drain the blood from the sheep so much they crave blood. So the one you encountered wasn't attempting to push you over the cliff at all. She was merely a vampire sheep after your blood.

titch4 wrote:
Eve seen the cat stalking the sheep in an area they knew well for a long period of time, and would have the sheep to judge size against, as i said before i am sceptical on the whole, but some eye witness accounts make me

It's hard to find a clear chink in so well observed and described a sighting, and it's just such sightings that keep many seemingly unlikely phenomena alive for me, rather than poor photography and tabloid hysteria, which put me right off.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19692
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sighting of 'panther' in Norwich sparks police tweet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21628555

Staff at Norwich Camping and Caravan Club believed they had seen a big cat, "possibly a panther"

An alleged sighting of a large cat, "possibly a panther", in Norwich has sparked an unusual appeal by police.

Staff at Norwich Camping and Caravan Club spotted what looked like a large black cat near Martineau Lane on the outer ring road on Wednesday.

They called police after a worker also found a dead muntjac deer nearby.

The Twitter account @NorwichPoliceUK stated "we had a report of a large cat, possibly a panther prowling around... anyone see anything similar?!"

A police spokeswoman said police community support officers had taken to Twitter after a failed attempt to find the animal.

The mystery creature has not shown up again.

Norfolk Police are not strangers to reports of big cat sightings, with about 80 calls in the past seven years - mostly in rural areas.

But each time the fearsome predator has either vanished when police arrive, or turned out to be something much smaller - and cuddlier.

A "tiger" lying between two cars in Norwich in 2011 and a "very large striped cat" resembling a tiger in Bradwell in 2010 were, in fact, stuffed toys.

In August last year, holidaymakers believed they had seen a lion on the sun-drenched plains of St Osyth near Clacton-on-Sea in Essex.

Experts from Colchester Zoo and police firearms officers helped in the search.

It was simply a large domestic cat, Teddy Bear, basking in the sunshine.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14391
PostPosted: 02-03-2013 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if there was nothing there, did they find out what killed the deer?
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2290
PostPosted: 03-03-2013 00:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complacency.
Fats_TuesdayOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 518
PostPosted: 25-04-2013 09:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10017038/How-a-big-cat-roamed-Britain-a-century-ago.html

Quote:
How a big cat roamed Britain a century ago

A predatory lynx more than twice the size of a domestic moggie prowled the
British countryside a century ago, researchers have discovered.

The stuffed remains of a Canadian lynx have been found in the cellar of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and records show it was shot dead in the Devon countryside in the early 1900s after it killed two dogs.

A new study has proved the carnivorous Canadian lynx roamed here at the turn of the 19th century after the beast's remains were unearthed in the vaults of a museum.

A team of scientists from four leading British universities said the find is the
earliest example of an "alien big cat" in the country. They analysed the creature's skeleton and mounted skin to uncover "concrete evidence" that exotic big cats lived here earlier than previously thought.

They argued their study disproves a popular claim that wild cats only appeared following the introduction of the 1976 Wild Animals Act, which was introduced to deal with an increasing fashion for exotic and potentially dangerous pets. But the academics believe such feral "British big cats" may have lived in the wild much earlier, through escapes and even deliberate release.

There is no evidence that such animals have bred in the wild. The new theory follows the rediscovery of the mystery animal in an underground storeroom at Bristol Museum and Art Gallery.

Records have disclosed the lynx was shot by a landowner in the Devon countryside in the early 1900s, after it killed two dogs.

In the laboratory, tests on the specimen's bones and teeth showed it had been kept in captivity long enough to develop severe tooth loss and plaque.

It then escaped or was deliberately released into the wild, the team say. Ancient DNA analysis of hair from the lynx proved inconclusive, possibly due to chemicals applied to the pelt during taxidermy.

Co-author Dr Darren Naish, from the University of Southampton, said: "There have been enough sightings of exotic big cats which substantially pre-date 1976 to cast doubt on the idea that one piece of legislation made in 1976 explains all releases of these animals in the UK.

"It seems more likely that escapes and releases have occurred throughout
history, and that this continual presence of aliens explains the 'British big
cat' phenomenon."

Experts from Southampton, Durham, Bristol, and Aberystwyth universities also contributed to the study, published in the journal Historical Biology.

In 1903, Edwardian curators originally mislabelled it as a Eurasian lynx - a
close relative of the Canadian lynx.

Lead researcher Dr Ross Barnett, of Durham University's Department of
Archaeology, said: "This Edwardian feral lynx provides concrete evidence that although rare, exotic felids have occasionally been part of British fauna for more than a century.

"The animal remains are significant in representing the first historic big cat
from Britain."

The researchers say Eurasian lynxes existed in the wild in Britain many hundreds of years ago but were almost certainly extinct by the 7th century.

Dr Greger Larson, a member of the research team from Durham University and an expert in the migration of animals, said: "Every few years there is another claim that big cats are living wild in Britain, but none of these claims have been substantiated.

"It seems that big cats are to England what the Loch Ness Monster is to
Scotland."

The lynx is now on public display at Bristol Museum.
Fats_TuesdayOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 518
PostPosted: 26-04-2013 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22284463
Quote:
Big cat hunter: 'Every week I get reports'

Scientists have revealed that a Canadian lynx was on the loose in England at the turn of the last century.

For decades people have claimed to have spotted big cats roaming the British countryside - including reports of a lion on the loose in Essex in 2012.

But most of these claims are dismissed by experts as mistakes, hoaxes or even hallucinations.

Jonathan McGowan, a naturalist from Bournemouth, is one of those who believes that there are big cats living alongside our native species - and has been collecting evidence for 12 years in an attempt to prove it.

His fascination was sparked by a sighting of what he claims was a puma, in 1984. Since then he has amassed a variety of fur samples, footprints and bones that he believes could have come from big cats - but conclusive photographic evidence remains hard to come by.
EponastillOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 230
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 06:55    Post subject: George Monbiot article on ABCs Reply with quote

In the Guardian this morning:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/21/big-cat-sightings-mass-hysteria

I like the part where he's describing investigators revisiting sighting spots with measuring poles and rather proving the sightings were of moggies.

But I do want to believe anyway somehow. Such is human nature eh.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 07:13    Post subject: Re: George Monbiot article on ABCs Reply with quote

Eponastill wrote:
In the Guardian this morning:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/21/big-cat-sightings-mass-hysteria

I like the part where he's describing investigators revisiting sighting spots with measuring poles and rather proving the sightings were of moggies.

But I do want to believe anyway somehow. Such is human nature eh.

Georgie boy has a new book to punt. According to the Guardian bookshop:
Quote:
Feral: Searching for enchantment on the frontiers of rewilding

By George Monbiot.

Trade review
The renowned political commentator and radical thinker Monbiot here envisages a wholly new way of understanding our world, through positive environmentalism. He recounts his own experiences with wild places, wildlife and wild people, and argues that humans should draw closer to the natural world, in which ecological processes resume.

Synopsis
Tells the story of author's efforts to re-engage with nature and discover a new way of living. This title shows how, by restoring and rewilding our damaged ecosystems on land and at sea, we can bring wonder back into our lives.

But, why shouldn't 'Moonbat' take on ABCs? After all, he's an instant expert on everything. The book's due out on the 30th of May.

Laughing
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4234
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 08:40    Post subject: Re: George Monbiot article on ABCs Reply with quote

Eponastill wrote:
...I like the part where he's describing investigators revisiting sighting spots with measuring poles and rather proving the sightings were of moggies...

There used to be a video on YouTube of a 'panther' wandering across a track - it walked straight past one of those surveying poles which are marked out in standard increments.

Massive fail.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 951
PostPosted: 23-06-2013 13:54    Post subject: Leopard shot Reply with quote

http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/leopard-shot-killed-in-clark-county.html

Leopard shot
maximus_otterOffline
Recovering policeman
Total posts: 239
PostPosted: 25-07-2013 15:37    Post subject: Aristocrat warns visitors as 'big cat' snapped on his land Reply with quote

An aristocrat has put up warning signs for visitors to his estate after a member of his staff photographed a “big cat” prowling through the grounds.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02627/big-cat-homepage_2627212b.jpg

Baronet Sir Benjamin Slade believes that the creature has already killed foxes, an otter and some of his chickens, and he fears that it could go on to attack his prized pedigree sheep, a dog or even a guest.

The “beast” was photographed by the night porter at the 98-acre Maunsel House estate, near Bridgwater in Somerset, in the early hours of the morning about a fortnight ago.

The pictures are blurred but appear to show a large black animal with powerful haunches walking through a meadow of tall grass and wildflowers.

Sir Benjamin, 67, suggested that the creature might live on the nearby Somerset Levels and travel to his grounds overnight looking for food.

In recent months he and his staff have found piles of feathers from dead chickens and the mangled remains of a fox.

He is convinced that the picture shows a big cat, but admitted that it is not entirely clear.

He said: “They don’t exactly stand still and pose, which is the problem. It’s got a long tail and seemed to be quite big.

“Apparently these things will do 30 to 40 miles in a night. We are next to the Somerset Levels, which are 250 miles of fields and bogs where nobody lives.

“There is a possibility that this thing is bigger than a puma – it is probably quite frightening.

“We have put signs up telling people to keep their dogs in the car because there is a big cat about.

“We need this thing out of the way before it eats somebody. I’ve got a wedding business here and we are very worried about our guests – they might wander off piste and get gobbled up.”

Sir Benjamin said hunters up and down the country had contacted him asking if they could come to his estate to look for the cat.

“I might be able to sell the shooting rights if it goes on like this,” he jokes.

The next time a dead chicken or fox is found, he plans to take samples of hair and droppings from the scene and send them off for DNA analysis.

Danny Bamping, founder of the British Big Cats Society, said it was impossible to tell what the photograph shows.

“Like most pictures of big cats in Britain, it is inconclusive because there is no sense of scale and it is blurry,” he said.

“However, that is not to say that the person who took the picture did not think it was a big cat at the time.”

He noted that there have been a “substantial” number of reported sightings of big cats in Somerset in the past year.

The existence of big cats in the British countryside has been debated for decades. Most of the alleged sightings have come since the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 made it illegal to keep untamed pets.

Some experts have suggested that this led to owners of exotic cats, such as pumas or lynx, simply releasing their animals into the countryside.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10202296/Aristocrat-warns-visitors-after-big-cat-photographed-on-his-estate.html

maximus otter
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 499
PostPosted: 04-08-2013 16:42    Post subject: ABC report on mumsnet Reply with quote

A nerve-wracking experience whilst walking her dog in the Highlands of Scotland late at night:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1818982-To-never-walk-my-dog-again
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 499
PostPosted: 03-09-2013 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

'Big cat' sightings reported in Co Down

Police are investigating a number of alleged 'big cat' sightings in the Hillsborough and Dromora areas of Co Down following several animal attacks on sheep.

Farmers in the Hill Road, Ballynahinch Road and Mullaghdrin Road areas are understood to have found sheep killed in what have appeared to be violent animal attacks in recent weeks, police have confirmed.

"Some local residents have also claimed to have seen a 'big cat' in the same general area over a similar period of time," a PSNI spokesperson added.

Police are keen to stress that there has been no confirmation of the presence of any 'big cat' in the area.

Investigating officers are appealing for farmers who have lost sheep or other livestock in a similar way recently - or anyone who sees an animal which they believe to be dangerous - to get in contact with them immediately.

"Under no circumstances should any wild or undomesticated animal be approached," the spokesperson added.

Local police can be contacted on 0845 600 8000.

http://www.u.tv/News/Big-cat-sightings-reported-in-Co-Down/57413487-070f-4694-a61c-a431510cbefa

Tbh, comparing the cat in the vid to the gate behind it I thought it was a domestic moggy with a collar on. It's clearly a long way away from the photographer given the pixillation indicating it's at the end of the camera's zoom capabilities. Something is attacking sheep but it's more likely to be dogs?

Police investigate 'big cat' sightings and sheep attacks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23934310

Is big cat on the prowl in Co Down?
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/is-big-cat-on-the-prowl-in-co-down-29546103.html

Big cat fears after sheep attacked
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/big-cat-fears-after-sheep-attacked-29545210.html

Last edited by staticgirl on 03-09-2013 09:59; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 59 of 60

Jump to: