Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
CLASSIC ARCHIVE MERGED: SLEEP PARALYSIS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 14-01-2003 10:20    Post subject: CLASSIC ARCHIVE MERGED: SLEEP PARALYSIS? Reply with quote

Maryanna Axson

In Savannah, Georgia (USA) sometime around February of 2001, a friend of mine and I had been out dancing and I was spending the night at her house (as was our usual custom on Thursday nights). I had spent the night countless other times (both before and since) and have never had anything similar to this occur.

I had just experienced the strangest dream (for brevity's sake I'll omit the details) but one of the weirdest things about this dream was a constant, very loud humming that I simply couldn't get out of my head. Even after waking, this horrible loud hum persisted. I lay in the bed for a few seconds after waking, creeped out and thinking about my dream, and I looked over at the clock. It was shortly after 4am.

The humming continued in my ears at a deafening level. I closed my eyes for several seconds when I heard a clear voice, like a little boy's, coming from the area by the window, about two feet away from the foot of the bed, and to the right. (I was sleeping on the right side of the bed, my friend on the left.) I opened my eyes, fully expecting to see a 6-yr-old boy sitting by the window, but there was nothing.

I closed my eyes again, fairly weirded out, and tried to just remain still and quiet. I was pretty scared, and just hoped that the humming would stop. I then slowly started to become aware of a strange pressure on my chest, a weight that seemed to push me into the bed, as if a large (and extremely heavy!) housecat was curling up on me...but there was nothing on me. I was completely immobilized, however, and I'm not sure if that was because of fear or some other type of force being exerted. Suddenly, the same child's voice spoke directly into my right ear, and said "Get me out of here!" with a distinct fear and urgency. I could even feel the breath on my ear! In addition to being so genuinely frightened, I felt sorry for the little boy, because he sounded as scared as I was. After a few more terrifying seconds, the pressure was lifted and it seemed to me that the voice was gone.

All of this happened in the course of maybe two minutes, and I was absolutely terrified at this point, so I turned to wake my friend, who had been sleeping next to me this whole time. As I turned to my left, she was already sitting bolt upright and facing forward, apparently oblivious to the voice I'd so distinctly heard only seconds before. She had her eyes closed, and was running her hands through her hair slowly and repeatedly, as someone would do when washing her hair. She appeared to be moving in slow, sensuous motion, and seeing that only freaked me out more.

At this point, I woke up. It was 4:30am. Completely confused and thinking I was losing my mind, I woke my friend up, relayed the story, and asked her if she'd heard anything... of course she hadn't. She did mention to me, however, that she had often seen strange lights and movements coming from the area around the window. I was never able to fall back asleep for the rest of the night.

I was so creeped out by all of this that for weeks I told anyone who would listen. I have no explanation as to why I'd dreamt that I woke up earlier (that's such a horror-movie cliche that I'm almost embarrassed), or if I even had. But I truly believe that my initial weird dream was completely unrelated to the bedroom experience. The voice I heard, the pressure on my chest, that awful hum in my ears...I am still convinced that that was all real.

Obviously, I have no explanation for any of it, but I suppose it's better that I never know for sure what exactly happened.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 16-01-2003 03:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The weight on your chest sounds somewhat like a Hag or Succubus (Incubus), your friends sensuality lends toward Succubus, and the kid could be a trapped spirit...But, and I hate to go here, it sounds more psychological than paranormal. Any surpressed memories in there?
ruffreadyOffline
Ruff says..
Total posts: 2413
PostPosted: 16-01-2003 05:30    Post subject: book by "David J hufford, called ... Reply with quote

The Terror That Comes In The Night---If you have ever awoke to the sudden realization that you cannot move, and this experience has been accompanied by a convincing feeling that there is something with a sinister intention there with you in the room, or if you have felt, heard, or even seen something strange and haunting during this state of immobility, then this book is for you my unfortunate friend! I have suffered from sleep paralysis most my life, and this is the only book I have ever found that explores the subject. A very interesting read! Although I do not agree with some of the conclusions that the author suggests, it is nevertheless a well researched and informative book. By the way, if you do suffer from sleep paralysis or the "old hag" as Hufford calls it, it is completely harmless based upon my own experience, other than it can scare the bejeebers out of you. If you do suffer from the above mentioned symptoms, there are several BB's on the web where you can talk with others that suffer from SP, and don't get too worked up over it, it happens to a lot of us as this book skilfully demonstrates.
Mr_SeaweedskiOffline
The Frumious Bandersnatch
Total posts: 174
PostPosted: 22-01-2003 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young, pre-teen I occasionally woke up in the night unable to move, but fully aware of my surroundings. I never had any weight on my chest, or feelings of negative presences, so I used to see it as a fun game. I'd try and move each part of my body until I fell asleep again! Shame I haven't had the experiece since.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-01-2003 06:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quite a few experiences with sleep paralysis. The majority of these have the common theme of an overpowering evil presence. Of this theme there are 2 that I can classify. One is of undescribable terror by unknown horrors, and another is of malevolent aliens intent on causing bodily harm.

In both 'situations' I am lying down in my bedroom unable to move, frozen by terror and a sense of impending doom. Looking back however, as real as they may have seemed, the dream environment lacked certain details that only exist in a waking state.

I've found also that all of the episodes occur when the night has been exceptionally cold and that I'd awaken in the morning without the protection of a blanket, in addition to being exhausted before sleeping.

Recently though, I've experienced a twist to the normal episode: I am dreaming of reaching something and fluctuate from dream to waking state with the distinct awareness that I do actually have my arm outstretched.

There are studies of this phenomenon that you should look into, apparently sleep paralysis is universal and disregards age or ethnicity. (I've forgotten the websites but you'll surely find them at first try in Google)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 25-01-2003 00:42    Post subject: my experiance Reply with quote

Something like this happened to me once. Although when I mentioned it on the boards, everyone told me it was sleep paralysis, I personally don't think so. For one, I wasn't sleeping when it happened!
I had just gotten into bed and turned off the light. All the sudden I started feeling strange, but I was completely awake and aware of my surroundings. I felt as though I was being drugged. The feeling grew more and more intense, and I was completely freaking out. I also felt as though I was being pushed down. Soon I was completely paralyzed. I had lay down to sleep on my side, but as I lay there paralyzed, I had the sensation of floating over, and soon I was able to tell I was on my back. I was terrified. I couldn't scream. I wanted to so bad. I couldn't see. My eyes felt as though they had been glued closed or something.
That was when I felt something plop down on my chest. I tried to open my eyes or scream for help, but I was still paralyzed. Then, to my horror, I felt a cold hand (I swear this on my LIFE) reach down and pull my panties aside and begin..molesting me. It was one of the most traumatic moments of my life. I was completely helpless. I was also angry. I am not the type of person to let myself be violated.
So I reached down inside myself and took all the strength I could muster from the bottom of my soul. I somehow forced my eyes to open. What I saw was the dark shape of a man sitting on me. He wasn't solid, more like a shadow with a dark outline. I could only see him at all because the light from the clock on my CD player was shining directly behind him. There was no face, no features of any kid, just a shadow, a shape. There was an outline of curly hair, short, but something that struck me as strange was there were no ears. Odd...
I had my eyes open for only a few moments, and he was still touching me. His hands were cold, but not icy. Just void of warmth. They felt solid, like human hands.
I reached inside myself again, looking for the same strength that I had used to force my eyes open. I put forth all I could to muster up a scream. What came out was a tiny wimper. But it was enough. I saw the things head snap up, and then, almost as if he was afraid of me , the human shape came apart and floated up and away, like a puff of smoke. I immediately felt the paralysis melt away and was able to turn the light on and look around. There was no permanant damage, although I was quite sore "down there" where I had been violated. It was just a very strange and horrible situation. I didn't sleep well the rest of that night. A lot of people told me this was "just a dream", but I don't believe it. I have never had a dream when I wasn't asleep. I wasn't even tired when I was getting into bed that night, I just had to be up early the next morning.
Well, theres my story one more time. I know I've told it before, but I can relate to the need to tell people something so strange over and over. It's unbelievable!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-01-2003 03:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello there..... I have this problem about every three months... sometimes all get lucky in it will only be every six months but the last time I had this it was the worst...

I had the typical things that happened I could not move.... so terrified I felt a very evil presence on top of Me... this time it was whispering something in my ear.... and I have to tell you as the most bone chilling his voice I've ever heard but to this day I can't remember what it was whispering to me.... I hope I don't experience that again....
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-01-2003 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dealing with sleep paralysis since I was a kid. And I still deal with it to this day. It started as just waking up not being a move, scream, or anything physical. Then over time came with it the terrible hallucinations. Or what I thought I was hallucinations. Even though I am wide awake and full aware of my surroundings. I see dark shadows moving about me. They are sitting on me or laying next to me playing with my hair.

And MsClaireVoyant's experince really struck a nerve with me. Becasue I have had that same thing happen to me. I'm awake and conscious. And then I get this overwhelming drugged feeling. Then I fall into paralysis. Then I start feeling violated. I mean I physically feel it. And there has been a few times I have actually fallen asleep and woke up feeling like this. It freaks me out. And there is nothing I know of that can be done about it. And I have never told anyone I told myself I was dreaming but I know I was not.

What really gets me about the whole sleep paralysis thing is how some people go there whole life with no experience, some less than a handful of times in there lifetime, or people like me. I have it all the time. Sometimes every night for months. Sometimes it will stop completely for a month or two. But for the most part I have it all the time. It doesn't matter how lay. No matter what I do before bedtime. And it's not something you can talk about with everyone or else you will be gagged or taken off to the nearest psych ward. Eek Eek
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-01-2003 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean... cant really talk about it.... I went to a psychiatrist and they said I was schizophrenic and puts me on medication.... i said I don't think so I AM not schizophrenic.... I haven't been on any medication and it`s been over five years and I am just fine....

now I've been having the same problems... not every time... about what you said about feels like you're being violated.... sametime it feel`s like you're being raped and there's nothing you can do about it you can feel everything that's going on....

I really don't know what to think:(
if it's evil spirits... or just have a very powerful mind...
Anonymous
PostPosted: 30-01-2003 21:32    Post subject: kokma in St Lucia Reply with quote

Having studied sleep paralysis and hypnagogic experiences i can tell you all what i know and what i have experienced.
The first experience i had of sleep paralysis was when i was about ten years old. One morning as i awoke i could hear my family going about their morning rituals - but i couldn't open my eyes nor could i move. It was more uncomfortable than terrifying.
A year later i awoke to find my bed shaking violently - in fact the whole room was shaking; i hid under the bedclothes, scared out of my wits. I now try to rationalise this as having been one of the rare earthquakes we get in Western Scotland rather than poltergeist activity.
About ten years ago whilst on holiday in St Lucia i experienced the most horrifying episode of my life. Lying down to sleep with my girlfriend beside me, my whole body was consumed by paralysis. I couldn't move a muscle - i think my eyes were shut. I began to feel as if i was being sucked into my bed - i can only explain it as if my soul was being sucked into a void. I sensed a presence hovering beside my bed; i'm sure it was a wolf's head.
i made a huge effort to cry out..."help me, help me".
When i awoke in the morning i asked my girlfriend if anything strange had happened the previous night. She said i had been talking in my sleep, mumbling "help me".
It was after this that i began investigationg sleep paralysis and hypnagogic experiences. To my utter amazement i discovered the legend of 'Kokma' in St Lucia. Rumoured to be the spirit of a dead baby which tries to suffocate people in their sleep.
Theis lead to the concept of the 'Old Hag' in Newfoundland which has terrorised people in their sleep for hundreds of years.
Also the idea of wicked elementals, incubbi & succubi who prey on those on the verge of sleep.
There is no doubting the fact that hypnagogic experiences occur more often when one is on the verge of sleep. Certainly there are those who are prone to it and those who will never experience it - those are the lucky ones.
It certainly made me think very hard about life after death.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 31-01-2003 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex wrote:

now I've been having the same problems... not every time... about what you said about feels like you're being violated.... sametime it feel`s like you're being raped and there's nothing you can do about it you can feel everything that's going on....

There's a Dean Koontz novel that describes a woman having feelings like that, and it turns out to be here psychiatrist hypnotising her, raping her and the suppressing the memories. She dreamt that she was being raped, but could never see who by, or be sure it really happened. Not sure how much this was based on reality (i.e. how possible it could be), but could offer a less paranormal, though altogether scarier explanation.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-02-2003 08:30    Post subject: Sleep paralysis Reply with quote

When I was 14 or 15 I started experiencing sleep paralysis.
When this happened, I could hear noises like someone moving around in my bedroom. Forcing myself to relax, I would then turn on the light and no one was there.

The incidents got worse. Not only was I hearing but I was feeling.
Once I felt something pull my foot, I was reading a book with the light on at the time. The most disturbing incident was when I felt something bite at my forehead. No bite marks but felt and heard it. That happened when I was lying in bed with the light off.

When I stayed at my Dads' place sleep paralysis would happen to me there as well.

It stopped when I left home (to go to university) but now if I stay at my Mothers' place I have to sleep in the kids room where there is a night light. There is no way I have told my parents what was going on and they don't know to this day.

I then moved away - to the other end of the country.

Last year my friend and I were just chatting, she was having a period of difficulty sleeping. She then went on to confide in me that she had waken up one night unable to move and with the impression that something or one was in the bedroom with her.

She has two dogs that are sensitive to strangers in her back yard and if it was someone trying to break in they would have woken up. The dogs sleep inside the house so there is no chance of them being drugged before alerting my friend.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-02-2003 01:20    Post subject: Sleep Paralysis Reply with quote

Greetings esteemed listfolk,

I am an experiencer, and I've been an animal communicator since I was a very young child. I have had some 15 or so 'sleep paralysis' and related events over my life, and have spent my time as a researcher and simulist tracing out their sources, and most likely natures.

My own experience was a slowly building wave, which led eventually to a 'dream' in which, awakening paralyzed to a biovisionary 'symbol', I found I had recovered three paragraphs of text from a book, during the experience. Repetition of this 'text' which was mundane, resulted in an instant replay of the paralysis and visionary experience. After three accidental (waking life) replays, I was, at the time, too terrified to record it, and I literally erased the specific wording from my memory, automatically, after the third event.

But that situation left me with an entirely new set of questions, questions of a very uncommon nature. And those questions, I believe, led me to an experience during the summer of 2002 which I have never encountered the like of in any bible, fiction, or literature.

I sought the answers to my own experience in many uncommon domains, and integrations of domains for over 30 years. I do not believe the 'symptom myths' about sleep paralysis and paravisionary states, at all. My experience contradicts these 'theories' nearly entirely.

SP is a psybiocognitive event. Emotion, poetics, and character (in person (personal story-moment) and environment) are all critical features of our human persons, and of our SP experiences, yet science, mysticism, religion, and medicine -all- require we accept absurdly limiting models of our experience instead of giving us the wings to fruitfully explore ourselves. This leads to atrocity, and profit-based systems which prey on every novelty and potential in order to reduce us to helpless, fearful, and obedient slaves.

SP is a pheonomenon of -awakening-, it is a moment of connection with ancient sources, and momentums, which exist at the cellular level and are essentially cognitive in nature. The models and metaphors we've been applying to these phenomenon do not even begin to address the truth of their meanings and potentials.

Sp is an event which is commonly brought on (or brought into conscious awareness) by stress, illness or exhaustion — and it can also be triggered by deep emotional concerns, but it does not require these precursors. It can emerge as an element of the natural cognitive growth phases of human beings as well. Although it is often related to crisis, it brings with it the incredible potential for radical and transformative change, IF we can explore and together support each other in embodying the many 'new ways of knowing' that are required if we are to liberate ourselves from the tyrannical ways of science, religion, mysticism and philosophy.

SP is a part of our natural cognitive connectivity, and it relates directly to the sources of our human language, intelligence, and evolution.

There is a lot more to be discovered about this phenomenon, which is far more common than we are aware, and far far more significant, as a clue to our natures and potentials, than anyone has yet glimpsed.

Don't be willing to believe that SP is illness. It isn't. It's 'an aspect of your miraclePowers', trying desperately to get you to allow it to speak within and around you.

There are ways of knowing that can save our people and world...and they are free, now...

http://www.organelle.org/

I am currently working on an extended text dealing with these and related topics. I welcome your reports of SP phenomenon, and I also counsel SP experiencers, electronically, worldwide.

I can be reached at
orchaeus1
At the above referenced domain.

All blessings to you and those you adore.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 08-02-2003 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main targets of sleep paralysis are people who are experiencing major upset, illness, emotional stress.

The greater the upset in a life the greater the attraction to bad spirits or things of evil energy. We are the most vulnerable therefore the easier the prey.

I don't know how to theorize about 'out of the blue' experiences by average people (people who are suffering less in comparison)
perhaps its a challenge or a bold attempt by a bad spirit or thing of evil energy to interrupt a life.

But to say that sleep paralysis is a experience to be enjoyed or to be welcomed as a herald of spiritual growth is complete crap. No-one who suffers from this either in intensity or over a long term period enjoys it. I didn't ask for it and it has left me pyschologically scarred for life. I now can never enjoy a full nights sleep or enjoy a total state of relaxation because I will always be waiting for ' it's ' return.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 09-02-2003 02:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbasil wrote:

I think the main targets of sleep paralysis are people who are experiencing major upset, illness, emotional stress.

The greater the upset in a life the greater the attraction to bad spirits or things of evil energy. We are the most vulnerable therefore the easier the prey.

I don't know how to theorize about 'out of the blue' experiences by average people (people who are suffering less in comparison)
perhaps its a challenge or a bold attempt by a bad spirit or thing of evil energy to interrupt a life.

But to say that sleep paralysis is a experience to be enjoyed or to be welcomed as a herald of spiritual growth is complete crap. No-one who suffers from this either in intensity or over a long term period enjoys it. I didn't ask for it and it has left me pyschologically scarred for life. I now can never enjoy a full nights sleep or enjoy a total state of relaxation because I will always be waiting for ' it's ' return.
exactly.... thank you for saying everything I was thinking;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: