Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
CLASSIC ARCHIVE MERGED: SLEEP PARALYSIS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticroseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 03-03-2008 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deeply Christian housemate got it a few weeks ago, she said she couldn't move, but didn't SEE anything, but HEARD something. It apparently said her name, and was banging the sides of the wooden bed frame. She thought it was me, as it was a frightened young female voice, so as soon as she could move, she texted me from her room (she was too scared to literally walk the 5 yards) and asked if I was ok, and could I come and sit with her. She was near tears, and thought she had been posessed. She had never heard of sleep paralysis, and being deeply Christian, automatically associated the phenomenon with her faith.
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5532
PostPosted: 04-03-2008 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticrose wrote:
It apparently said her name, and was banging the sides of the wooden bed frame.

But is "banging the...bed" usually associated with SP? (Hearing one's name called while alone is so common as to almost not require discussion.)

It seems more akin to the "shaking bed" sort of thing, which Christians commonly associate with the demonic.

[However, the one time this Christian experienced the "shaking bed" phenomena, 35 years ago, it was pretty clearly a transient inner ear disturbance, since the room continued to shake even after I leaped out of bed.]
celticroseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 04-03-2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not well versed enough in the field to comment, I'm afraid.
alchemystics72Offline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 12-03-2008 17:52    Post subject: My daughter and.... Reply with quote

I have had sleep paralysis but is usually when times are very stressful, however, was totally unaware the 'old hag' and sleep paralysis were related? Both her and I have seen in nightmares (myself, as a child when fully awake) an old old hag like woman with long white scraggly hair - I just assumed this was a separate common sighting.
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5532
PostPosted: 12-03-2008 21:08    Post subject: Re: My daughter and.... Reply with quote

alchemystics72 wrote:
....an old old hag like woman with long white scraggly hair

While Sleep Paralysis is a perfectly natural phenomenon there is evidence that it can act as a trigger for paranormal episodes.

And while all sorts of visions have been reported in connection with SP, I've collected more than 30 types, the "old old hag like woman with long white scraggly hair" is far and away the largest single category.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12979
PostPosted: 17-03-2008 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't going to mention this, but I think it counts. A few nights ago I had my first SP experience, but it wasn't full on. I was half awake and feeling great pressure on my upper body as I tried to wake properly, because the British actor Tamer Hassan was sitting on my chest.

It only lasted less than a minute before I was able to shake off the feeling and confirm that Mr Hassan was nowhere in the vicinity. I hope it doesn't happen again, or get worse.
LordRsmackerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 483
PostPosted: 18-03-2008 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely, I get the same kind of thing, but I think Abi Titmus is sitting on my face, and try as I might, I can't move my tongue. The pressure in the lower half of my body is almost intolerable and needs swift relief once I have broken the spell and can move again.

These instances of sleep paralysis, along with hypnopompic and hynogogic experiences, old hag and all, are so mundane to me as to be boring. They really belong on a medical message board, along with tales of people who eat rotten food and then are "mysteriously" sick.
Nothing mysterious, supernatural, mystical, paranormal about them, just simple workings of the human machine. (Which is not to say that the human machine isn't a mysterious, fantastic device, of course, but it's within that lie all the answers, pure medical science)

The reason I'm so unimpressed by any of this is because of my lifelong struggle with Narcolepsy, these experiences are EVERYDAY occurences for me. Once upon a time they scared the crap out of me, not so much now. The old hag that sits on my chest clears off when I "tell" her I'm going to bone her chocolate starfish, dry. Seriously. She obviously doesn't fancy that much, yet when I used to struggle to gasp a word, prayer, move just an inch, she'd sit there loving it, gloating. Instead of fighting my mind and body, I go with it, and then I can get back to as much of a normal sleep as I get at night.

Lying there when I have a N-attack (or a C-attack, Cataplexy), day or night, I hear all sorts of things, things I can't possibly be hearing, and before and after see the same, but I don't let it bother me, the trick is not to fight at all, and it will be over sooner. My body is not quite right (some say my mind too!!), and I have to live with it, people experiencing these episodes should just accept their little taste of life of a N&C sufferer.

OTR suggests these episodes can be a trigger for paranormal episodes, and this may or may not be so. I can only say from my own personal experience, that nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened around me at such times, even when I was more open to the idea that there was more to it all than chemical reactions in my brain.

Um, except the times that.......nah, you're all probably asleep now anyway. Maybe another time!
_cryptoOffline
Wanderer of the Wastes
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: 22-03-2008 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first experience of SP yesterday morning. I had fallen asleep on the lounge whilst holding my sleeping baby. I remember my 17 year old step daughter coming over and sticking her finger in my mouth. I tried to open my mouth and I couldn't. I then tried to move my tongue and open my eyes. I couldn't do either of these either. All I could feel was this strong pressure on the back of my neck. I'm not sure how I woke myself up but I soon found myself properly awake and moving again. As soon as I had woken up I asked my 5 year old whether anyone had walked over to me and stuck their finger in my mouth. He replied that nobody had done this. I must say that the effect of being paralysed is most unsettling. I certainly hope it never occurs again.
tamyuOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 275
PostPosted: 24-04-2008 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason when I first posted this, I didn`t notice that there was a topic dedicated to sleep paralysis - so I have a feeling my experience was completely buried in the other thread...

So I will repost here, if only to make it easier for anyone interested to read a first person account. I originally posted it in November, I believe;

Quote:
I had my first run in with sleep paralysis yesterday, and I have to say it was fascinating.
I laid down for a short nap before having to pick my son up from preschool. As I only had about 2 and a half hours until I needed to pick him up, I could easily imagine sleeping more deeply than intended and not hearing the alarm clock... So I went to sleep in a sort of careful state, trying to be especially aware of noises so that I would wake up on time. This almost always works for me. I can sleep through my alarm with no problems at all if I don`t need to be up, but if I make sure I leave the "Need to be up!" flag in my mind, I wake up easily on the very first sound it makes.

I fell asleep, and something woke me up. (I`m guessing a car sound from outside) I started to wake up, but realized it wasn`t my alarm, so opted to go back to sleep. Then I felt it. Something large and heavy sort of came down on top of me. I could feel it pressing down harder and harder, holding me down. For the first few seconds, I found it frightening.... And then I realized - This is sleep paralysis! The fear disappeared, and I noticed several things. The weight had no specific points. It was even, like a huge lead blanket had been slowly put down on to my body. It was also only on top of me. If something were actually pressing down on me, I would feel pressure from below also, as I would be feeling resistance from the bed. There was none of that, and I was actually quite comfortable. I also wasn`t having any of the breathing difficulties that I would imagine having if something really were on top of me. Maybe this is because I was on my side? Or maybe it was because I wasn`t feeling any fear...

I tried moving, and managed to open my eyes and look up. I was hoping to catch a dreamy glimpse of the dark forms people often report seeing - but nothing was there... And it seemed that the movement broke the spell, and I was able to move. Went quickly back to sleep - and it happened again. I tried to move my arm, but either wasn`t able to or the movement was so feeble that it didn`t make much difference. But it was enough to snap me out of it.

When I went back to sleep again, it happened almost immediately, and I was able to open my eyes and look around a bit at my blurry but normal room. I tried to roll over, but couldn`t, and decided that despite the strange sensation of weight it really wasn`t all that uncomfortable, so didn`t try to snap myself out of it, relaxed, and slept peacefully until the alarm went off.

I wasn`t all that scared - the second I realized what it was, it was more of an experiment to me. But I could easily see how people could be scared out of their wits. I found it quite cool in it`s own way!
sharpsuitOffline
Suitably enigmatic music at zenhussies.com
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 26-05-2008 23:33    Post subject: Sleep Paralysis... night terrors and stress Reply with quote

I experienced very violent sleep paralysis on a recurring basis in my late teens / early twenties. It would always commence as I was drifting off with a strange sensation in my head that I would describe like ones brain being put on a spin cycle. After that came the typical immobilisation and feeling of being supressed by some unseen, but very dark and powerful force. My experience would then take a very violent turn, and I would be 'physically' (in my dream state) thrown about the room or wherever I was sleeping and my surroundings being trashed. Thankfully, it is many years now since these occured. At the time, my mother was in a very unfortunate relationship with a violent alcoholic, and I attribute these night terrors to the stress that that brought about. They are bloody terrifying, and I would not wish them on anyone. Has anyone else experienced the weird 'flooding of the brain' feeling prior to it? I always knew what was coming next when this occurred. Admittedly, back then I smoked a lot of dope and was experimenting with LSD, mushrooms and such, and would gladly accept that these symptoms may be to do with that. The actual terror/paralysis however, I have no doubt was due to waking stresses and fears.
danny_cogdonOffline
Banned
Total posts: 479
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 04:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suffered Night Terrors all my life. I awake with a feeling of intense evil, I can't move or scream. I feel an immense weight pressing me down into the bed. Then a buzz, incredibly loud and seeming to emminate from all directions, fills the room. Then the bed feels as though it is floating and begins to vibrate wildly.

A few years ago it began to happen again. That night I was very, very tired and as it started I remember shouting with my mind "I CAN'T BE BOTHERED WITH THIS TONIGHT! F*CK OFF!!!" It immediately stopped and hasn't happened since! Shocked
wendytorranceOffline
Grey
Total posts: 21
PostPosted: 04-08-2008 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced this phenomenon once -and I'm glad only once!

I was about 21/22 and living in a shared flat. I woke up one night to sound of people out the back. I sat up in bed and looked out the window behind me -sure enough I saw a group of young people dressed in evening wear milling around the back green -like they had come from a student grad ball perhaps.

Thinking no more of it, I lay back down again -I then realised I couldn't move a muscle. I didn't feel any presence in the room, just this dead weight on me, making the slightest attempt at movement an impossibility. I struggled and eventually broke the 'spell'.

Justifiably freaked out, I reached over to switch on my bedside light -it wouldn't work. I got out of bed and crossed the room (standing/stumbling on a shoe on the way) to switch on the main light from the door -again, no power. Feeling increasingly alarmed, i then walked through the rest of the house, frantically trying to get some light to work somewhere! And then....I woke up.

Completely freaked out, I then had to switch on my bedside light to make sure I was actually awake. By this point I wasn't sure of anything anymore. Thankfully the light worked. I looked out the window and of course there were no people -there was no room for people in the tiny and very overgrown back green associated with the tenement.

I remember this experience very clearly as i was so weirded out by not knowing what was real and what wasn't. I understand now it was sleep paralysis combined with an incredibly vivid and real dream, but it didn't make it any less scary at the time!
crystophalaxOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 39
PostPosted: 05-08-2008 00:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Description of a Mundane Sleep Paralysis Experience

It happened that I worked evenings, and so putting this to my advantage I took to rising at a reasonable hour of the morning and then retreating to the bed with toast, a mug hot tea and good book. This way some pleasant time could be spent and on that morning I found myself sat up reading The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. Not so long after the completion of my breakfast that was tainted only by my stomachs churning due to a weekend of excess, I became drowsy, as I often did, and abandoned my reading when the words on the page began to wander with my sleepiness.

Laying down I drifted in and out of consciousness and I was possessed of that extreme form of drowsiness that felt as if I had been drugged by some powerful narcotic. I don’t know for how long I had succumbed to sleep before a tugging of my consciousness impressed itself upon me with such urgency that I found myself awakening in a panic, a state vigorously exasperated by the fact that I was completely unable to move.

It is sure evidence of the impairment of my faculties at that time, that I put my paralysis down to the bed sheets having being tucked in very tightly.To my defense, I had slept in beds like that, but only in hotels. Yet these sheets became so tight that they crushed my chest as I lay there prone, quickening my sense of panic. My eyes wandered and I could see that the bedroom door was fully open behind me and to the right, everything was normal and in its place, only I was being crushed.

It was like force of will, the thing that broke the spell. Some internal conflict had been fought and at the moment the opponent had been overthrown, or mentally forced into submission, the power of movement flooded back into my body. At this moment I felt some hence unrecognized, missing aspect of my consciousness slide into place. The world changed subtly and I truly awoke. The bedroom door was ajar and the duvet was crumpled around me.

What to make of such things? My feelings were of relief and yet there was a strangeness that I struggle to throw off. The mind is surely full of wonders as is the universe in which it resides. I hesetate to draw conclusions from some of them.
LeapingEriOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 150
PostPosted: 17-01-2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's dreams included sleep paralysis - which I get often and which I've been experiencing since I was a kid - but this time it seemed to be the result of my first lucid dream experience ever.

In my dream, I was walking up the stairs in a place with blank light-colored walls and at the top of the stairs was a crash-test-dummy-type mannequin that appeared to be damaged in the head. I suddenly realized I was dreaming and decided to wake myself up. I "awoke" into sleep paralysis and thought to myself "oh, this was a bad idea." But I started "shaking my feet" and then woke up for real. From my experience with s.p., I really think that most of it is a dream state and only part is awake, not unlike lucid dreaming.
mossy_slothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 30-03-2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I've fallen off this message board these last few years, but I just keep having stupid sleep episodes and I need to rant about it to people who know what the hell I am talking about.

Last night it was sleep paralysis. My dreams are pretty much always violent and frightening, but last night it was worse because it was followed by the most protracted episode of sleep paralysis I have ever had. I had woken up from my dream, kind of, and became aware of the sound of a dog breathing behind me. Then i felt the dog's paws pushing on my back. (I don't have dogs any more, although I did until recently) I did all the usual sleep paralysis things, trying desperately to open my eyes, trying to scream, trying to somehow wake up. Eventually I did, but I retained this awful panicked feeling of complete terror. I couldn't get the light on quick enough. I had to quickly put on some cheerful gogol bordello, and leave the light on, before I was comfortable enough to reconsider sleep. Arg.

On a related note, my instances of hypnopompic hallucinations are increasing in frequency and intensity. It's usually a spider. I wake up, stare at the ceiling for a while, and notice that there is a huge spider crawling across it. I start to become vaguely worried, but then after a few seconds it fades away slowly as I watch.

I seem to have the whole gamut - intense dreams that have internal cohesion that spans years, sleep paralysis, hypnopompic hallucinations, hypnogogic voices and music, false awakenings, excessive sleep talking (the other morning I woke myself up saying "I need an SBX Extender!" whatever the hell that means).

As you can imagine, sleep is rarely a refreshing experience for me, and insomnia is a frequent visitor Razz

Apologies if this is repetitive, I haven't really been keeping up with the mb. Perhaps I should now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: