Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
CLASSIC ARCHIVE MERGED: SLEEP PARALYSIS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MachineElf
Yeti
PostPosted: 30-03-2009 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mossy_sloth, that sounds mighty unpleasant but I have heard of similar reports in people who are stressed or suffering from REM deprivation. Are you getting any waking hallucinations?
mossy_slothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 31-03-2009 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no waking hallucinations, but I think you are right about the sleep deprivation. I have a lot of joint pain which stops me sleeping through the night, so perhaps I'm just not getting enough sleep and/or the frequent waking up means I have more memory of the dreams etc. Maybe the physical discomfort while I am sleeping influences the violent dreams. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else's experiences correspond to mine.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 31-03-2009 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the lack of sleep is making things worse. Have you considered seeing a doctor? They might give you some decent sleeping pills.
mossy_slothOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 31-03-2009 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx, that will be my next stop i think!
tonyblair11
PostPosted: 31-03-2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that you don't get full deep rem sleep with pills. So you will still be tired.
mossy_slothOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 31-03-2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... what exactly is the point of sleeping pills then? I've tried temazepam a couple of times, but both times it still took me 4+ hours to fall asleep and then I was only asleep for an hour. Perhaps there is a different type I can try? To be honest, it's really not that bad at the moment, just the sleep paralysis thing freaked me out a bit, haha.
toadstoolzOffline
Away with the fairy folk?
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 21:20    Post subject: Make urself a cuppa before you read this.....LONG post sorry Reply with quote

Sorry this is gonna be a long post......

Reading this thread it sounds like many people are just happy to put their experience down to plain old 'sleep paralysis'. I suppose that makes them feel better to stick it in a box like that. I agree with some others on the board that, whilst sleep paralysis can be a medical condition, there can be other things going on aswell. I feel that entities and beings can and do use the door that opens up.......

here's my experience.........

It was when I was at university and during my holidays, I was staying with my boyfriend and his parents in their house. We were messing around with Ouija boards with some friends (at the house of a friend). Yup really stupid to mess around with what you don't understand. We thought it would be really funny to muck about mock the answers.....we were drinking and it turned into a bit of a game. Big mistake. Strange things happened to me during and after one particular session, to simplify it...I went really shivery cold and my lips turned blue, everyone was worried as it was in the middle of summer and hot. I collapsed and my skin was cold. After a while I came to and I warmed up. We left and I felt as if something followed us home, I felt like I was being watched.

From that point on things started to happen around me witnessed by many other people. Things would move (for example one night my boyfriend's mum's doll collection all turned their heads in our direction, pictures springing forward off the wall, light bulbs exploding, television switching itself on and off and flicking through channels etc.) we could hear voices and evil sounding laughter. We were terrified enough with that.

Then both myself and my boyfriend would experience something like sleep paralysis AT THE SAME TIME..........even if we were both sleepy but awake and just lying down fully conscious and talking. All of a sudden we'd both be paralysed and hear something like a crackling sparking of electricity and voices. We were terrified and all we could do was whimper.....couldn't move a muscle, couldn't speak. We'd both 'go down' and come out at the same time. This had never happened to either of us before. What are the odds on us both developing a medical condition and experiencing it at the same time and duration? What happened to me in particular took a sinister turn when I was alone and my boyfriend was on nightshift. I did actually feel as if I was abused physically (would rather not go into this in the middle of this thread....lets say it was HORRIFIC and leave it at that). This went on for about 3 weeks we were terrified, sleeping fully clothed with all the lights on doors open, wearing crucifixes and saying the Lords prayer over and over, whenever something happened (At the time I leaned towards Christianity and felt that because I was in something of a battle with evil this was the best option. Although since then my feelings have changed religiously). Suddenly, it all stopped and it was like the atmosphere changed. I didn't feel like I was being watched anymore. Things went on as normal for a while.

My sleep paralysis type experience came back after an altogether different experience of missing time. These experiences are very different from what happened before. I feel I will be ridiculed for the conclusions I have come to about this. Although I can relate that I feel as though I'm being scanned and I've seen a panel pop up and readouts flash up. My whole body buzzes and I feel as though I'm being communicated with. This lasts a few minutes I've Felt my memory, thoughts and dreams being 'downloaded' Yes many of you will say that my mind created this in sleep...... let me just say that I've seen these beings, and seen what they travel in more then once. I have had some seriously weird things happen.....including physical evidence on my body.........which I'd rather not relate in this thread. How I wish that I just had standard sleep paralysis....

For those who mock others beliefs of what they are experiencing. Who can say with any certainty how the universe formed and why? None of us, the possibilities of the universe are infinite. Just imagine for a second that other life forms / entities can rip open the fabric of time and space.... and visit the consciousness of a human if they choose, perhaps the point of sleep is the best place where a door in the consciousness opens. A few minutes to us and who knows what time is where 'they' come from.....who knows what really occured, where and why. Alot of people think they are in two places at once, like they are in their own room but it's 'different'....maybe they can overlap 2 points in space and time..... Sleep is another of those mysteries.....scientists can't even agree what sleep is or what it's for....anyway enough of me rambling on...I just want to entreat some people to open their minds.

Whatever your belief, the whole sleep paralysis experience I think most of us can agree,is pretty SCARY and something I dread. You can think I'm crazy or have a vivid imagination and that's fine.....maybe I am LOL. I came and posted it on here in the hope of talking to others with similar experiences, some of you are going through the same thing and it's a very lonely place to be.
avakanaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 13-08-2009 00:13    Post subject: Sleep Paralysis Reply with quote

I suppose it may have been covered in previous posts but sleep paralysis was a key feature in the Paintings of Henry Fuseli- in particular the dramatic painting of the nightmare, where a being is sitting on his chest and a sinister horse peering from behind the curtain... it was in those days blamed on diet and often referred too by Lavater...

More contemporary reasons for sleeplessness are associated with being on computers after 4pm which results in a dramatic decline in Melatonin levels... essential to sleep and also a powerful natural oncogenic agent... a big reason why children shouldn't be on computers after school or have them in their rooms... it is possible to supplement with Melatonin and this does improve quality of sleep.

Ava
toadstoolzOffline
Away with the fairy folk?
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 13-08-2009 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Just in case that comment about 'children' was aimed at the likes of moi......

I'm now in my mid 30s..... Wink

Didn't have a computer back then but definitely overuse my pc now......and yes after 4pm...... Shocked

Melatonin definately needs a boost........not to mention my serotonin Laughing now where did I put that choccy bar??
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 5360
PostPosted: 13-08-2009 10:48    Post subject: Re: Sleep Paralysis Reply with quote

avakana wrote:
....More contemporary reasons for sleeplessness are associated with being on computers after 4pm which results in a dramatic decline in Melatonin levels... essential to sleep and also a powerful natural oncogenic agent...

What's the reference for that? I assume you mean that melatonin is anti-ocogenic (if it was oncogenic you wouldn't want high levels).
macrosblackOffline
um
Total posts: 218
PostPosted: 01-09-2009 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father used to suffer from this and reluctently admitted to leaving the body at times. Well, I must have inherited this in my teens and have many strange episodes involving paralysis and OOBE.

One such experience began with me waking up on my side facing the wall and it dawned on me that although i was very relaxed i couldnt move. Strangly this didnt seem to concern me so i just closed my eyes with hope of more sleep. A few seconds later i opened my eyes to find i was laying on my other side but at the same time still facing the wall?!?! I simply closed my eyes and fell asleep.

One Saturday morning i awoke on my back, the sun shining through the curtains, birds singing etc when i became aware of a strange humming sound situated somewhere just below my head. I assumed that this was the result of some council work outside and left the matter at that. Then i triad to get up and couldnt!!!!! My entire body felt like a big lump of stone attached to my head. Only my eyes moved under will and my attempts at calling out for help remained as sounds in my mind! After five minutes of total shock and fear came a strange idea - to close my eyes and allow the body to finish - what ever this meant seemed the right thing to do at the time. Closing my eyes left me feeling dizzy and the OOBE feeling kicked in, floating upwards and then falling with terminal velocity into my body. I jumped out of my "sleep", heart beating like crazy and jumped out of bed making sure my body now worked!
kmosselOffline
Give in
Total posts: 104
PostPosted: 02-09-2009 00:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, toadstoolz: thanks for posting your experiences with sleep paralysis. It never hurts to read a "dissenting" opinion. At the very least, it gave me a nice case of the heebie-jeebies.

Timble2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin has more details on the anti-oxidizing characteristics of melatonin. Specifically with regards to cancer, it says:
Quote:
In animal models, melatonin has been demonstrated to prevent the damage to DNA by some carcinogens, stopping the mechanism by which they cause cancer.

And that remark is footnoted with a reference.

The Wikipedia article also says that melatonin supplements make one dream more vivid. I can personally testify to that. Smile
coffeeandcakesOffline
Grey
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: 02-09-2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having sp on and off since i was 13, i'm 29 now. They have been coupled with sounds, jerks, OBEs, false awakenings, feelings of evil and hallucinations although i've never ever experienced a weight on me. The most intense episode has been in the last month. I half awoke, as i was dreaming of these alien things standing around me but i had full awareness of everything around me. Then suddenly I had the realisation that one of them was holding my hand. Sort of 2 fingers in my closed fist. I can't explain why, but in my sp state I wanted to hurt it. So I squeezed my fist so so tight and I felt the fingers struggle, I kept squeezing and squeezing and then I woke up completely. It's really unbelievable how powerful the mind is. I couldn't open my eyes the whole time yet somehow I can tell you the fingers were ice cold and greeny brown. I heard they stop when you're 30 though I doubt it. I've lots of other minor strangenesses I'll share another time when I'm not on my internet on my phone Smile x
macrosblackOffline
um
Total posts: 218
PostPosted: 02-09-2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a long one - I have a few days off work so i can stay up and write what i dare no reveal in the day.

I have to place here that i have never experienced the sitting on chest thing.

I have noticed that some OOBE ive had are guided and not my choice. Sometimes i will become aware or awake in a dream that doesnt make sense or seem right.(very short dreams that i become aware of and think - right! this isnt right)

The most recent was of standing in the bedroom of my childhood. I was adult(in the dream) and a younger member of my family was there too sat at a desk(that wasnt in my real past). I started to come around in this dream and looked around thinking wow im back! I then sensed something else in the room and it scared me. I looked to the window - the curtains where open (they where always closed as i remember back then) A very icy cold white disc hung in the sky and moved upwwards with a stream of light. I felt trapped here and started to worry. I knew what that thing in the sky was - but now cannot explain it!?!?

So with knowledge of that thing i decided that the only way to escape was to climb into the bed i used as a child and fall asleep. I hugged the covers and felt a coldness around my neck.

I woke up with the duvet pulled to one side along my body. I was on my side, my back area exposed. My neck was freezing which puzzled me as the rest of me (uncovered) was luke warm.

My cold neck and that dream alerted me to something not human occuring and angered me as i lay there.

It kept me up for about an hour or so and made me more angry as i had work in the morning!

It as left me with an idea that so called abuctions are not only little green man landing/taking you etc. I believe that they utilise you in your dream state too and use your memories as a distraction whilst they carry out there objectives.

Ive also had these dreams where i wake up in this state and find a stranger who jumps in and takes me away from a confusing - this is not right situation. They take me to a safe enviroment where i again fall back into the dream state and accpet all as is.

One was of being in Ireland. I stood in a busy street and felt led to a stand. As i walked i "came around" and looked at my destination and felt it was wrong. I carried on towards it and suddenly felt alone as others met at this place. A man came along, introduced himself and hugged me. He was very happy to meet me. He took me away from this "wrong place" and i met his wife. They mad me tea which i didnt drink and talked of their life here. It all made sense but ask me now what they told me and i cannot answer. I last recall hugging them both and thanking them before losing memory and waking up in the early hours of the morning.

My experiences only happen between the hours of 3am and 6am - this i have noticed over time. (and waking up at six am isnt welcome to me)

Anyone else experienced similar?

My first night time oddity was when i was 8 years old when i dreamt i was with other children stood before a flat staircase. It looked like a cavern but was far to smooth in its design. I thought to myself "yippee, im going to see an alien" What i saw looked asian but too small and i remember feeling unsatisfied with this. < this is all i remember >

At the age of 9-10 i sat in my bedroom and after reading a starwars comic wondered whether such things lived away from earth and asked out right in my bedroom - if such things where real. I looked above my lamp shade and saw a image form that smiled to me - it scared me to death!

the thing went away - melted away.

I remember this now and can still feel the surprise and god like fear. This led to future night time situations where i awoke looking one way and being also able to see the other too.

On one occasion i saw what i called then a white man - ghost like thing that hid when i saw it.

Later i found my bed clothes would be inside out on some occasions when i got up in the morning often confusing my parents.

In my teens came the big one that offered clarity to my questions. This was a time when the internet didnt exist yet and only books offered help.

I will stop here for i am aware that my posting will be seen by all and i face embarassment and ridicule.
nostro75Offline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 23-09-2009 08:35    Post subject: Sp Reply with quote

Ive had sleep paralasis a few times since I was 15, it is allways accompanied by the feeling of little THINGS walking up my bed. Also with a kind of electrical popping feeling. It used to scare the crap out of me but now I just dont struggle and let it pass by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: