Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Black Stick Man
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1793
PostPosted: 14-12-2011 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sarcastic, moi?

Hey! Quit trashing my opinions!
AngelAliceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 723
PostPosted: 17-12-2011 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
filch wrote:
*bump*

Re-reading this thread again reminding me of this video (I'm sure most have seen).

And this also came up

Looks like someone walking in a cloak in a good wind. You can see the fabric billow at the hem across the entire figure.

I agree,I don't think it looks weird at all, it just looks like a person in a cloak or a loose coat. Are we both missing something? I don't get what the fuss is about.
AtomicBadgerOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 18-12-2011 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this gets brought up constantly whenever a piece of footage turns up, but what is with the absolutely abysmal quality of the Fresno Nightwalker footage? I should think in the days of everyone and anyone having a Droid in their backpocket this sort of thing ought really to be a thing of the past, and yet. Does grainy low-light footage just somehow seem more authentic for this sort of thing or what?

Anyway, yeah, have to agree with the "it's someone in a cloak" sentiment. In fact, the first thing I thought was it was someone in a plain old sheet like an old school Halloween ghost.
Electric_MonkOffline
I'm the Easter Platypus!
Total posts: 966
PostPosted: 19-12-2011 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the quality is to be expected - video cameras don't do well in low light, even modern phones that can record HD do so best in bright sunlight. I've got a recent HD camcorder at home which has an amazing picture in daylight, but is barely usable indoors. When they make TV shows, if you see the set you'll realise that a dark, dimly lit interior shot is actually quite bright, to counter the crappiness of the cameras. To record anything that's actually dark, you'll get lots of grain as seen in the Fresno Nightwalker footage, caused by electromagnetic noise on the sensor (caused by turning the gain from the input up to the max, as it strains to see)

In the case of Fresno Nightwalker specifically, it looks fairly convincingly like what an average security camera will film. Assuming it's older (not a new HD digital security camera, but an older analog, or cheaper digital, US one) the resolution is probably 720x480, which is pretty low. Combined with the low light causing a lot of grain, I think the picture is pretty acceptable. I've seen some expensive cameras with very good IR modes, and they'd produce a picture something like this without any surrounding lighting, albeit with less grain.
paranoid420Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 81
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 05:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beX2aMws_qw

I hope this is fake, because i am scared. I don't have any more information other than its in Russia and this video scrolled by on my Facebook. 2nd video is same thing with some negative imaging. Please comfort me me by saying it's fake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikFjU499bk

And this picture i found on Godlikeproductions (yes i know they are nuts) supposedly pictures from a cell phone taken in Spain, i don't know anything else about them either.

http://i.imgur.com/im3gs.jpg
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2266
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it so interesting that so many people seem to believe in Slenderman, a legend that we know was completely fabricated.
Is it because we want to believe because believing is more fun than not believing?
UrvogelOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 152
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling fake on the video, the shadows don't seem to match up. Also a very dubious source. Still, it's a pretty good video.

liveinabin1 wrote:
I find it so interesting that so many people seem to believe in Slenderman, a legend that we know was completely fabricated.
Is it because we want to believe because believing is more fun than not believing?

In a weird way, I think slenderman is a bit like Santa. He's a fabricated myth, but people who know he's fake still act and treat him like he's real. People who don't know he's fabricated though are likely to think he's real, and the other people treating him as real only supports that.
IamSundogOffline
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 06:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is fake because the cameraman starts out pointing at the surface of the building where the creature is going to be walking before the creature arrives there. Which indicates that the cameraman knew where the creature was going to go ahead of time...because he/she was going to place it there with their software. If there were a real creature, the cameraman would start out focusing [i]on the creature itself[i] and then follow it wherever it went, with no apparent foreknowledge of its path.

The same mistake betrays many a fake UFO video. "Oh I was just videotaping nothing in particular for no reason whatsoever and suddenly this strange vehicle appeared!"
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10452
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
The video is fake because the cameraman starts out pointing at the surface of the building where the creature is going to be walking before the creature arrives there. Which indicates that the cameraman knew where the creature was going to go ahead of time...because he/she was going to place it there with their software. If there were a real creature, the cameraman would start out focusing [i]on the creature itself[i] and then follow it wherever it went, with no apparent foreknowledge of its path.

The same mistake betrays many a fake UFO video. "Oh I was just videotaping nothing in particular for no reason whatsoever and suddenly this strange vehicle appeared!"

Spot on! Well observed.
IamSundogOffline
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a cool looking video though.
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some kind of insect crawling across the lens.
birdyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 127
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:

I thought Black Stick Man pre-dated the internet sensation that is Slenderman? I had just assumed that Slendie is an urban myth/meme that had some roots in Stick Man-like stories.

Got a real soft-spot for old Stick Man, just hope I never bump into one.
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of you to post the photo here. At the moment I'm banned from Godlikeproductions - because of nothing. Laughing
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1529
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdy wrote:
I thought Black Stick Man pre-dated the internet sensation that is Slenderman? I had just assumed that Slendie is an urban myth/meme that had some roots in Stick Man-like stories.

Yes, black stick men pre-date the Internet. They don't have to be tall: some are reported as average in height (for humans), and some are reported to be as small as 12 inches.

Slenderman is completely different, and made-up. He's not a black stick figure, just really, really tall.
solestriOffline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
Slenderman is completely different, and made-up. He's not a black stick figure, just really, really tall.

Yeah, I’m not sure why people are tagging that video and those photos as “Slenderman”, other than a lack of creativity and/or knowledge. Barring his origins as a photoshop challenge on Something Awful, Slenderman is definitely more in the urban legend/folklore category of things; He’s Bloody Mary for the internet age.

Stick men are more of a shadow figure/ultraterrestrial/thing-I-saw-in-the-headlights phenomenon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: