Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Perception gnomes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tunn11Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 15:45    Post subject: Perception gnomes Reply with quote

Hello – long time lurker on this forum but now with early retirement and more time to spare I thought I’d join in and this seemed the best place to start with one of the few Fortean things that have ever happened to me.

This happened about forty five years ago so there are all the usual caveats about memory! We lived in a South London suburb in what was termed an “Ayling Bungalow.” Basically a semi with two upstairs bedrooms, the front doors were on the side of the house and faced each other so that our drive and next doors were right next to each other.

It was a summer evening, nearly dark and the streetlights, those that used to give a very yellow light, were on. My mother was at the end of the drive speaking to our neighbour. Our ‘phone rang and I answered, I forget what it was but it was someone wanting to speak to Mum so I asked them to hang on and marched up to the end of the drive. As I got to the end of the dive, waiting for a break in their conversation I glanced up the road.

There, under a street lamp and walking toward me down the pavement was a black and white, eighteen inch high gnome. Think a black and white Big Ears from the Noddy books; sauntering towards me with one hand on his hip (Quite a camp gnome if I think about it). I said something intelligent like “Uuuarrgh.” And pointed at it. My mother and our neighbour both turned to look and I must have looked at them. I certainly looked away from the gnome. It must have looked very similar to the scene in South park where Butters sees the “underpants gnomes.”

“What?” Said my mother, “It’s only that dog.” These were the days when it was quite normal for people to allow their dogs to roam about on their own, cr*pping everywhere, barking at people and doing whatever else it is that lone dogs like doing.

I looked back and it was indeed only a small black and white dog that I had seen many times before and as I mumbled about thinking I had seen something else and passed on my message it ambled past unconcerned.

Now maybe a race of small black and white gnomes have developed an excellent disguise but, disappointingly, it is more likely that for that second or two the markings on the dog under that light presented an optical illusion that, had I not looked back again would have had me convinced that I had seen something very strange.
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tunn, interesting stuff there.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those street lights - were they the orange ones?
I remember them making it difficult to see some things properly, as they changed light and shade and made all colours look the same.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13719
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my own Black Dog sighting. Shocked

Driving home very late one night after a long day, as I approached a junction I saw a huge black dog standing there. It was clear in every detail and as big as a car.

As I drew nearer, staring and gaping, the dog suddenly turned into, yes, a car. I passed the junction and drove on home.

Obviously my tired eyes were playing tricks on me and it had been a car all along. But for those few seconds… Laughing
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26561
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 22:20    Post subject: Re: Perception gnomes Reply with quote

Tunn11 wrote:
Hello – long time lurker on this forum...

But you missed the Misperceptions thread! Wink

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=545614#545614
Quote:
A thread for stories where you thought you experienced something weird or ghostly or odd, but then realised it was after all something mundane that you had temporarily misperceived.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 265
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP you sure you've not posted this before? I got a strong sense of deja vu reading this whole thread - not something I've ever had before. Some Minor Strangeness from the Minor Strangeness thread has leaked into this one.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 07:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very old IHTM thread about little gnomes playing about on a golf course.
Tunn11Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 08:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, to answer some of the points you’ve raised

Mythopoeika wrote:
Those street lights - were they the orange ones?
I remember them making it difficult to see some things properly, as they changed light and shade and made all colours look the same.

Mythopoeika Yes, they gave out an orangey light that did tend to make some detail look odd, especially when it wasn’t completely dark. It may be made the black and white more obvious. One thing that struck me at the time was that it was black and white with no trace of residual colour.

Rynner Indeed I did Embarassed – something odd about missing a misperception thread! With limited time I think I’ve tended to lurk around certain topics more than others, but thanks I’ll enjoy catching up on it later. If any Mods feel it should be moved, please do.

Naughty Felid – No, this is my first post on the forum and I’ve not posted the story anywhere else. Has someone else seen them? Maybe there is a race of black and white gnomes…

Escargot, There’s also the quite famous one about them driving around in little cars. While I was interested in Fortean subjects at the time I would have thought that any pre disposition I had to see something would have been an alien or a ghost, so it must have really looked like a gnome for that fraction of a second. Like the car story, that must have looked like one huge dog.

Sorry tried to quote the relevant line from each person but failed miserably after the first quote.
gellatly68Offline
dashing,handsome & modest
Total posts: 98
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same thing before - I once saw what appeared to be a disembodied head shuffling towards me. It turned into a cat. Rolling Eyes
Another time I could have sworn that I saw a dog and a mouse sharing a fag. They turned into a pair of bin bags. Laughing
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 449
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something along these lines on this page, third story from the bottom

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/yorkshire/Pages/york.php?pageNum_paradata=2&totalRows_paradata=69

Quote:

Metamorphic Paper

Type: Unknown Ghost Type
Date / Time: 1717
Further Comments: Sir John Reresby reported watching a piece of paper blowing in the wind change into a monkey before transforming into a bear.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

gellatly68 wrote:
I've had the same thing before - I once saw what appeared to be a disembodied head shuffling towards me.

A former boyfriend, out on the ale with his brother, noticed his brother's disembodied head calling to him from the ground a little way up the road. Shocked

The brother was calling 'Help me! Help me! I've had an accident!'
My ex ran off in drunken fear, leaving his brother stranded down a workmen's hole with a broken leg.

He'd fallen into it, dragging all the barriers and lights down with him, and had managed to pull himself up until he could see his brother and shout to him.
That didn't help one bit. He was there until somebody sober found him some hours later.
Laughing
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 135
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That didn't help one bit. He was there until somebody sober found him some hours later.

All-right, I shouldn't laugh...

Re: The misperceptions. I remember having several of these, although it was before I got my glasses; doesn't seem to have happened much since then. I remember once walking along by a chain-link fence one night when it was dark and damp, but street lights on and making out a thin, almost skeletal shape clinging to the fence, as if climbing along it. You know those times when you think, 'Well, that can't be right,' because it cannot be real, but your eyes are telling you it's real? I had a long moment of absolute freezing terror, until I saw it was a black bin bag that had caught on the fence and was moving a bit in the wind. How I made up some 'ghoul' (that was what entered my head) from that I don't know. But I was short-sighted even then, but sans glasses, and my eyes were obviously trying to make something out of this vague shape.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about bags flapping about in the wind, reminds me of an incident over 20 years ago... I was still living with my parents at the time.
An old neighbour across the road rang my Mum in a bit of a panic. She was talking about seeing somebody skulking around outside, hiding behind my Dad's car.
She said 'I can see him! He keeps standing up, then ducking down!'.
So I went outside.
It was just a plastic bin bag caught on the side of the car, flapping in the wind.
The neighbour was a little embarrassed. Smile
liveinabin1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1880
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to something the other day about this. They said that it was because when we are in a 'low state'; stressed, ill, drunk, that kind of thing, our brains take a short cut and make snap decisions about what we can see, erring on the side of caution. This means that if we see a stick in the grass our brain takes the quick and dirty route to find what it is and comes up with snake. If we allow ourselves a little time then our brain takes the long route and decides it is just a stick.

That said I was listening to this while on my morning run. Every time I go I come up to a combination of a green box and lamppost in the street that I'm sure is a man, every time.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1987
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't happened in years but going back to the early 90s, there was a wall by my house with a section that I often mistook for a stripey cat out of the corner of my eye.

Maybe I was very tired and stressed at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: