Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Meteors
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: 24-07-2001 15:25    Post subject: Meteors Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a photo of this?
senkel
Grey
PostPosted: 08-10-2001 22:49    Post subject: rainbow Reply with quote

I don't know about any pictures, but during the 2000 Leonid shower I saw several radiant trails that lingered, sometimes turning rainbow-colors. Check it out!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 08-10-2001 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

post some piccys then
Very Happy

cas
senkel
Grey
PostPosted: 11-10-2001 23:24    Post subject: Rainbow meteor Reply with quote

Sorry, no pix to post! I wish I'd thought of that, but I had never seen the like before, either. Since then, though, I have read that it's not at all unusual, like seeing the smoke trail or hearing the meteor hiss (burn) as it goes overhead.

Several years ago I did see one that had flames trailing off behind it -- that was really dramatic!

Anyone else?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 09-11-2001 16:37    Post subject: Comets over Holland Reply with quote

Around 27th of october, I was in Alphen an de Rijn in the south of Holland. At one point I saw something in the sky. It was a bit like those flares you see ships use. Except it was moving faster(either downwards or in a diagonal direction away from me) and it turned from blue to yellow in the few seconds I saw it. Was quite big as well.

Anyone know if it was just some special sort of fireworks or so?
austen27Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1335
PostPosted: 09-11-2001 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say what you describe was a meteor. The colours are typical of a meteor as is the rapid transit across the sky. Bright meteors like this are sometimes described as "fire-balls" and are caused by pieces of rock or metal about the size of an egg entering the Earths atmosphere.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 10-11-2001 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it just seemed to me bigger than I would expect some space-object to be. And why would I get to see a meteor? Of course I have not reallly been following the Dutch news(My vocabulary so far limits to one word so I wouldn't gain much), but I do think I would know if something like a meteor had been seen there.
austen27Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1335
PostPosted: 11-11-2001 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small meteors are quite common, you can expect to see a few every night, and because they are moving in the Earths atmosphere they may only be visible over an area of a few tens of square miles. Fire-ball type meteors are rarer but not that infrequent. I saw one about fifteen years ago. They would not be reported in the newspapers unless there wasn't much other news that day.

I think you are still quite lucky to see a meteor.Smile
rynner
PostPosted: 11-11-2001 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a comet, because they are at planetary distances and therefore do not move fast across the sky. (However, observed on binoculars or a telescope, some movement against background stars can often be detected over a few hours.)

Something moving fast across the sky is almost certainly in the atmosphere, so a meteor is favourite. If large and high in the atmosphere they may be seen over an area of several hundred square miles. Sometimes a meteoroid will approach the atmosphere at such a shallow angle that it appears as a meteor for a while before 'bouncing' off into space again. Very exotic.

At a more mundane level, it may just have been aircraft and/or military flares during a night exercise.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 12-11-2001 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it was supposed to be Meteors over Holland. It was just a kind of typo.

It wasn't an aircraft, more likely some sort of flare. It seemed to me not really to be that solid. Some sort of round core at the front and then something I don't know wether it was smoke or flames around it. I guess if it was smoke it would have left some sort of trail.
rynner
PostPosted: 12-11-2001 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you saw this thing at night - I don't think you gave the time. Illumination flares, like distress flares, have small parachutes to slow their fall. Although there is a smoke trail, this is more usually visible if there is a lot of lighting around from the ground, so it sounds more like a flare to me than a meteor.

(Wasteful ground lighting, the kind I hate, as an astronomer - support Campaign for Dark Skies! www.darksky.org )
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 881
PostPosted: 12-11-2001 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw similar things in Uithoorn in 1999/2000, which is, oddly enough, on the same bus route as Alphen aan de Rijn. nearest thing I could think of was parachute flares

8¬)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-11-2001 09:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought when I saw it was flare. But it seemed to me it was moving downwards, which it wouldn't if it had just been shot out. And if it was falling it should be moving slow becase of the parachute. Of course I have only seen flares on TV. The people I were with(residents of Alphen An De Rijn) said it was probably just kids playing with fireworks, that they sometimes did that. But they didn't see it, and it didn't look like fireworks to me. I think they have an astronomy section at the local university, I guess I should ask them instead.
rynner
PostPosted: 13-11-2001 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

A parachute flare fired from the ground is propelled by a conventional firework type rocket, but the actual bright flare itself does not ignite until the thing begins to descend on its parachute. So you would only see it descending (unless you happened to be looking the right way to the rocket on the way up, which is much less bright).
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-11-2001 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! I just found some sightings on the internet of it. It has been seen in several countries. It is an actual meteor, nice birthday gift Smile I should have run out of the house and looked for it then, but I expected it was fireworks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: