Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Public Art (previously 'Celtic Cross for Saltash')
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25625
PostPosted: 22-08-2012 21:23    Post subject: Public Art (previously 'Celtic Cross for Saltash') Reply with quote

Saltash Celtic Cross could generate millions says project leader

Millions of pounds could be generated for the Cornish economy following the installation of a huge Celtic Cross, says the leader of the project.
The cross is being sited in Saltash near the Tamar Bridge as part of a woodland regeneration programme.

Joe Ellison, a Saltash town councillor and project leader, says the cross could become "Cornwall's equivalent of the Angel of the North".
It is currently being assembled in an aircraft hangar at Newquay.
Mr Ellison said: "It's going to be a reason for people to stop off in Saltash instead of passing through the Saltash tunnel."

The 20m (66 ft) cross is made of carbon and resin and will be finished in copper, gold and silver. The copper element is designed to reflect Cornwall's history of mining the metal.

Cornwall is extremely rich in Celtic crosses. According to the Federation of Old Cornwall Societies there are more than 400 complete Celtic stone crosses standing in the county.

The giant structure, one single piece, had originally been expected to be in place by March, but was delayed because of the size of the project, organisers said.
Artist Simon Thomas said: "I have been waiting 13 years to get to this point. It's fantastic to see it in this state."

The Mayor of Saltash, Martin Gee, said: "This is iconic. This is going to be the same size as the Angel of the North. It will welcome people into Saltash and the rest of Cornwall.
"You're going to come across the Tamar Bridge and it's going to be an experience for people to see."
The project was awarded £450,000 of lottery funding in March 2010. Saltash Town Council gave £50,000 towards the scheme.

The Angel of the North has generated about £20m for the Tyne and Wear area where it is located.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-19341692

Last edited by rynner2 on 28-06-2014 08:42; edited 1 time in total
eminaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 148
PostPosted: 24-08-2012 20:42    Post subject: Re: Celtic Cross for Saltash Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Saltash Celtic Cross could generate millions says project leader

Millions of pounds could be generated for the Cornish economy following the installation of a huge Celtic Cross, says the leader of the project.
The cross is being sited in Saltash near the Tamar Bridge as part of a woodland regeneration programme.

Joe Ellison, a Saltash town councillor and project leader, says the cross could become "Cornwall's equivalent of the Angel of the North".
It is currently being assembled in an aircraft hangar at Newquay.
Mr Ellison said: "It's going to be a reason for people to stop off in Saltash instead of passing through the Saltash tunnel."

The 20m (66 ft) cross is made of carbon and resin and will be finished in copper, gold and silver. The copper element is designed to reflect Cornwall's history of mining the metal.

Cornwall is extremely rich in Celtic crosses. According to the Federation of Old Cornwall Societies there are more than 400 complete Celtic stone crosses standing in the county.

The giant structure, one single piece, had originally been expected to be in place by March, but was delayed because of the size of the project, organisers said.
Artist Simon Thomas said: "I have been waiting 13 years to get to this point. It's fantastic to see it in this state."

The Mayor of Saltash, Martin Gee, said: "This is iconic. This is going to be the same size as the Angel of the North. It will welcome people into Saltash and the rest of Cornwall.
"You're going to come across the Tamar Bridge and it's going to be an experience for people to see."
The project was awarded £450,000 of lottery funding in March 2010. Saltash Town Council gave £50,000 towards the scheme.

The Angel of the North has generated about £20m for the Tyne and Wear area where it is located.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-19341692

Bizarre!

There's a photo here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15399516

It looks like some kind of strange prop from a psychedelic, 60s sci-fi series.

... and I mean that as a compliment! Very Happy
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2012 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground is cleared for Saltash Celtic Cross

An area of ground in Cornwall is being cleared ready for a 20m (66ft) Celtic cross to be put up.
Devon and Cornwall Air Cadets have been working at Elwell Woods in preparation for the Saltash Celtic Cross to arrive.

The cross, which will be near the Tamar Bridge, is part of a woodland regeneration programme and it is hoped will attract tourists into the town.
It is anticipated that the cross, designed by Simon Thomas, will be put up in January.

Joe Ellison, a Saltash town councillor and project leader, said: "This is the final stage. The cross itself is virtually finished now, there's one component still to be manufactured.
"Because of the sheer length it can't go through the Glynn Valley to Saltash so it's going to have to go via the A30 to Exeter and back over the bridge to Saltash."

The cross is made of carbon and resin and will be finished in gold, silver and copper to reflect Cornwall's history of mining.
Mr Ellison said: "We think it will bring visitors into Saltash, who will bring money into Saltash and it will be a good way of re-generating the town."

In January an orchard with up to 20 varieties of Cornish apple will also be planted at the site as part of the project in a bid to restore it to its original use.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20015786

Bio of the artist is here:
http://simonthomas-sculpture.com/biography.php
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-10-2012 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

The cross is made of carbon and resin and will be finished in gold, silver and copper to reflect Cornwall's history of mining.
Mr Ellison said: "We think it will bring visitors into Saltash, who will bring money into Saltash and it will be a good way of re-generating the town."

How unutterably depressing. Kitsch fakery piled on fakery, only on a ludicrously over-sized scale.

It's a bit like a ghost town, on some forgotten route across America, where, back in the Fifties, some enterprising snack bar franchise owner commissioned a vast, concrete, roadside snack-bar shaped like a giant doughnut, advertising, 'Home of the World's Biggest Donut', in the hopes of attracting tourists and passing trade.

Sad
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2012 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
How unutterably depressing. Kitsch fakery piled on fakery, only on a ludicrously over-sized scale.

And what's your opinion of that great lump of steel outside Gateshead, then? Wink

Artist Simon Thomas, on his Celtic Cross: "The build-technique is of copper-clad cast reinforced concrete with highlights of gold leaf and stainless steel, reaching a height of sixty two feet (nineteen metres)."
I like his stuff - he uses a lot of maths. Cool

I don't know where the beeb got "carbon and resin" from. (But carbon fibre and resin is a very strong, modern construction material.)
RavenstoneOffline
I suffer bad press in Genesis. I may sue...
Total posts: 6073
PostPosted: 20-10-2012 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count yourself lucky. Ilfracombe got lumbered with one of Damien Hirst's castoffs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-19960118

Ironically, it was made in Gloucestershire.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 21-10-2012 02:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenstone wrote:
Count yourself lucky. Ilfracombe got lumbered with one of Damien Hirst's castoffs.

Totally off topic but I think I am in lust with your Avatar. Shocked
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 21-10-2012 03:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:

Possible harassment suit?
RavenstoneOffline
I suffer bad press in Genesis. I may sue...
Total posts: 6073
PostPosted: 21-10-2012 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Zilch5 wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:

Possible harassment suit?

Looking at the fangs, I think my avatar can look after herself Wink
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1292
PostPosted: 22-10-2012 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Morecambe however, we have a statue of a mother throwing her baby into Morecambe Bay! Thankfully, its licence is up, so hopefully it won't be there much longer.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/morecambe-and-district-news/councils-have-no-love-for-cupid-1-2877157

The sculpture showing the view of the Lake District on the other side of the bay is a great idea and very popular.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1234398

And of course we have 'our Eric':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eric_Morecambe_statue_-_Morecambe,_Lancashire,_England.jpg

This is the Morecambe tourist board signing off!
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 743
PostPosted: 22-10-2012 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever drive through saltash when I go on holiday to pentewan, and I'd rather get as far as st austell before I stop anywhere. If I stop at saltash I will find myself in a big traffic jam.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1105
PostPosted: 22-10-2012 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Saltash seems an odd place IMHO, as its a sort of an in-between town. I was born and raised in Penzance & I've been thru Saltash hundreds of times on my way to and from Cornwall, but I've never stopped there. I hope it does bring some money to the area, but I don't see why it would Confused
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornish cross sculpture nears completion
[video]
18 February 2013 Last updated at 19:20

A project to erect a 62ft (18.9m) Celtic cross beside the River Tamar in Cornwall is nearing completion.
The cross is made of carbon and resin and has been finished in gold, silver and copper to reflect Cornwall's history of mining.
It has been designed to welcome people coming into Cornwall from Devon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-21500401

I still haven't figured out exactly where it will stand...
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 743
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cross that bridge every year, the tamar, but it does not say where the statue will be.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-04-2013 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up! (No, not that, missus!)

Saltash Celtic cross marks Cornwall boundary

A 20m-high Celtic cross has been erected as a landmark on the Cornwall county boundary.
Those behind the structure beside the River Tamar at Saltash hope it will help boost the number of visitors to the town.

The two-tonne cross is made of carbon fibre and resin impregnated with copper and was created with £450,000 of lottery funding.
Saltash Town Council gave £50,000 towards the cross.

The cross was lifted into place by three cranes early on Sunday on the Saltash side of the River Tamar.
Duncan Healey of constructors Gateguards at Newquay said: "I'm mesmerised by it.
"I have lived with it for over a year, but when it was lifted out of the truck to the vertical I was absolutely gobsmacked by it." Cool

The colour of the cross's pillar is achieved by the oxidisation of the copper, impregnated in resin and then bead-blasted to bring the copper to the surface.

Liam Bradley, chairman of the Saltash Waterfront Residents Association, called the cross, near the famous Brunel railway bridge, a "modern feat of engineering to be proud of".
He said: "The cross was an afterthought, the original plan was to develop the Elwell woods which have been unused since 1961 and had become a wilderness.
"We hope it will become an iconic landmark, our version of the Angel of the North, so people don't just pass by Saltash, but go in.
"We are expecting another 50,000 people in the town every year. Keeping shops open is worth its weight in gold."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-22230081
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: