Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Google know what everyone who has ever searched for anything
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6111
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we had a thread about weird search-engine requests. Perhaps it was in Chat and slipped off the edge.

Anyway this site has a list of the things that Google might be recording.

Supposing you now try, "Tony Blair caught cottaging" it gets one hit - the above list of demented search strings.

But now I have written this, it may get two hits, if Google can get into the FT site without a Masonic handshake. This could be the start of something big. Evil or Very Mad
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think this sort of thing should only worry pedos and terrorists and if you're neither of those why the heck would you care?
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10011
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
I thought we had a thread about weird search-engine requests. Perhaps it was in Chat and slipped off the edge.

Anyway this site has a list of the things that Google might be recording.

Supposing you now try, "Tony Blair caught cottaging" it gets one hit - the above list of demented search strings.

But now I have written this, it may get two hits, if Google can get into the FT site without a Masonic handshake. This could be the start of something big. Evil or Very Mad

I've seen FT posts listed in searches on Google, so I presume that they have everything in here indexed.

I used to work for a search engine company (now sadly dead, because of the dot com collapse), and we had a weekly league table of the most bizarre search terms that people were using. Highly amusing sometimes. Also, we found out the most common searches.
Through the use of cookies, we tracked people's preferences through the search terms they were entering, and were able to work out trends in searching. This helped us to tailor our indexing activities to suit the demand. Note that we deliberately didn't track any aspect of an individual's personal details, as that would have been morally questionable. Other companies are less high-minded these days.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:
I really think this sort of thing should only worry pedos and terrorists and if you're neither of those why the heck would you care?

Great palliative cliches of the modern era:

"If you've done nothing wrong, then you've nothing to fear."

"Nobody move. Nobody get hurt..."

Rolling Eyes
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
ghostdog19 wrote:

Rolling Eyes
and you're mocking my post because?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
ghostdog19 wrote:

Rolling Eyes
and you're mocking my post because?

Duh! Rolling Eyes

To be fair.

Think of all things you, or any other FTMB member might have 'Googled™', in an idle moment, following some outlandish claim, or other. Fixed in an ever growing database and cross referenced against other searches. Gradually building a comprehensive personal profile of that person. Cool

Claims about it only worrying the likes of modern day, 'bête noire', like 'pedos and terrorists', might just be a foot in the door, don't you think?

Intended to sooth our fears and dull our senses. Wink
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
To be fair.

Think of all things you, or any other FTMB member might have 'Googled™', in an idle moment, following some outlandish claim, or other. Fixed in an ever growing database and cross referenced against other searches. Gradually building a comprehensive personal profile of that person. Cool

You can pretty much seee how this sort of thing works when you log into Amazon if you have an account there and they make recommendations etc. Market research and government regional statistics, everything is subcatagorised in this so called enlightened age of information untill we're narrowed down to little statistical boxes we'd not recognise for our own, but reflected of our credit card bills, phone calls and preferred tv stations. The cars we buy to the food we eat.

Wasn't there a claim that the FEDS checked lending lists at libraries? Or was that just in a movie called Se7en?
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:

Claims about it only worrying the likes of modern day, 'bête noire', like 'pedos and terrorists', might just be a foot in the door, don't you think?

Wink
Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5486
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:

Because the erosion of our rights is not something to be taken lightly. I am neither a terrorist or a paedophile, and I do not want anybody to listen to my private conversations or look at my internet cache. Who determines what is of interest to the authorities? How do we know they won't suddenly decide to flag people who are reading the FTMB, as it contains information about global conspiracies, and political discussion on the Gulf situation?

It's easy to tell the people who've never had a problem with the law. They're the ones who think they have nothing to fear.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:

Wink
Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at.

I know. Hence the rather cruel, 'Duh!'

More Modern day cliches:

"Knowledge is Power."

"Know thine enemy."

"Cradle to grave."

Some links to mull over (Searched from Google):
http://www.computerpartner.nl/article.php?news=int&id=3305
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/mar2006/gb20060330_385311.htm
http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm
morningstar667Offline
Small brown and green thing-may be a vermeer
Total posts: 280
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled morningstar667 and got 71 hits all relating to posts on here. Not surprised. The interesting or uninteresting thing is it didn't show all of my posts (129). Ask.com came up blank. Yahoo came up with 45. Curious.
Anyone else tried it?

IMO if anyone was collecting data from here all they's see is "Oh boy we got us a skeptic!" Laughing
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anome_ wrote:
It's easy to tell the people who've never had a problem with the law. They're the ones who think they have nothing to fear.
thanks for speaking plainly, Anome, much appreciated.

I mentioned earlier that marketing selects things statistically. there are parties that already know what car you buy what food you eat what general preferences you have. the government currently statistically group neighbourhoods (or boroughs) according to post codes. so though you may live at said post code you may be surprised by who the government supposes you are. Your post code reflects the number of children you are likely to have (four apparently) even if you don't have any... it is even reflective of the sort of name you're likely to have. Be it Keith or Charles, your postcode says your name is more likely to be "Brian". Point being, they're already listening in. surely with more information they can only get you correct, therefore the old cliche 'if you've done nothing wrong...'

So we're already subject to catagorisation that on reflection we'd argue doesn't suit us. I don't know how the government then uses this information, likely it's used to aid local council spending. But I see your concerns for being labelled for the wrong thing now you've pointed those out.
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 08:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

morningstar667 wrote:
IMO if anyone was collecting data from here all they's see is "Oh boy we got us a skeptic!"
or better yet a stack of condescending emoticons.
RealPaZZaOffline
A Very Naughty Boy &
Total posts: 616
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 08:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

the link in the first post works, but doesnt take you to anytihng about google Sad
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 08:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooooooooooooooh, mysterious! maybe it's "Them"
morningstar667Offline
Small brown and green thing-may be a vermeer
Total posts: 280
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 09:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:
morningstar667 wrote:
IMO if anyone was collecting data from here all they's see is "Oh boy we got us a skeptic!"
or better yet a stack of condescending emoticons.

Is this meant as an insult? rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: